Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: vauxhall omega Oil Warning Light Flickering When going up a steep hill  (Read 3079 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile

Hi wander if anyone can help. I went out today and when I went up a steep hill (Gleniffer Braes, Average grade: roughly 7 %), near to me. The car was fine untill I got about half way up, then the oil light flickered dimly. So I turned round and nursed it slowly down, when back on level ground it still flickered dimly every now and then. Switched it off and left it for around 3/4 hours, started it and drove home slowly watching for the light. It didn't come back on. I then had to move it slightly from where it was parked, Oil and all other lights went out and stayed off. Now waiting for a while to check the oil level, even though no warning came up for it. Could it have been that with the incline and maybe the oil being hot from the climb and  low but not enough for the warning to come up on the display, going slightly to the back of the sump causing it? The temperature gauge only rose a little bit from where it is normal, then came back down to normal and stayed there when driving down and back home.

Any suggestions will be gratefull. I hope it is simply due to the climb and it isn't something drastic.  Don't seem to be having much luck with FL models, always had PFL and had no where as much trouble.

Thanks
Addy
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile

Probably a faulty pressure switch, quite common on Vauxhalls and not expensive.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile

oil pressure and oil level are 2 different sensors
today was warm and if your car oil was hot ,it will be thinner(less pressure)

oil level could read low on a steep incline
a low enough level could starve the pick up ,resulting in low pressure too

keep an eye on the dipstick

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile

Thanks for the replies. Yes it was sunny up here today, that is why I was going up the Braes to see the view (best laid plans :D). As said it has never done it before. I am doing a oil service as a precaution. I thought it might be the outside temperature and the climb upsetting it, needed someone to say it could be.

Thanks again.
Addy

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile

I get a message on the MID saying "check oil level" after about 5k after oil change. Always right up the dipstick when i do check it so ignore it then do the oil change at 6k-ish :D

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile

The Famous "Check Oil Level" never came up.  I remember on my old Omega, the first time that message appeared I wandered what was happening.  ;D

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile

I remember when the oil light came on in my first omega as it meant the engine had been nicely rebored despite my checking the level numerous times and I changed it twice...

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile

if you have never checked its worth taking the lower sump off and checking the pick up pipe.they can block up and cause starvation.a badly blocked pick up plus hot oil plus low effective oil level due to the incline can cause the light to come on. when i first got mine it drove local journeys fine but first long journey when the oil got hotter brought the light on. the pick up filter was all but blocked! .bits of all sorts end up in the sump ,silicone ,bits of scraped off gasket ,carbon etc etc.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile

Thanks for the help. I am going to purchase a oil pressure meter, what should the pressure be in PSI? I have found that The oil pressure should be approx. 150 kPa (1.5) at idle speed, did a conversion to PSI and it came up with 21.75psi approx. Is this the correct psi for a 2002 2.6 engine.

Addy

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile

Are you sure that you need to purchase an oil pressure meter? You might frighten yourself! As engines wear, oil pressure drops from "factory fresh" values.....

Ron.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile

I was going to purchase one, but will leave it now. Thanks for that advice, saved me. Will still do oil/filter change

What are the best sump gasket, one from Vauxhall or any OEM make for my year and engine?

Addy

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

I was going to purchase one, but will leave it now. Thanks for that advice, saved me. Will still do oil/filter change

What are the best sump gasket, one from Vauxhall or any OEM make for my year and engine?

Addy
Grey goo from Vauxhall  :y unlikely to have a gasket fitted :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile

Doen't sound too healthy addy, been up glennifer braea and all other hills around here and never had oil light come on (Fe%&in jinxed that now wait you see 😃 )

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

I assume you've checked the oil level?

The pressure switch is a possibility, as is a blocked strainer, but also a sticking relief valve.

It might actually be worth investing in that pressure gauge just to save you taking it to bits for no reason.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile

if you are doing an oil change anyway its got to be worth dropping the sump off to check strainer pick up.also check o ring at pipe flange and replace if poss.as for the sump mine is sealed with gm sealer only(no gasket)leave to set overnight to be sure and fill up day after. if you find no problems with the strainer at least you will have removed that nagging doubt.
what oil are you using ? mine has 10w/40 gm oil in it obviously a thinner oil will produce lower pressure at idle when hot .as will old oil or a part blocked oil filter.
the idea of putting a guage on to test is a good idea and will show just what is actually happening. dont be surprised to see quite a low reading when hot at idle but the light should only come on below approx 0.5 bar. mine was dropping to zero at idle and bringing the light on before i unblocked the pick up and afterwards it gave 2.5bar at idle and approx 4.5 at revs.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.