Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Handbrake cable adjuster thread rusty and very stiff  (Read 6192 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

In my 2.2 MOT exhaust manifold failure tester advised imbalanced handbrake with excess lever travel. I have adjusted it at the wheels, tried to adjust it at single cable end, but it's very rusty and hard to turn the nut. I am not sure whether I am turning the nut or twisting the cable. I suppose I need a new lever end cable. Any tips? 

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Handbrake cable adjuster thread rusty and very stiff
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2018, 15:03:36 »

can you get small mole grips in to hold the short cable ?
I'd have thought ,a local motor factor could probably have you a short cable ,same day /next day

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2018, 15:38:07 »

Read the guide, follow it and report back :y

Incidentally, a new cable is £30 and a doddle to fit from a pit or ramp :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2018, 16:42:50 »

Thanks for advice, gents. It may be I can get hold of the cable end with a mole wrench and run a tap up it to clean it. Failing that, I could  cut it and replace it somehow. As you say, my pit makes it a much easier task. Main job at the moment is to get and install the new exhaust manifold and get it through its MOT.
I had hoped to change the drop links too (another advisory) but those threads are rusty too.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2018, 19:46:28 »

There is a you tube clip[can't do links]showing how you can use a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone on rusty nuts/bolts and it actually works. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2018, 21:19:28 »

Thanks for advice, gents. It may be I can get hold of the cable end with a mole wrench and run a tap up it to clean it. Failing that, I could  cut it and replace it somehow. As you say, my pit makes it a much easier task. Main job at the moment is to get and install the new exhaust manifold and get it through its MOT.
I had hoped to change the drop links too (another advisory) but those threads are rusty too.
Terry, do yourself a favour and stop making life difficult.

Fitting a new cable and following the adjustment guide will take less time than making the existing rusty and stretched cable work properly.

Similarly, cut the drop links off and fit new. Even £5 ones will last long enough to make the next MoT. Again not worth messing around with.  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2018, 21:27:19 »

Fitting a new cable and following the adjustment guide will take less time than making the existing rusty and stretched cable work properly.

Similarly, cut the drop links off and fit new. Even £5 ones will last long enough to make the next MoT. Again not worth messing around with.  :y

That.

You're going to really struggle 'cleaning up' the threads with the cable fitted above the exhausts, and it's not worth putting it back when a new one is about £25.

As for the droplinks, if the nuts don't undo FIRST TIME, then do us all a favour, adopt a professional approach and cut the bloody things off. They are not worth spending any effort on.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2018, 21:43:07 »

∆∆∆∆∆this.

Stop continually trying to bodge, and save 10p, fit a new one and save time, because it will only need doing again next mot..
Hoof'land storeman.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2018, 22:40:08 »

OK. You say the front cable is available from Vx dealers at £30, great, and swopping it simple. I could not see a forum guide for it, and did not know if changing it was easy. I have changed a couple of wheel end cables, and it was not too difficult.-

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2018, 22:42:34 »

That.

You're going to really struggle 'cleaning up' the threads with the cable fitted above the exhausts, and it's not worth putting it back when a new one is about £25.

As for the droplinks, if the nuts don't undo FIRST TIME, then do us all a favour, adopt a professional approach and cut the bloody things off. They are not worth spending any effort on.
Cutting off the lower end of the drop link looks easy enough, the upper looks trickier, access tight. Should I use a hacksaw, or airline cutting disc?

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2018, 22:55:39 »

Once you've finished your handbrake you can do mine as its not a bit of use to me at the moment..

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2018, 01:47:16 »

Re drop links, lop off the bottom nuts, then apply full lock and lop off the top one :y

Use weapon of choice... Personally 1/2" socket of suitable size and a breaker bar having first fitted a thin spanner to the flats.

Hand brake front adjuster should not need replacing. Although the nut(s)* will need to be undone to replace the rear cable bar.

* be either a single nyloc nut or two standard nuts...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2018, 07:29:50 »

Access is so tight that a cordless 4.5" angle grinder easily does the job.

I brought up the price of the cable(which has increased since I bought mine 4 years ago), but what makes you think it came from Vauxhall?

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2018, 09:48:29 »

Never had to cut off drop links even when rusty.  Soak thread/nut in penetrating fluid the day before.  Fit a spanner to the flat section to hold /stop spinning   . . use a socket & bar to shift it, then socket & ratchet to fully remove   .  .simple  ;)

But probably quicker to cut them off   ;D ;D
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.