Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Latest con....bbc news  (Read 4497 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Latest con....bbc news
« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2018, 07:40:55 »

These scare stories are as old as time itself, good excuse to tax us all more. They've been telling us we're going to fry in global warming, it hasn't happened, run out of water, it hasn't happened, nuclear war, bird flu none of it has come to fruition like they keep saying it will.

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2018, 08:44:42 »

Anglian have been pissing thousands of gallons out of a leak in an 18" main over the local fields for three weeks - still not repaired as they "need to wait for the pipe to drain under gravity"; a) it's still coming out, which implies it's being replenished (duh, that's how pipes work?) and b) have they not heard of pumps?

But I'm sure my bill will go up to compensate them for all the water they've lost..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2018, 09:53:42 »

I pass at least 2 leaks on my way to work at the moment. Both are pi$$ing out probably the equivalent of an open 22mm pipe, 24/7. Been there since the last cold snap.

Those are just the visible ones.

All of our essential services are suffering from the same thing. Gifting an expensive item of national infrastructure to private business and watching it decay while they reap in the profits, blame the consumer for their own shortcomings, and court government handouts to fund the meagre level of investment they do make.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2018, 10:00:32 »

.. and I have been thinking about collection too. I have a water butt in the garage loft and a heath robinson arrangement to pump water up there from the gutters when it rains. It's amazing how little rain you need to fill a 200 litre butt.

I use it mainly for washing the cars as the mains water is quite hard here. It wouldn't take much to feed at least one of the loos in the house from this.

The problem is that you need MUCH more storage to make any significant inroads into your consumption. A colleague of mine did a self-build and fitted a massive tank buried under the garden along with filters and UV treatment.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2018, 10:03:53 »

The problem is that you need MUCH more storage to make any significant inroads into your consumption. A colleague of mine did a self-build and fitted a massive tank buried under the garden along with filters and UV treatment.

And, IIRC from my conversation with my old neighbour - a plumber - there are quite strict rules on just how large a tank you are allowed and how much rain water you are allowed to 'steal' from the water companies..

..although that's better than the US, where it is actually illegal to collect rain water in some states (it is considered theft)..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2018, 10:08:43 »

Oh, yes, it fell on your land, ran down your roof into your gutter and thence to your tank. You didn't think that made it YOUR water, did you? ;D

I think if you make it big enough to not do it under the radar of building control any more, then you might as well not bother.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2018, 10:37:42 »

My thought was 2-3 IBC tanks (food grade) in the garage (if double or outside if not) kept in the dark and insulated with celotex. This should keep the water at circa 10-12 degrees to avoid legionella. install a ballcock low down to topup in case of low rainfall (chance would be a fine thing!!). Pump to a header tank to run the toilets in the house, outside taps, washing machine etc. Basically any non-potable water.

Filter via several mesh grids and settlement, then add a UV purifier if we wanted to cover potable water. As I say, I think payback would be around 3yrs, but as we haven't been on a water meter for about 5yrs this is based on "typical usage" for 2 people. Once we move and are back on a water meter, I'll make a more informed decision.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2018, 11:03:50 »

These scare stories are as old as time itself, good excuse to tax us all more. They've been telling us we're going to fry in global warming, it hasn't happened, run out of water, it hasn't happened, nuclear war, bird flu none of it has come to fruition like they keep saying it will.

You forgot to mention the new ice age, which was due to start just as they "discovered" global warming.  ;) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2018, 11:11:27 »

All of our essential services are suffering from the same thing. Gifting an expensive item of national infrastructure to private business and watching it decay while they reap in the profits, blame the consumer for their own shortcomings, and court government handouts to fund the meagre level of investment they do make.

You can't say that here! You'll betray yourself as a Guardian watching, BBC reading, lentil wearing, sandal eating leftie. That what you say is both true and a national disgrace won't help your fate.

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2018, 12:43:21 »

And, IIRC from my conversation with my old neighbour - a plumber - there are quite strict rules on just how large a tank you are allowed and how much rain water you are allowed to 'steal' from the water companies..

..although that's better than the US, where it is actually illegal to collect rain water in some states (it is considered theft)..
And yet...Yorkshire water charge me for the drainage of my surface water. So...I can't keep it and I have to pay to have it taken away. Sore arse, anyone?  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2018, 13:08:21 »

And yet...Yorkshire water charge me for the drainage of my surface water. So...I can't keep it and I have to pay to have it taken away. Sore arse, anyone?  ;D

Worse than that - they are charging you to take it away so that they can charge you again to have it back! ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2018, 15:24:48 »

For those sad enough (like me) to be interested - a bit more on the regs for harvesting rainwater:
http://rainharvesting.co.uk/collecting-rainwater-illegal-uk-everything-need-know/  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 May 2018, 18:38:17 »

My thought was 2-3 IBC tanks (food grade) in the garage (if double or outside if not) kept in the dark and insulated with celotex. This should keep the water at circa 10-12 degrees to avoid legionella. install a ballcock low down to topup in case of low rainfall (chance would be a fine thing!!). Pump to a header tank to run the toilets in the house, outside taps, washing machine etc. Basically any non-potable water.

Filter via several mesh grids and settlement, then add a UV purifier if we wanted to cover potable water. As I say, I think payback would be around 3yrs, but as we haven't been on a water meter for about 5yrs this is based on "typical usage" for 2 people. Once we move and are back on a water meter, I'll make a more informed decision.

You would need an air break between the supply and harvested water so I don't think the ballcock down low would be a good idea. Otherwise, should work. :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 May 2018, 22:03:11 »

Interesting, what makes you say that about the air gap? I’m not saying you’re wrong, just not sure on why it’s needed.  :-\

To be fair, a header tank (positioned 1/3 of the way up the main tank or thereabouts) plus a one-way valve is all that’s needed, so no biggy.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 May 2018, 22:04:14 »

I pay one lot of water rates to Anglian water[for the stuff I use]and then another lot to Severn Trent for the run off and such like from when it rains.AW know how much I use as I've got a water meter.But how does ST know how much rain has fallen on the property and run off again?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.