Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brexit.  (Read 6691 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit.
« Reply #15 on: 08 June 2018, 17:35:06 »

Yup, you can count me in that number.

Used to live in a little town called Ellesmere in Shropshire, which had a "thriving" local high street. Ie it had fairly low quality shops with surly staff, short (often irregular) opening hours and a poor selection of goods. The best thing that happened to that place was when Tesco moved in.

Shops either upped their game or died on their collective ar$e and good riddance to them.  ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 June 2018, 17:38:38 »

:( Everything is just a shambles , Brexit, the railways , the roads , the police , the NHS , the retail sector is collapsing by the day , we're turning into a third world country and our snowflake politicians don't know where to turn  >:(

...........and the common denominator in all that is.............the general public who have only wanted to spend as little as they can over the last couple of decades at least instead of supporting what is really required for quality and survival.

Speaking about retail I can say I have watched how Joe Public has flocked away from the high street to the out of town centres, then recently to the likes of Lidl and Aldi, then complained how their high street is dying, with the question "why?". Oh dear, oh dear, what a country we have become!! ::) ::) ::)

Hmm.....you could well be correct, Lizzie.

I may have to take the reins from Theresa and 'make Britain great again' all by myself :) :)

She is no doubt doing her best but the responsibility of being PM is simply too much for a mere girlie. :) :-* :-* :-*

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 June 2018, 18:02:09 »

Perhaps we should just 'get the f*uck out of there' as arch brexiteer Peter Bone suggests. WTO rules and all that.
Absokinglutely :y

When I voted leave the first time, I meant out out rather than stick a pinky out with a plaster on it ;)

Yes.....I would rather we left with a bang as opposed to a whimper. But this is our own fault for trying to cling on to the EU for the 'good bits'
We aren't, but the ttwwatts in charge are. Therein lies the issue... It's our fault for electing them :'(

Question to self... What would happen if no one voted at the next election?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 June 2018, 18:04:08 »

That is a racing cert unless the other option occurs. May (despite her magnificent effort with the heathrow poison chalice) falls and the Conservatives disintegrate over any one of a number of things. Corbyn gets in and Britain rejoins the EU it never left but on worse terms to become a vassal state and paying handsomely for the priviledge.  BRISERF would be my acronym.

That would be the height of irony, as May is a remainer and Corbyn a lifelong opponent of the EU and everything to do with it.
His website was full of anti EU material until just after he became leader, when it all suddenly disappeared.
And his deluded supporters think he is a man of high principle who doesn't do dirty politicking.  ::)
We have a PM who is so paralysed with  fear she is incapable of deciding between a cup of tea or coffee, and even if she wasn't she doesn't really have a majority to work with anyway.
She should at least have the bottle to withdraw the whip and expel from the party, the small band of nutjobs behind her who are defying their own constituents and fighting against the manifesto they stood for election on.
Labour is actually far more divided on the issue than the Tories are, but its less important because they aren't in power.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 June 2018, 18:06:02 »

When the dust settles on ll of this, if the Tories win a decent majority next time, the house of Lords should be toast - with any luck.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 June 2018, 18:20:27 »

Firstly, the British public aren't ready for a leader who could actually do a hard Brexit.  We would need a dictator, and have already shot all those disagreeing with the plan.

Secondly, surely when everybody voted in the referendum, the outcome of leaving was always going to be wishy-washy.  Even removing the Irish obvious stumbling block, manufacturing industry needs close European ties.

So all this has achieved is to play into the hands of wee jimmy kranky, and to abandon Northern Ireland to become part of the Irish Republic.  Oh, and screwed the economy in the process, and in many sectors, irreparably.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 June 2018, 18:25:48 »

What purpose does NI actually serve?

I will ask Samantha* when she returns from the beach... ;)

*A forthright Protestant from the Province.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 June 2018, 18:27:38 »

:( Everything is just a shambles , Brexit, the railways , the roads , the police , the NHS , the retail sector is collapsing by the day , we're turning into a third world country and our snowflake politicians don't know where to turn  >:(

Well I have just seen the light. Britain is going down the pan, leaves the EU and things get worse (before they have a chance to get better in the long term). The leader of the day petitions the Eu to join and become a net recipient of money. That is put to good use and within a few years Britain has miles of really high speed trains and track, miles of new motorways, banking comes back to Britain because of all the Eu subsidies on developments and retail recovers. More money for the police and the NHS as less needs to be spent on armed forces. Britain contributes instead a paltry sum to the EU army. 

PS as I said before- sell NI to the  Irish EU for £1.6 trillion. That would solve a lot of issues.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 June 2018, 18:38:01 »

Retailing and the NHS won't recover because they are run by clowns... I would go as far as to wager that even Waitrose won't see 2020 :-X

Actually at the rate it's going, 2019 could be a stretch :-X

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 June 2018, 18:44:52 »

What purpose does NI actually serve?

I will ask Samantha* when she returns from the beach... ;)

*A forthright Protestant from the Province.

As am I. It serves exactly the same role / purpose as the other three constituent countries of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  ;)

The border issue is the biggest red herring Ive ever seen. There is no real problem, but people who  I consider to be bordering on sicl are trying to make it an insurmountable problem.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 June 2018, 18:50:23 »

Well I have just seen the light. Britain is going down the pan, leaves the EU and things get worse (before they have a chance to get better in the long term). The leader of the day petitions the Eu to join and become a net recipient of money. That is put to good use and within a few years Britain has miles of really high speed trains and track, miles of new motorways, banking comes back to Britain because of all the Eu subsidies on developments and retail recovers. More money for the police and the NHS as less needs to be spent on armed forces. Britain contributes instead a paltry sum to the EU army. 

PS as I said before- sell NI to the  Irish EU for £1.6 trillion. That would solve a lot of issues.

Apart from the fact that one part of the UK has no right to sell, give away, or in any way decide the future of one of the others - trust me, it would create problems like you cant imagine.  ::)
The Irish border has always been as porous as a sponge. That isn't going to change. The amount of trade going across it is £3 billion p.a. which is paltry in the grand scheme of things.
Felixstowe docks has £80 billion of trade going in / out p.a. and its all done with barely a customs officer in sight.
As I said, its a huge red herring.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 June 2018, 18:55:54 »

The amount of trade going across it is £3 billion p.a. which is paltry in the grand scheme of things.
Felixstowe docks has £80 billion of trade going in / out p.a. and its all done with barely a customs officer in sight.
But it becomes an easy route to get EU goods in without paying the various import duties.  So it has to be a less pourous border, and the money and effort to make that the case has to be found.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 June 2018, 19:00:11 »

There is so much waffle, muddying of the waters etc. around this subject, but for me there is only really one important thing.
It might be best explained by what Jean Monnet (a founding father of "the project") said in 1952.
"Europes nations should be guided to become a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation".
When you look at what has happened in this country and across Europe in the last half century, and possibly much of it didn't make sense ? , if you look at it through the perspective of Monnets statement, it all makes perfect sense.
How anyone could want to join or remain a part of it is utterly beyond me.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 June 2018, 19:01:23 »

How anyone could want to join or remain a part of it is utterly beyond me.
Pragmatism.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 June 2018, 19:01:42 »

The amount of trade going across it is £3 billion p.a. which is paltry in the grand scheme of things.
But it becomes an easy route to get EU goods in without paying the various import duties.  So it has to be a less pourous border, and the money and effort to make that the case has to be found.

Wit the same type of technology used at Felixstowe (for example) large scale evasion will be avoided. Small scale evasion always has and always will occur at the border.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.