Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dear Teresa . . . An idea  (Read 1500 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Dear Teresa . . . An idea
« on: 28 June 2018, 10:05:03 »

Dear Mrs May,
Here's an idea for you. Reduce youth unemployment, cut knife crime, get ready for WWIII, and lots more . . .  ::) ;D

But it's all a bit soft, a few weeks here and there, I would hope for compulsory two years in the Foreign Legion ! Can you imagine the uproar if this was even hinted at over here ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44625625

« Last Edit: 28 June 2018, 10:14:35 by Mister Rog »
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

aaronjb

Re: Dear Teresa . . . An idea
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2018, 10:28:26 »

They'll go on strike (they always do) over this, I'm sure.

From the article:

National military service around the world
Iran has two-year mandatory service for men, though there are exceptions for only sons, doctors and fire fighters, and gay and transgender people

They seem to be missing the end off that sentence: "who are rounded up and disappeared"

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2018, 11:01:54 »

Having spent 38 years in the military - voluntarily,and loved virtually every minute- I ask a very simple question ......

Just why should the professional and highly skilled members of the Military be forced to (try and) train those who have no wish or enthusiasm, to be there ?? What sanctions can they apply to those who fail to "involve" with the training ??

I can see potential law suits, whinging, and numerous complaints from the left-wing-luvvies etc etc at the poor little street gang member who is "forced" to have a hair cut, say that disgusting word "Sir", and might actually have to get up before 8:00am and make his own bed.

I was an instructor for many years, and the main reason I didn't go into education on leaving was quite simple ... I was used to teaching people who WANTED to be there, and who WANTED to pass the course, as that was the way to higher pay and promotion. It was, strongly, pointed out to me that I "might" have a short fuse when dealing with spotty youths who did not actually wish to be in the lessons I was giving...... that might lead to some "difficulties" .... :)

National service "sounds" simple, but given todays "risk-averse" and "human rights" culture, is fraught with problems, and I ask, again, just why should the professional SNCO's of the modern military have to try and solve societies problems ???   :-\ :-\

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2018, 11:10:50 »

Our professional volunteer armed are already overstretched without having instructors tied up teaching large numbers of our population that don't want to be there, don't want to learn and can't wait to leave as they count down the days until it ends. :(

It will also have a large impact on our economic output where they are forced from productive jobs to an unproductive largely waste of time. It is fine in many mainland EU countries where the Euro has given them a 30-60% youth unemployment rate but it is only 11.9% here and falling. :y

Like compulsory archery on a Sunday after church, Navy press gangs and stream trains, they had there time, place and use in history but the world has moved on and most of the world's best armed forces are now based on all volunteers. :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2018, 11:11:16 »

Cant see it happening. A young Frenchman will go to the ECHR and have it outlawed before it gets off the ground.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2018, 12:41:23 »

The German system seems to work adequately  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2018, 12:58:16 »

National Service works pretty well in Israel, too. Although a much smaller standing Army, I believe, so perhaps that's why the issues highlighted here aren't a problem.

What sanctions can they apply to those who fail to "involve" with the training ??

Presumably the same ones you'd levy against someone who voluntarily signed up and fails to perform? Swift beatings?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2018, 13:33:50 »

National Service works pretty well in Israel, too. Although a much smaller standing Army, I believe, so perhaps that's why the issues highlighted here aren't a problem.

What sanctions can they apply to those who fail to "involve" with the training ??

Presumably the same ones you'd levy against someone who voluntarily signed up and fails to perform? Swift beatings?

No longer allowed I'm afraid .. although not unknown for someone to "trip" behind the Gym .... :)  the "legal" method is to start an Admin Discharge .. the threat of being kicked out is often sufficient stimulus ...  :)

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2018, 13:50:05 »

No longer allowed I'm afraid .. although not unknown for someone to "trip" behind the Gym .... :)  the "legal" method is to start an Admin Discharge .. the threat of being kicked out is often sufficient stimulus ...  :)

Ah, yes, I can see why that wouldn't work if they didn't want to be there in the first place!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2018, 14:10:34 »

Every hour on the naughty step gets you an extra week/month/year...  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2018, 20:36:36 »

Didn't Sweden reintroduce conscription recently?  :-\

The yoof of Europe are being softened up for conscription for the EU military, as the Eurocrats fancy the ability to project hard power in the name of the EU.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.