Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pikeys  (Read 5774 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Pikeys
« Reply #30 on: 16 October 2018, 20:36:41 »

Take his license away.
Then shoot him.
Then shoot his family.

Looks like a Hyundai .. Terracan maybe? Jimmy....

The same(ish) stretch was at a standstill this morning (northbound, I was going southbound) after another big shunt. Won't be long until it's made "Smart" to stop these kinds of incidents*

*that's sarcasm, btw.

That's all standard motorway, none of the M40 is going smart. M4 is....

Which I'm pretty sure is why it's quicker for me to detour 20 miles across Silverstone and come down the M40 (unsmart) than it is to drive down the M1 (smart)..

:'( :'( :'(   Not the most sensible of posts IMHO, with 3 people dead.

I doubt there was the intention to kill, or die, in the minds of the folks in the vehicles, who will have all had families and friends now suffering great loss.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16 October 2018, 21:41:56 »

At the time of posting there was no mention of fatalities.

Hindsight and all that...
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #32 on: 17 October 2018, 08:55:20 »

At the time of posting there was no mention of fatalities.

Hindsight and all that...

Indeed, at the time I posted, nobody knew what had happened. We'll all be old one day (some of us already are), so I take back the shooting.

You jest, but the stupid handheld ones can easily get the wrong direction after stopping for any reason, eg traffic, and won't correct until its convinced of direction of movement.  During this time, it can give duff instructions.  They should be banned.

Sat nav did try to have me go the wrong way down what I suspect might have been a one way street, yesterday, detouring through St Albans to avoid carnage on the M1. But, not being a blithering idiot, I ignored it and took notice of the road markings, instead.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 October 2018, 09:40:30 »

I took the ROSPA advanced driving test a few years ago to make sure I was still up to scratch (and passed).

Taken a couple of refreshers since then as well.

I think I will know when I'm too old to drive (hopefully).

Reaction times are obviously not as good as when I was in my 20's, but I drive accordingly.

So, if I'm not breaking the speed limit on an empty road, and you come up behind me - then up yours :D
« Last Edit: 17 October 2018, 09:44:29 by Auto Addict »
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 October 2018, 19:50:45 »

Sat nav error, can't trust them.😂
You jest, but the stupid handheld ones can easily get the wrong direction after stopping for any reason, eg traffic, and won't correct until its convinced of direction of movement.  During this time, it can give duff instructions.  They should be banned.
Because we all know just how good built in ones are ;D
Yes, excellent :).  Can't wait to get the Jag one fixed, because the gayPhone won't survive much longer...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 October 2018, 19:52:22 »

So, if I'm not breaking the speed limit on an empty road, and you come up behind me - then up yours :D
Not much chance of that, Silver Pikey, as we know the truth or your, errrr, "45mph" :P
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 October 2018, 11:29:12 »

.... all the exit junctions (which would have become an "entry") are deliberately designed to make it extremely difficult to turn on "incorrectly". ... tight turns, angled roads, high kerbs, etc etc

I believe the concept is called "passive design" and is a major part of all road planning, and has been for many years. IIRC

I agree Nige but, strangely in this case, if you are on the flyover on Ibstone Road near Stokenchurch, you can turn down the M40 exit quite easily from either direction. Against two massive No Entry signs i grant you. Very sad outcome all the same.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 October 2018, 13:17:46 »

.... all the exit junctions (which would have become an "entry") are deliberately designed to make it extremely difficult to turn on "incorrectly". ... tight turns, angled roads, high kerbs, etc etc

I believe the concept is called "passive design" and is a major part of all road planning, and has been for many years. IIRC

I agree Nige but, strangely in this case, if you are on the flyover on Ibstone Road near Stokenchurch, you can turn down the M40 exit quite easily from either direction. Against two massive No Entry signs i grant you. Very sad outcome all the same.

Thanks for that... as I don't frequent or know the area it might explain things ... wonder why that particular junction remains "unmodified" ....  a point for the coroner to raise if that is a part of the reason behind this unfortunate sequence of events ??  ...  :(

EDIT:

Just google earthed that junction and I see what you mean !! Not a roundabout to be seen just simple junctions...  ... not good passive design at all...

you can almost imagine the "turn right (or left) in 200 yards" and the right (or left) turn arrows on the screen command being misinterpreted  and the early turn happening .....

:(
« Last Edit: 18 October 2018, 13:24:59 by Entwood »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 October 2018, 13:34:54 »

Junction 20B A12 southbound is another one which is easy to get onto in the wrong direction if you don't know it. A woman and her children were killed doing this several years ago. Although the signage is better now than it was then.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 18 October 2018, 15:47:28 »

And it continues.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-45901084 it appears the couple in the Forrester had had an accident 5 days prior.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

aaronjb

« Reply #40 on: 18 October 2018, 17:08:32 »

"Mr Richards [Mondeo driving victim] was in the Army for nine years, serving as an engineer and safety officer in Iraq, Afghanistan and Jordan."

Poor bugger survived tours out there only to get mown down on the M40  :(

STEMO

« Reply #41 on: 18 October 2018, 17:10:40 »

"Mr Richards [Mondeo driving victim] was in the Army for nine years, serving as an engineer and safety officer in Iraq, Afghanistan and Jordan."

Poor bugger survived tours out there only to get mown down on the M40  :(
Have you clocked off?  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #42 on: 18 October 2018, 17:23:41 »

Yep, officially. And walked the dog. And now I'm on a conference call.. so no.  :P

STEMO

« Reply #43 on: 18 October 2018, 17:24:44 »

Yep, officially. And walked the dog. And now I'm on a conference call.. so no.  :P
Only joking, don't get all defensive on me  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #44 on: 18 October 2018, 17:26:17 »

Only joking, don't get all defensive on me  ;D

I'm not defen.. wait, that's being defensive. ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.