Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rolla Garage Door  (Read 5461 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Rolla Garage Door
« on: 25 October 2018, 22:47:59 »

As part of our house extension plans, I want to replace the traditional garage door with a roll up type. So that I can maximise storage in the much smaller space I’ll have, as I could have high units right behind the door. 

Anyone had one fitted recently? What did it cost?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
Re: Rolla Garage Door
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2018, 22:50:55 »

Seen some for about ~£400, but not sure how much fitted cost would be.   :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2018, 00:35:36 »

I think you get what you pay for. Then again, if it's only a storage space rather than vehicle access you might decide you don't need the best, and don't need wireless control systems and the safety sensors and stuff they require to be compliant.

I have a Securoglide, which are reckoned to be among the best. Was just north of £1k fitted IIRC.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2018, 08:56:08 »

I had one from Rollerdor; 2.9m wide, 2.2m tall, £845 supply only. Fitted it ourselves in half a day, though if doing another one I'd get more than one additional person to help as the curtain is bloody heavy when it's that wide!

However, be aware that you then have a roughly 12" by 12" box sticking out from the wall that extends above the opening, the complete width of the door, so your high cabinets will need to be above that..

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2018, 09:21:33 »

Thanks both, ~£1k for a top rate one was about what I was budgeting.

It is just for storage access essentially, along with loft access for the garage. So don't need one to be electric, manual one would be fine.

aaronjb

« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2018, 09:37:56 »

So don't need one to be electric, manual one would be fine.

I don't think you get manual garage roller doors - unless you bought a shop window shutter and adapted it.. and you don't want to manually operate mine, it would take you all week to get the door up; they are geared very low.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2018, 11:56:59 »

Not sure how you'd secure a manual one either.

But.. if you don't need all the radio control gubbins and are happy with a switch in the house / garage to operate it, you then don't need the remote control and obstruction detection malarkey which would make it a bit cheaper.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2018, 12:03:03 »

Yeah - I saved the grand total of ~£100 or so by not having the obstruction detection; I do have a remote, but it is "Hold to run" rather than a one-button press, so it's on me to make sure I don't squish the cat..

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2018, 12:25:46 »

Would a pair of side hinged softwood doors (properly painted/treated obviously) not be a cheaper option, and even less intrusion into the garage space? Means you have to clear 3ft or so in front of the garage to open the doors though - depends if you have driveway space.  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2018, 13:07:43 »

Would a pair of side hinged softwood doors (properly painted/treated obviously) not be a cheaper option, and even less intrusion into the garage space? Means you have to clear 3ft or so in front of the garage to open the doors though - depends if you have driveway space.  :-\

Driveway is not long enough to support that, it's tight as it is, so would need vertical opening.

Yeah - I saved the grand total of ~£100 or so by not having the obstruction detection; I do have a remote, but it is "Hold to run" rather than a one-button press, so it's on me to make sure I don't squish the cat..

It is just for storage access essentially, along with loft access for the garage. So don't need one to be electric, manual one would be fine.

Good to know thanks  :y

One question, did they take old door away, is it worth anything scrap? It's quite a new door only few years old

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 October 2018, 13:21:56 »

Ebay or :y gumtree.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 26 October 2018, 13:37:07 »

I moved the old door to the other garage..  :D Partly because I was too tight to pay for a 4+m wide rollerdor for that one, too.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 October 2018, 13:53:48 »

I moved the old door to the other garage..  :D Partly because I was too tight to pay for a 4+m wide rollerdor for that one, too.

;D ;D

Ebay or :y gumtree.

:y :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 October 2018, 15:48:14 »

So don't need one to be electric, manual one would be fine.

I don't think you get manual garage roller doors - unless you bought a shop window shutter and adapted it.. and you don't want to manually operate mine, it would take you all week to get the door up; they are geared very low.
Ahem...

Should have a manual override as a matter of course... Usually a chain and lock pin. But yes, takes an eon to open/close, especially with 25' ceilings  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2018, 16:48:46 »

Ahem...

Should have a manual override as a matter of course... Usually a chain and lock pin. But yes, takes an eon to open/close, especially with 25' ceilings  ;D

It's even worse when you've bent the bottom of the door with the rack on the side of the Transit ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.