Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simon Reeve travel Mediteranean  (Read 791 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Simon Reeve travel Mediteranean
« on: 29 October 2018, 20:30:05 »

I have always liked his programmes and his presentation style.

Anyone see the latest episode of the Mediteranean ? Several things of interest.

Cueta enclave of Spain in North Africa. The misery of thousands trying to make it to Europe. Why isnt big business building factories or businesses in Africa rather than the Far East?

The plasticulture of Almeria where most of the salad stuff eaten , especially out of season, in Northern Europe is produced. We went on foot and had a nosy around some years ago. Dreadful working  and living conditions for an EU country. The misery for those that made it. I remember reading a Chris Stewart book like driving over lemons. He had some Africans turn up one day hungry. They had walked from Gib area on their way to Almeria for work. He said just a minute and went in to get food and drink and when he came out they had vanished thinking he had rung the police. No one rocks the boat . It is big business. Bit like fruit picking in the uk.

Lack of fish generally. Why dont the countries seed the Med with baby fish and crustaceans etc like other countries do with their seas. I know it would cost money but long term it would provide employment and living.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Simon Reeve travel Mediteranean
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2018, 09:24:20 »

I have always liked his programmes and his presentation style.

Anyone see the latest episode of the Mediteranean ? Several things of interest.

Cueta enclave of Spain in North Africa. The misery of thousands trying to make it to Europe. Why isnt big business building factories or businesses in Africa rather than the Far East?

The plasticulture of Almeria where most of the salad stuff eaten , especially out of season, in Northern Europe is produced. We went on foot and had a nosy around some years ago. Dreadful working  and living conditions for an EU country. The misery for those that made it. I remember reading a Chris Stewart book like driving over lemons. He had some Africans turn up one day hungry. They had walked from Gib area on their way to Almeria for work. He said just a minute and went in to get food and drink and when he came out they had vanished thinking he had rung the police. No one rocks the boat . It is big business. Bit like fruit picking in the uk.

Lack of fish generally. Why dont the countries seed the Med with baby fish and crustaceans etc like other countries do with their seas. I know it would cost money but long term it would provide employment and living.

Yes, a very interesting and eye opening series, especially on the subject of the 'troubled' areas of the Med.  A lovely area to live in, but man's greed and stupidity is spoiling so much.

The lack of fish subject also really concerned me, but is really no surprise.  The Maltese fishing industry was suffering in the early 1960's, although I managed, somehow, to catch a flying fish whilst out with my boy friends line sitting on the steps of Customs House in the Grand Harbour.  Happy days, but even then there seemed to be a lack of fish in the sea around Malta (even when I went snorkeling), although the Valletta Fish Market always had loads of interesting examples on offer! ;)

Yes, like so many of our oceans mankind must come up with a solution to resolve the issue of over fishing, and too much plastic which will also have a long term effect! :(

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Simon Reeve travel Mediteranean
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2018, 10:21:19 »

I also like Simon Reeves travel programmes.  :y

Unlike a lot of travel shows he dosn't 'sugar coat', but presents the country or region warts and all!  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 17 queries.