Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do at work today?  (Read 6420 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do at work today?
« Reply #30 on: 12 December 2018, 12:01:16 »

Indeed, it's as much about being the right employer for the prospective employee as it is the other way around... Even more important for first employee because you're looking for a right hand to help grow your business.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #31 on: 12 December 2018, 12:09:13 »

"This time next year, Rodney..."  :P

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 December 2018, 12:25:03 »

"This time next year, Rodney..."  :P

I have this old watch......  a squirt of WD 40 will soon have it going again. :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 December 2018, 14:20:42 »

I still have my original copy of 'Serve to Lead' from Sandhurst, and I lean on my training and experience from there.  Plus this employee is ex Army so I fear we will get on fine.  I'll give it a read but if it is like any of the others I have read there is little on actual leadership but rather more on look at how good I am for taking this risk and having it pay off for me.

I do however lack the commercial experience I need going forward but I will be getting a business/commercial manager as soon as I can afford it as history showed from the French side that this resulted in the average 30-40% annual growth we have today in Frogland.

The first employee is significant because it gives me the momentum to get things going.  It hasn't been easy to find the right person.

My old company's directors, senior, middle, and junior management was entirely ex-military and the organisation was run on those grounds.  It was extremely well disciplined and aimed usually to recruit from the military, with a great deal of success.  I coming from a military family fitted right in, and throughout my career I highly valued ex-military personnel when I could recruit them to my team.  Through that I found success and I know if I was recruiting now I would still go down that road. They make the best members of any team, as my ex-Royal Marine son is now also proving in civvie street.

The one problem is Gaffer there are not enough ex-service personnel around now. The one key thing is that you have the disciplines to take your career forward in the commercial world and you will learn quickly the rules of that game.  It is fairly easy to do that, but the other way round it is not; as you know discipline is a set of skills you do not learn overnight! ;)
« Last Edit: 12 December 2018, 14:25:37 by Lizzie Zoom »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12 December 2018, 14:34:41 »

The one problem is Gaffer  .....

agreed .....  ::) ::) ::) ;)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12 December 2018, 15:09:22 »

The one problem is Gaffer  .....

agreed .....  ::) ::) ::) ;)

Haven't you got some cars to turn in to tins of baked beans?

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12 December 2018, 15:15:20 »

I still have my original copy of 'Serve to Lead' from Sandhurst, and I lean on my training and experience from there.  Plus this employee is ex Army so I fear we will get on fine.  I'll give it a read but if it is like any of the others I have read there is little on actual leadership but rather more on look at how good I am for taking this risk and having it pay off for me.

I do however lack the commercial experience I need going forward but I will be getting a business/commercial manager as soon as I can afford it as history showed from the French side that this resulted in the average 30-40% annual growth we have today in Frogland.

The first employee is significant because it gives me the momentum to get things going.  It hasn't been easy to find the right person.

My old company's directors, senior, middle, and junior management was entirely ex-military and the organisation was run on those grounds.  It was extremely well disciplined and aimed usually to recruit from the military, with a great deal of success.  I coming from a military family fitted right in, and throughout my career I highly valued ex-military personnel when I could recruit them to my team.  Through that I found success and I know if I was recruiting now I would still go down that road. They make the best members of any team, as my ex-Royal Marine son is now also proving in civvie street.

The one problem is Gaffer there are not enough ex-service personnel around now. The one key thing is that you have the disciplines to take your career forward in the commercial world and you will learn quickly the rules of that game.  It is fairly easy to do that, but the other way round it is not; as you know discipline is a set of skills you do not learn overnight! ;)

Military types are very well suited to Cyber security, something about the mindset.  A lot of my peers are training up and getting out to greener pastures, so no disparity of ex-mil types in this field as such.  One of my mates is getting out in 10 months and he may even try for a position with me, we'll see.  He and I have many nights of heavy drinking and nearly getting arrested in several different countries yet it is unclear who is the bad influence on whom.

The biggest problem is not finding business but finding suitably qualified and experienced people.  In france the average growth rate would be at least 10 points higher if we could find more suitable employees to join the team, ex-mil or not.

aaronjb

« Reply #37 on: 12 December 2018, 15:17:41 »

Yup, lots of ex military in security - our ex CISO, now Twitter CISO is ex US Army, IIRC; my SANS GCIH instructor is ex RAF (https://uk.sans.org/instructors/steve-armstrong)

I think being ex military helps in Incident Response roles, too, because your significant other is already used to you grabbing a bag and poking off for a couple of weeks at a moments notice ;) ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12 December 2018, 15:19:31 »

Yup, lots of ex military in security - our ex CISO, now Twitter CISO is ex US Army, IIRC; my SANS GCIH instructor is ex RAF (https://uk.sans.org/instructors/steve-armstrong)

I think being ex military helps in Incident Response roles, too, because your significant other is already used to you grabbing a bag and poking off for a couple of weeks at a moments notice ;) ;D

Yeah like when I was on 24 hours notice to ship out to Lebanon back in 2006?  3 days before the UK side of my wedding......

That went down well. :-X

aaronjb

« Reply #39 on: 12 December 2018, 15:28:41 »

Yeah, see, so she's already used to it  :y ;)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #40 on: 12 December 2018, 20:21:53 »

Lots of ex military in my job (HMPS) and it's great you know your back is covered when it goes tits up , which it does on a regular basis , only problem now is with the new staff that are being recruited the majority have nil life skills or experience  because standards have been lowered on the government's recruitment drive. It will go badly wrong very soon in a lot of establishments, it's a time bomb just waiting to go. Got three nights from Friday then off till Boxing Day.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2018, 20:23:27 by Tilbo »

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 13 December 2018, 18:43:37 »

It was our Xmas meal today, as we left the office my ex assistant decided to get changed,
in the middle of the office,
top off dress on, jeans removed,
apart from the tits barely contained in the bra so far so good,
then asks me if bare legs or tights pulling her dress up to her waist,
I suggested stockings but none to be had.

she made a happy man feel very old today, I`m almost 3 times her age.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 13 December 2018, 19:36:18 »

It was our Xmas meal today, as we left the office my ex assistant decided to get changed,

;D ;D lol!  She is after something and it's not your body! ::) ::) :D ;)

You will learn what after Christmas ;)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13 December 2018, 20:54:00 »

Maybe not Lizzie. :-\

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13 December 2018, 22:16:01 »

ex as in I trained her a couple of years ago, I have had 2 more since,

I seem to end up looking after all the young staff at work, they like my laid back attitude.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.