Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: anybody remembers  (Read 2651 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: anybody remembers
« Reply #15 on: 29 December 2018, 11:48:35 »

Even then, I can do the plugs, oil/filters and tappet adjustments on a OHV V6 in about the same time as the plugs, oil and filters on an Omega V6 simply because they're more maintenance friendly.
The only annoyance with the Omega is having to properly jack the think up to do the oil filter, otherwise its all quick and straightforward to do oil, air filter, pollen filter, fuel filter (another jack up), plugs and so on.  Even if some idiot has put a load of LPG gubbins in the way :D. Old skool mechanics seem to struggle with it for some reason.

Non standard service tasks on it can be a pain, though.  Alternators, starters etc are a bloody faff IMHO.

As to "servicing" a car with full engine management, part of that is looking at live data to check the system is healthy, and not having to compensate for wearing/failing items.  But nobody does. Again, because garages/dealers are mostly incompetent and don't understand the systems used.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 December 2018, 11:51:30 »

Oh, the other annoyance with the earlier V6's, fortunately resolved halfway through the MFL era, is the bloody spin on oil filter that creates mess and takes a lot of cleaning up.

I'd forgotten about that, as I've not had to do one for a couple of years, as TBE obviously has the later cartridge type oil filter.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 December 2018, 12:00:09 »

The only annoyance with the Omega is having to properly jack the think up to do the oil filter, otherwise its all quick and straightforward to do oil, air filter, pollen filter, fuel filter (another jack up), plugs and so on.  Even if some idiot has put a load of LPG gubbins in the way :D . Old skool mechanics seem to struggle with it for some reason.

Non standard service tasks on it can be a pain, though.  Alternators, starters etc are a bloody faff IMHO.

My gripe, as you well know, is with the oppswit who ran the engine wiring above the passenger side plugs. Moving and refitting that is what takes the time. Changing the rear plug for the first time is a worry too.
A spin on oil filter is replaceable without jacking the car..... Just, admittedly ;D  Although an old school mechanic will be jacking the car to visually inspect the suspension, wiring, plumbing, brakes etc for wear, leaks damage etc so the point is moot

I agree with you on the data, and do just that.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 December 2018, 12:32:25 »

My gripe, as you well know, is with the oppswit who ran the engine wiring above the passenger side plugs. Moving and refitting that is what takes the time. Changing the rear plug for the first time is a worry too.
The first time I did it, it took me time, as I was looking for a way to get it out of the way.  Once I was told to remove the wiring from the tray to do it, its a breeze, adds about a minute to the job...   ...although TBE doesn't have one currently - it was left off whilst diagnosing a HT/LPG issues when the garage went, and it was never found.  So now its even easier ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.