Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Road traffic, OAPs?  (Read 5361 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Road traffic, OAPs?
« on: 05 February 2019, 12:04:02 »

Chatting with some friends about the levels of traffic on the roads in the UK.

One said, it is hopeless going anywhere after 2 p.m. the roads are busy with OAPs out for a drive.

I think he has a point. They have disposable income and a car. Bargain Hunt has finished and several hours to kill before Pointless comes on.

Yesterday we hadnt eaten and thought we would drop into Palmers garden centre near Fosse Park. It was gone 2p.m. And the car park was about 80% full. A lot of people having coffee/ cake or a meal or a browse in the shop. Last time I saw a garden centre car park that full was at a sunny Easter 20 years ago! Sign of the times I guess.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

Re: Road traffic, OAPs?
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2019, 12:39:44 »

I moan a lot about OAP's clogging up the roads in the afternoon. Then I realise...I am one of them.  :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2019, 13:05:46 »

I moan a lot about OAP's clogging up the roads in the afternoon. Then I realise...I am one of them.  :)

Yes, and me! ;D ;D :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2019, 13:08:42 »

Do you reckon it is true then?

Get up , read papers, then go out in the afternoon for a little drive?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2019, 13:44:21 »

Biggest problem comes this time of year when the said OAP,s stay out to long and have to try and drive home in the dark
I live in rural Essex and have been stuck in a que of over 20 cars travelling at between 10mph and 20mph at best as the OAP cant see in the dark

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2019, 13:54:32 »

One said, it is hopeless going anywhere after 2 p.m. the roads are busy with OAPs out for a drive.

I think he has a point. They have disposable income and a car. Bargain Hunt has finished and several hours to kill before Pointless comes on.

Yesterday we hadnt eaten and thought we would drop into Palmers garden centre near Fosse Park. It was gone 2p.m. And the car park was about 80% full. A lot of people having coffee/ cake or a meal or a browse in the shop. Last time I saw a garden centre car park that full was at a sunny Easter 20 years ago! Sign of the times I guess.

This is where TB's cull should be applied. :)

Today, old people generally live to a point long after 'what they have paid in' is dwarfed by what they get paid out.

They are also a big part of the problem with the overstretched NHS. The situation can only get worse as the ratio between working people and pensioners becomes closer. Eventually we will have a situation where there are not enough working people to pay for the ever increasing number of coffin dodgers.

I believe STMO is a pensioner so should do the honourable thing to help the balance of payments. :)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2019, 14:51:14 »

It is only a temp blip as the next generation is going to work longer and die earlier. They are the ones brought up on burgers and fast food and the lovely sugar loaded soft drinks.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2019, 16:01:56 »

Bloody good luck to them, got time & cash to spare enjoy it you're a long time dead, as for anyone not so lucky tough shit. By the way I become an OAP next month with plenty of disposable cash & will make the most of it , young whippersnappers always in too much of a rush in my opinion.😀😁😂
« Last Edit: 05 February 2019, 16:09:12 by Tilbo »

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 05 February 2019, 16:08:17 »

Today, old people generally live to a point long after 'what they have paid in' is dwarfed by what they get paid out.

They are also a big part of the problem with the overstretched NHS. The situation can only get worse as the ratio between working people and pensioners becomes closer. Eventually we will have a situation where there are not enough working people to pay for the ever increasing number of coffin dodgers.

I believe STMO is a pensioner so should do the honourable thing to help the balance of payments. :)
Talking of which: This morning I received a communication from the Dept for Work and Pensions informing me that, due to my hard work over the past 65 years, I am getting a rise of 2.6% in April. A bit mean, I thought, but paupers must be grateful for every penny.  :'(

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2019, 16:13:08 »

Talking of which: This morning I received a communication from the Dept for Work and Pensions informing me that, due to my hard work over the past 65 years, I am getting a rise of 2.6% in April. A bit mean, I thought, but paupers must be grateful for every penny.  :'(

You been working for 65 years........fookin ell. :D

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 05 February 2019, 16:20:49 »

You been working for 65 years........fookin ell. :D
Since the day I was born.

Any chance of a medal? Or, even better, a small financial token of your gratitude.  :-*

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2019, 16:25:06 »

You're getting 2.6%... Opps off and be grateful  ;D

That said, 2.6% of sod all is still sod all ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2019, 16:30:52 »

You're getting 2.6%... Opps off and be grateful  ;D

That said, 2.6% of sod all is still sod all ::)
I know, I need more than the paltry £670 a month they give me, just for diesel. (To get out in the afternoon when bargain hunt has finished).

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2019, 16:47:41 »

Bloody good luck to them, got time & cash to spare enjoy it you're a long time dead, as for anyone not so lucky tough shit. By the way I become an OAP next month with plenty of disposable cash & will make the most of it , young whippersnappers always in too much of a rush in my opinion.😀😁😂

Dont forget to leave thegarden centre early enough not to be travelling in the dark at a fuel saving 20 mph.  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 05 February 2019, 16:56:22 »

Dont forget to leave thegarden centre early enough not to be travelling in the dark at a fuel saving 20 mph.  ;D
You foreigners will be in deep shit if us old Brits leave without a deal. Don't be crawling back here looking for handouts. Remember, OAP's run this country. The grey vote decides who gets into power, and it was us that voted to cut you adrift.  :P

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 February 2019, 17:01:16 »

How is that working out? ;D

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 05 February 2019, 17:07:17 »

How is that working out? ;D
For me...fine.  :) All the angst that goes on at Westminster doesn't really affect the common folk.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 February 2019, 17:33:08 »

Nice to see that ageism  is alive and well on OOF. :D

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 05 February 2019, 17:56:53 »

It's just jealousy, Ronny........because we spent all the money.  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 February 2019, 18:36:01 »

;D ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 February 2019, 18:36:23 »

Even the most wealthy of pensioners get winter fuel allowance......free prescriptions.....free TV licence....free eye tests. But as STMO says the government dare not cut back because they all vote......although not during Bargain Hunt and other daytime crap. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 February 2019, 18:41:57 »

......do the coffin dodgers still get the £10 Christmas box put in place by Ted Heath?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 February 2019, 18:46:19 »

Even the most wealthy of pensioners get winter fuel allowance......free prescriptions.....free TV licence....free eye tests. But as STMO says the government dare not cut back because they all vote......although not during Bargain Hunt and other daytime crap. :)
I think that's going (so mum tells me).  Mind you, she never watches the bloody thing anyway, she says its all shite, where the celebrities are more important than the programmes.  I can't disagree.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 February 2019, 19:37:56 »

Only once you are 75+ Opti :'( :'( ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 February 2019, 19:40:44 »

Almost forty years away for me...... :-\ ::) :) :-* :-* :-*

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 February 2019, 19:42:28 »

Yeah, sure!! ::) ::);D ;D :-*

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 05 February 2019, 19:52:30 »

......do the coffin dodgers still get the £10 Christmas box put in place by Ted Heath?
Yes. £200 winter fuel allowance to keep my poor old bones warm, and £10 Christmas bonus to feed me over the holidays. Life's hard, and then you die.  :'(

STEMO

« Reply #27 on: 05 February 2019, 19:54:13 »

I think that's going (so mum tells me).  Mind you, she never watches the bloody thing anyway, she says its all shite, where the celebrities are more important than the programmes.  I can't disagree.
The BBC want it to go, so that the likes of Ginger Evans can get by on £2million a year but, so far, the government have said nowt.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 February 2019, 21:04:19 »

Yeah, sure!! ::) ::);D ;D :-*

I give you my word as a gentleman. ::) :-* :-* :-* :-*

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 February 2019, 21:17:55 »

Don't forget the free bus passes..... :y

Ron.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 05 February 2019, 23:29:56 »

Blatantly not true. No winter fuel allowance for pensioners in Spain. IDS did a study and concluded that average temperature of Spain and its overseas dependencies was higher than the average for the UK and therefore not necessary. He is welcome to come and stay at our house and chop logs, barrow them and feed the log burner during his free stay. We occasionally have snow and minus temps down to as low as minus 14c. 

You are right about Tories “ buying” the pensioners vote so , I would add, they can run the country to line the pockets of their rich mates. Labour attract votes in different ways so they can destroy the country for the benefit of everyone apparently.  Fairly grim isnt it ;D

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 07 February 2019, 11:36:04 »

Never mind pensioners and road traffic. I've just got back from ASDA and you should see some of the parking manoeuvres. I saw a Toyota Aygo and a Peugeot 107 both parked across two bays.  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 February 2019, 11:42:31 »

In fairness those are both large cars considering how tiny the parking spaces are nowadays.

Here is a question. If you go to a busy large car park and park well away from the main activity why does someone come and, despite having a great choice, park next to you? Is it some form of obsessive neatness?

STEMO

« Reply #33 on: 07 February 2019, 11:45:51 »

In fairness those are both large cars considering how tiny the parking spaces are nowadays.

Here is a question. If you go to a busy large car park and park well away from the main activity why does someone come and, despite having a great choice, park next to you? Is it some form of obsessive neatness?
Large cars? Try two of the smallest cars available  :)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 February 2019, 11:46:55 »

That bemuses me too. I choose to park well away from the herd so that women can't open their doors carelessly and cause damage, but inevitably there will be some fat-arsed cow parked adjacent to my car when I get back to it. WHY?

Ron.

aaronjb

« Reply #35 on: 07 February 2019, 12:00:36 »

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sarcasm  :P ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #36 on: 07 February 2019, 12:01:09 »

That bemuses me too. I choose to park well away from the herd so that women can't open their doors carelessly and cause damage, but inevitably there will be some fat-arsed cow parked adjacent to my car when I get back to it. WHY?

Ron.

Is it the same one every time? Maybe she likes you and is just shy...  ;) ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07 February 2019, 12:05:45 »

Ron.

Indeed. Try parking a bit further from the shop. Either:

1) She won't be @rsed to walk that far.
2) She likes you enough to stomach the walk and the exercise will eventually make her more attractive.

Win win.  ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #38 on: 07 February 2019, 12:27:20 »

You can never tell with these foreigners.  ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07 February 2019, 14:45:16 »

Ron.

Not the same one - we seem to have a supply of them. I don't usually see the face, only a large posterior mooning out of the door as she extracts her little accident from the car: although when her face is visible, she exhibits the "council-house face lift" hairstyle - hair swept right back and tied in a bun!

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07 February 2019, 15:02:21 »

Ron.

Not the same one - we seem to have a supply of them. I don't usually see the face, only a large posterior mooning out of the door as she extracts her little accident from the car: although when her face is visible, she exhibits the "council-house face lift" hairstyle - hair swept right back and tied in a bun!

Ron.

Ah, yes, the "I am a hard cow, don't mess with me I am as tough as a man" look.  Very popular down here as well Ron!

One challenged me last year, saying I was scarred of her!  I just said I wasn't, laughed in her face and she then went to try and thump a OAP traveller friend of ours, who then, with her grown up daughter watching along with a crowd landed a few punches herself!  Great stuff!!;D ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 07 February 2019, 15:06:48 by Lizzie Zoom »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07 February 2019, 15:08:49 »

Bloody hell, Lizzie - I thought it was just the Essex handbag dancers!  ::)

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07 February 2019, 15:10:12 »

Bloody hell, Lizzie - I thought it was just the Essex handbag dancers!  ::)

Ron.

Oh no Ron, they are alive and kicking down here as well! :D :D ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 07 February 2019, 15:44:22 »

Can't be the Crawley Facelift as a look...  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 07 February 2019, 23:52:00 »

You can never tell with these foreigners.  ;D

Hmm, just googled those two cars. Not very big are they against real cars. Must be the spaces are getting smaller. < sarcasm off>
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.