Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Home Gas Boilers could be Banned within 6 Years.  (Read 3335 times)

STEMO

Re: Home Gas Boilers could be Banned within 6 Years.
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2019, 22:16:03 »

The proposition is to ban gas appliances in new homes within six years, not make folk get rid of what they have. And that's just an idea from one government department. So calm down and have a long, hot bath and a nice cup of tea. From your gas boiler and hob.

I'll be surprised if we're still here in six years.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 February 2019, 23:42:45 »

They way things are going, we'll all be sitting round braziers on waste ground in a couple of years time, so meh!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 February 2019, 23:47:50 »

I’ve still got my Baxi Bermuda back boiler, it’s like keeping an expensive car, heavy on fuel but does the job. Bath after bath after bath :) needed with four kids :y
Laying a rubber road.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 February 2019, 23:56:47 »

I’ve still got my Baxi Bermuda back boiler, it’s like keeping an expensive car, heavy on fuel but does the job. Bath after bath after bath :) needed with four kids :y

I remember "helping" my Dad fit one of those when I was about 5 years old. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 February 2019, 00:03:21 »

I remember "helping" my Dad fit one of those when I was about 5 years old. ;D

Did he send you up the chimney?  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 February 2019, 00:06:18 »

They way things are going, we'll all be sitting round braziers on waste ground in a couple of years time, so meh!

the Brexiteers promised that we ** won't all starve to death in the dark.

They promised :-\

** We does of course mean we who have trust funds and our own carribean island. Where it doesn't actually get dark and picaninnies bring us fresh mango based cocktails every hour

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 February 2019, 01:07:08 »

the Brexiteers promised that we ** won't all starve to death in the dark.

WE wont starve because weve got plenty of tatties and nips, assuming the Scots will sell us some, but what they forgot to say is we'll have no Gas in the Pipelines for our Boilers after the 29th when we Bomb Out.  :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 February 2019, 11:44:36 »

The proposition is to ban gas appliances in new homes within six years, not make folk get rid of what they have. And that's just an idea from one government department. So calm down and have a long, hot bath and a nice cup of tea. From your gas boiler and hob.

I'll be surprised if we're still here in six years.

Yes Steve, that point has been made already.

The problem is that if new builds are not being fitted with gas boilers, how long will it be afterwards  that councils and housing associations will be fitting electrical alternatives as old boilers life expire due to a shortage of manufacturers producing them. This would be made worse by private households then also having no choice but to fit electric heating systems.  Yes, we MAY not be around to see that, but who is going to pay the replacement and extra running costs.  The new systems should save money, but only in NEW homes.  In old ones, with a lack of insulation (government grants are no longer available) and new design features, we know already that running 100% on electric costs a lot more than heating by gas.  Cooking by gas is also cheaper.

Like the plan to go 100% into electric, or similar, cars, the fact that the average person cannot afford the replacement costs, let alone extra running costs has not been thought out because the people in these 'committees' often (generalising I know) come from families who do not have to worry about such things and are not from social housing / low income backgrounds.

They will be the worries, real or not, of many families already struggling to heat and light their homes. ;)
« Last Edit: 22 February 2019, 11:46:49 by Lizzie Zoom »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 February 2019, 11:51:12 »

Where will the electricity come from ?  If its going to be wind or solar we will freeze to death.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 February 2019, 12:06:50 »

I can see the thinking behind it.

Gas boilers are as efficient as they will ever be, and in getting this far we have ended up with the flawed, unreliable condensing boilers of today.

You can't make further efficiency savings at such a small scale, so have to move the carbon emissions to a larger scale process such as a power station. If you then use an electric heat pump domestically you have a much lower carbon system already, even more so if we ever manage to bribe convince someone to come and build more nuclear.

None of this is an easy retro-fit, as said, so we need to start building houses that can cope with it now.

Many countries have developed district heating systems where a number of properties are heated by a more efficient CHP setup, for example. Shame we don't talk to our neighbours in this country let alone share a heating system with them!

I have been watching an office block near my workplace get converted to flats over the past year or so. They took out one big boiler, mounted 30 odd gas meter cabinets on the outside wall, then ran ugly gas piping around the outside walls to each flat individually, then loads of boiler flues appeared in the walls. madness, but the path of least resistance / cost for the developer. A CHP system and / or large heat pump would have been perfect there.

Developers will always take the cheapest route that will satisfy building regs, so the only thing that will promote change is to force their hand.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 February 2019, 19:44:23 »

Gas boilers are as efficient as they will ever be, and in getting this far we have ended up with the flawed, unreliable condensing boilers of today.

You can't make further efficiency savings at such a small scale, so have to move the carbon emissions to a larger scale process such as a power station. If you then use an electric heat pump domestically you have a much lower carbon system already, even more so if we ever manage to bribe convince someone to come and build more nuclear.

None of this is an easy retro-fit, as said, so we need to start building houses that can cope with it now.

Many countries have developed district heating systems where a number of properties are heated by a more efficient CHP setup, for example. Shame we don't talk to our neighbours in this country let alone share a heating system with them!

I have been watching an office block near my workplace get converted to flats over the past year or so. They took out one big boiler, mounted 30 odd gas meter cabinets on the outside wall, then ran ugly gas piping around the outside walls to each flat individually, then loads of boiler flues appeared in the walls. madness, but the path of least resistance / cost for the developer. A CHP system and / or large heat pump would have been perfect there.

Developers will always take the cheapest route that will satisfy building regs, so the only thing that will promote change is to force their hand.
My granddaughter lives in an old Maltings that has been converted into loads of flats and the local housing association and local council did, indeed, install a boiler house. Cheap hot water and heating all year round. Only downside is that her flat is next to the boiler house and it,s bloody hot in the summer as it wasn,t insulated well enough.

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 22 February 2019, 19:45:56 »

My granddaughter lives in an old Maltings that has been converted into loads of flats and the local housing association and local council did, indeed, install a boiler house. Cheap hot water and heating all year round. Only downside is that her flat is next to the boiler house and it,s bloody hot in the summer as it wasn,t insulated well enough.
That's all right, Ronny, the boiler should hardly be running in the summer  ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 February 2019, 20:03:18 »

Kids of today even have hot baths in the summer uncle STEMO  ::)

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 22 February 2019, 20:18:54 »

Kids of today even have hot baths in the summer uncle STEMO  ::)
That's not enough to keep a huge boiler going. Ronny's granddaughter should be grateful for all the free winter warmth, instead of bleating about being sweltering in the summer. Fickin snowflake.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.