Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: INSURANCE WRITE OFF  (Read 3373 times)

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
INSURANCE WRITE OFF
« on: 24 February 2019, 08:57:28 »

Great chaps those insurance companies, well a couple of weeks agos whilst at the lights outside of asda old kent road, asda delivery driver decided to reverse into me, slightly creasing my front bumper and damaging the paintwork, despite the van having reversing sensors and me beeping my horn, I couldn't reverse back as there was a car behind me, was not happy reported to insurance and they advised that even the other sides insurers, would view as a write off, cost of repairs £400, I have not since been in contact with the insurers, so my car is really valued if I am lucky about £99, despite having to declare all the extras on the car irmscher, bodykit, suspension etc.. As a write off when not even my fault, very pissed off, would be lucky to get anything back and even if I took the car back, then I would have to re-mot the car. My insurance will be up soonish so there will be an argument when they are charging me over £500 a year, good old LV!!!! 

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: INSURANCE WRITE OFF
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2019, 09:04:33 »

My policy explicitly states that the declared mods are not covered, so like you, I pay more for less (although TBE is only around £200 to insure here)

I think as you're non fault, you can insist they repair it (as it won't be anything but Cat D).
Grumpy old man

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2019, 09:26:01 »

Your argument with the other side is, before your driver reversed into me, this car was perfect, I want it returned to such condition,  I seem to remember a case similar, due to the wording of the policy,

We shall return vechile to pre-accident condition... Or something similar.
Hoof'land storeman.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2019, 09:43:57 »

Isn't Lizzie good at getting the insurance companies to pay out for full repairs? Speak to her.....

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2019, 10:11:30 »

Isn't Lizzie good at getting the insurance companies to pay out for full repairs? Speak to her.....

Ron.
This^^^^^^^

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2019, 10:18:09 »

So.....it's got a petrol leak, is about to fall foul of ULEZ and is a write off. Anything else?  ;D

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2019, 10:35:39 »

So.....it's got a petrol leak, is about to fall foul of ULEZ and is a write off. Anything else?  ;D

Yeah it runs really well, when you put your feet through the footwell !!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2019, 10:49:46 »

I seem to recall, after the brakes were fixed, it was rather quick on a runway...   ...a match for a 3l auto :y.

Obviously, it would never been as fast as Imber's 2.6 auto. Clearly :D
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2019, 10:52:47 »

I seem to recall, after the brakes were fixed, it was rather quick on a runway...   ...a match for a 3l auto :y.

Obviously, it would never been as fast as Imber's 2.6 auto. Clearly :D
Ahh.....the Porsche beater  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2019, 13:05:55 »

Ron.

Well, yes, I do have a good record with this type of claim :D :D

I do not know the details of Mike's Omega, but whatever it is you tell your insurance company that if they are tempted to "write it off", you want them to find an exact replacement with similar mileage, same spec, same condition, which was mint, before the accident. That will put the liability on them to sort this claim out in your favour (what insurance company are you with?)  As it was not your fault, and apparently will only cost £400 to repair, you will accept the third party paying you the value you have placed on your car, plus costs and compensation, then you will arrange for a body shop (that you know will do a good job at the price quoted) to carryout the work, supplying them with the replacement parts if required. Yes, the insurance company may / will class your car as a D write off, but once repaired they will continue with the current insurance cover.  You will NOT require a new MOT, unless of course that is due.

This is all I have experienced, with two Omega so called "write offs", with me coming away with what I wanted, not to suit the insurance company (most recently I have found Ageas to be most helpful when achieving my aims, even when I was at fault).  Having a 'rare' car like an Omega, especially a late, mint, low mileage, 3.2 only assisted with my claim as it gave me a strange advantage.

I hope Mike you get what YOU want, but sorry for your bad luck.  Make sure the sods pay for it and you come away with the upper hand :y :y

PS. My insurance premium I have negotiated DOWN since my accident from the £680 they wanted to charge to £340 with the same insurance company, and that is when it was "my fault". ;)
« Last Edit: 24 February 2019, 13:12:49 by Lizzie Zoom »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 February 2019, 13:36:45 »

All good information , very helpful Lizzie  :y
I did a little internet reading about insurance and apparently ,even with protected no claims, and a no fault claim , the insurance company consider that you are "more of a risk " (even though it was not your fault) because you live or drive in areas where you may have another accident . and increase your premium  :(
you should consider seeking payment for un-insured losses to take this into account  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 February 2019, 14:14:31 »

Why should anyone get a premium reduction following a fault claim as a result of careless driving?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2019, 14:31:31 »

Why should anyone get a premium reduction following a fault claim as a result of careless driving?

Trust you to be negative and cynical!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Careless driving eh. So you saw the accident and can make that judgement?

Anyway, whatever.  After one million miles of driving and no previous "my fault" accidents, with tens of thousands of premiums paid, I think I can be excused one very low speed shunt.  Then if the insurance company want my business and are prepared to lower my premium to get that, why not?:D ;)
« Last Edit: 24 February 2019, 14:33:09 by Lizzie Zoom »

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 February 2019, 15:42:00 »

The insurance company will use the motor trade guides to place a value Cap, Glass's and Parkers as per the Financial Ombudsman Guidelines. Every body in the insurance industry uses the guides as they all jump to the FOS tune. Cat D no longer exits and hasn't for some time. C & D now changed to S (structural) and N (non structural). If yours is only bumper and wing it will be an "N". Your insurer (or the other party insurer) is under no obligation to repair your car if it is beyond economical repair so you wont get far with that one.  You do have some options, either deal directly with the TP insurer and push for cash in lue of repairs (be realistic with amount) or proceed down total loss route and push for more money and buy car back. If going down total loss the justify value with condition and examples and ask to see guide values. Both insurers will be able to provide these and should do if requested. You are looking at "transacted value" then go from there.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2019, 15:53:15 by Magwheels »

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2019, 15:42:10 »

Ron.

Well, yes, I do have a good record with this type of claim :D :D

I do not know the details of Mike's Omega, but whatever it is you tell your insurance company that if they are tempted to "write it off", you want them to find an exact replacement with similar mileage, same spec, same condition, which was mint, before the accident. That will put the liability on them to sort this claim out in your favour (what insurance company are you with?)  As it was not your fault, and apparently will only cost £400 to repair, you will accept the third party paying you the value you have placed on your car, plus costs and compensation, then you will arrange for a body shop (that you know will do a good job at the price quoted) to carryout the work, supplying them with the replacement parts if required. Yes, the insurance company may / will class your car as a D write off, but once repaired they will continue with the current insurance cover.  You will NOT require a new MOT, unless of course that is due.

This is all I have experienced, with two Omega so called "write offs", with me coming away with what I wanted, not to suit the insurance company (most recently I have found Ageas to be most helpful when achieving my aims, even when I was at fault).  Having a 'rare' car like an Omega, especially a late, mint, low mileage, 3.2 only assisted with my claim as it gave me a strange advantage.

I hope Mike you get what YOU want, but sorry for your bad luck.  Make sure the sods pay for it and you come away with the upper hand :y :y

PS. My insurance premium I have negotiated DOWN since my accident from the £680 they wanted to charge to £340 with the same insurance company, and that is when it was "my fault". ;)

Thanks for the advice Lizzie, currently with LV have not got back to them yet, they have chased me to send them pics, which I done about 4 weeks ago now, so they do not even know they have them and ASDA are with Gallagher Bassett
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.