Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 18673 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit
« Reply #165 on: 21 March 2019, 21:54:20 »

Rest assured, most will be unemployed following the inevitable, not very long to wait, general election.

The only thing that will delay their misery is the sky not caving in on March 30th following a NO Deal Brexit.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 21 March 2019, 22:04:51 »

having not read all the comments posted. but having heard Nigel Farage saying that he would have sent negotiators to companies hoping i guess to put pressure on their respective governments to point out how the uk ,s brexit plans would also cause problems to their trade. i dont think spanish veg & fruit growers will want all their produce rotting in trucks. firms like Varta sell millions of euros in the uk of their products. real negotiators could have maybe done things different to May.
Nobody in the EU cares about Spanish farmers and the like ;)

As I've been saying for nearly 3 years, we were always in a bad place to negotiate, and the EU were never going to give us what was promised by the Leave lot during the referendum.  So, again as I've repeatedly said, the deal negotiated probably was about the best available, no matter who was sent to negotiate it.  Anyone thinking otherwise probably spent too much time reading the (old) Daily Fail.

Now I really don't like or rate our PM, but blaming her for the contents of the deal is a bit daft really.

The whole thing was all very predictable, but now completely ballsed up even further by our elected MPs. That is where 100% of our anger should be pointed.

I will take issue with you on two points highlighted.

First in the grand scheme of things you are right that farmers are insignificant however break it down to a local level e.g. country or province in that country and Spanish farmers not being able to sell their tomatoes to Britain or Danish bacon or French Beaujolais wine or indeed hundreds maybe thousands of other "insignificant" things and it amounts to a local disaster. Sure the EU can do things like find alternative markets (not easy as the prices are supported) or emergency grants. If you are a farmer you cannot live on emergency grants for ever.

Who do you think negotiated the deal if it wasn't May and her right hand man Olly Robbins? I think what you meant to say is the Eu dictated the terms and at no point did she say "no that is unacceptable we will just take our chances on both sides of the channel with no deal". If you go to a negotiating table and just keep taking the scraps then you end up with a bad deal. At no stage did we take the offensive. I do agree that the politicians have let us all down. I wonder where a business owner with a genuine claim for losses would stand in a court of law claiming against T.May on 29th March?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 21 March 2019, 22:09:11 »

Rest assured, most will be unemployed following the inevitable, not very long to wait, general election.

The only thing that will delay their misery is the sky not caving in on March 30th following a NO Deal Brexit.
If there is another election whilst Corbyn heads up Labour, its fair to say we are truly, royally shafted without vaseline.  As always when the Tories have an internal spat over Europe, Labour always win.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 21 March 2019, 22:18:40 »

First in the grand scheme of things you are right that farmers are insignificant however break it down to a local level e.g. country or province in that country and Spanish farmers not being able to sell their tomatoes to Britain or Danish bacon or French Beaujolais wine or indeed hundreds maybe thousands of other "insignificant" things and it amounts to a local disaster. Sure the EU can do things like find alternative markets (not easy as the prices are supported) or emergency grants. If you are a farmer you cannot live on emergency grants for ever.
Although there will be an impact, remember for European nations, other opportunities arise because the UK are unable to be competitive in many markets.  I keep hearing the arguments that the likes of BMW won't allow their country to default to WTO rules with UK blah blah blah, but thats what will happen.  The the EU were overly worried about that, we would have had a stronger hand, but it was obvious before the negotiations started that we were simply insignificant.

Who do you think negotiated the deal if it wasn't May and her right hand man Olly Robbins? I think what you meant to say is the Eu dictated the terms and at no point did she say "no that is unacceptable we will just take our chances on both sides of the channel with no deal". If you go to a negotiating table and just keep taking the scraps then you end up with a bad deal. At no stage did we take the offensive. I do agree that the politicians have let us all down. I wonder where a business owner with a genuine claim for losses would stand in a court of law claiming against T.May on 29th March?
You miss the point. They could have sent Paul McKenna and not got a significantly different deal.  Sorry to say, but our sorry little country hasn't got much to negotiate with.
Grumpy old man

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 21 March 2019, 22:36:00 »

I'm genuinly disappointed to read that you feel so sorrowful and insignificant but feel fortunate that so many more of us don't.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 21 March 2019, 22:52:00 »

I'm genuinly disappointed to read that you feel so sorrowful and insignificant but feel fortunate that so many more of us don't.
It pains me, but it's reality.  Sadly, I suspect a lot of the outrage that the Brexit Bus promises haven't happened is because people think we can demand anything, and everyone else will roll over and give it to us...

...maybe when we had the Empire, but not now.

We are a small country, and don't really have much in the way of manufacturing. What we do have lots off, and we are good at, is financial services. All owned my multinationals, and its relatively simple to lift and shift to other countries. Brexit - whether it happens or not - has decimated our manufacturing and has left our economy stagnant when we should have been in a period of significant growth.  Speak to anyone in virtually any business that sells to the public, and you'll realise that money is tight everywhere.

Which was all very predictable. Which is why I voted remain at the referendum. Because it was the wrong time for the UK to leave.

But thats all in the past, this is where we are. What we don't need now is any delays, as week by week its causing irreparable damage to the UK.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 21 March 2019, 22:57:51 »

The EU are now kicking the fickin can down the road. GET ON WITH IT FFS !!  >:(
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 21 March 2019, 23:57:39 »

For all Macron's tough talk earlier it seems they blinked!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 22 March 2019, 00:05:48 »

They did indeed, for the first time in the whole process, when faced with no deal. And it is now them who have U turned and kicked the can down the road. As Portillo just said, it makes you wonder if we had a Parliament united in its intent to honour the result of the vote and negotiators with steely determination, from the start. How much earlier would they have blinked ?  ::)
« Last Edit: 22 March 2019, 00:07:33 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 22 March 2019, 15:11:35 »

So it looks like Parliament will get a series of 'indicative' votes on BREXIT next week and we'll get to see how pointless they can make leaving the EU whilst paying lip service to the referendum.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #175 on: 22 March 2019, 15:35:15 »

:-X

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 22 March 2019, 16:25:24 »

What is it that is getting all hyped up about a petition to revoke Article 50. You only need half a brain to know everyone that voted Remain could put there signature to it. If a Leave petition was started, everyone who voted leave could put their signature on that petition. Achieving what !!!
Oh.....hang on a minute....I thought that happened in 2016 !!!!!
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.