Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

MOT failure

(1/10) > >>

terry paget:
2000 Omega 2.5 petrol manual estate
Today my best Omega failed its MOT test on several items, may be beyond economic repair.
It failed on the following items:

emissions lambda reading, never below 1.043. Tester suggested this could be explained by a leak in the right hand central pipe where the pipe enters the silencer box. I had tried sealing with Gun Gum, but clearly failed.

rear offside brake pipe rusty

Suspension component munting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strangth Offside Rear (inner wheel arch)
                                           ditto                                                                                                  Nearside Rear

Looks like it needs a new cat back exhaust system, a new brake pipe, and some welding work on the cat to main section as the cat section flanges are strangely thin.

Please advise.

Andy H:
I can sell you a 3.2 estate with an MOT until November 2003 Red MV6 3.2 Estate - for sale.

I was asking £700 but it hasn't sold so I am open to offers...

BazaJT:
A brake pipe[plus ends] is pretty much pennies.Cat back exhaust less than £100[if my saloon one is anything to go by]so it would be the welding that would be the killer for me on cost grounds,but if you can weld then it's basically a no cost option.Just leaves the questions;will a new exhaust cure the emissions problem?and how much do you like/how handy is the car?

Doctor Gollum:

--- Quote from: terry paget on 20 March 2019, 19:17:18 ---2000 Omega 2.5 petrol manual estate
Today my best Omega failed its MOT test on several items, may be beyond economic repair.
It failed on the following items:

emissions lambda reading, never below 1.043. Tester suggested this could be explained by a leak in the right hand central pipe where the pipe enters the silencer box. I had tried sealing with Gun Gum, but clearly failed.

rear offside brake pipe rusty

Suspension component munting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strangth Offside Rear (inner wheel arch)
                                           ditto                                                                                                  Nearside Rear

Looks like it needs a new cat back exhaust system, a new brake pipe, and some welding work on the cat to main section as the cat section flanges are strangely thin.

Please advise.

--- End quote ---
Told you... :-X

The exhaust is the least of your worries, although at £95 at least it's an easy fix. The only welding the car needs is from the rear jacking points to the middle of the rear wheel arches. On both sides.

terry paget:

--- Quote from: BazaJT on 20 March 2019, 19:39:56 ---A brake pipe[plus ends] is pretty much pennies.Cat back exhaust less than £100[if my saloon one is anything to go by]so it would be the welding that would be the killer for me on cost grounds,but if you can weld then it's basically a no cost option.Just leaves the questions;will a new exhaust cure the emissions problem?and how much do you like/how handy is the car?

--- End quote ---
Complete cat back exhaust £93 delivered, see recent thread. I have welding gear and a friendly welder, I will ask him if he can do the wheel arch and the flange. Whether that will cure the lambda is an open question. Thanks for the advice on the brake pipe.
The car belongs to my son, and his 4 year old son Tom thinks it is wonderful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version