Author Topic: SHELL  (Read 2904 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
SHELL
« on: 03 April 2019, 11:18:28 »

I've been a loyal user of V Power and before that Optimax for ages. Why ?

I actually think it's good, but at a price. And, the Shell loyalty scheme was good being able to convert into Air Miles/Avios. I used to a get a long weekend away now and again out of them.

However, no longer. Instead ( Whooopeeee    ???  ) you can get money off in-store purchases. No thanks, it's all overpriced in the first place. So, goodbye Shell . . . .

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: SHELL
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2019, 11:28:10 »

Ignoring the points aspect, V Power is, in my experience, better value as it does tend to give better mpg.

That said, I rarely by Shell fuel as locally it is significantly more expensive and the Trolley does about 38 mpg anyway, but I used to only buy V Power when I had a fuel card for taxi purposes  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2019, 11:47:14 »

Morrisons finest in ours..

..because the petrol station is about 1000 yards from our house, and I'm lazy.

Back when I had the M3 I'd use whatever Super or Super-Super (V-Power or Tesco 99) was available, but since the 650 says it's good down to 85RON, standard UL it is!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2019, 17:23:40 »

I use whats convenient.  I'm not going to travel and waste my time to save a few pence.  Hence I have a wallet full of loyalty cards, be it Shell Drivers, Nectar for BP and Sainos, Morrisons Miles, Tesco Clubcard etc.

However, being a person of firm principles and a stubborn nature, I'd rather run out than use the local BP.

Mrs TB is pretty peeved off, because she's really struggling for LPG now, ever since whoever took over Countrywide simply CBA to fix the only usable pump in or area (Banburyshire) and say they CBA to make a decision on when or if they will fix it, but the Stratford upon Avon one still works.  Yeah, right, like stratford is an option. oppswits. Its probably approaching a year ago it went faulty.

The Shell pump in Little Oxford (Bicester) doesn't work on her car for some unknown reason nobody can fathom...  ...not that its viable now that the level crossing is closed for longer than its open, good ol' Chiltern oppswits.

So she's stuck with 1 option, a 20 mile round trip in a direction she never travels.

I can see this quickly becoming the end of TBE, and replaced with a truck fuelled option.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2019, 18:30:58 »

I fill up when there's about 5litres left in the tank. Locally I avoid the more expensive petrol stations if I remember.
Away from home, I'll fill up a little earlier and not worry about the price. The difference is less than £1 on a full tank in the Metro, so it's not a big enough saving for the hassle.

Petrol comes from the same distribution depots, so just like any other consumable I don't care about brands.

I've only owned one car in over 30 years where 98octane fuel made a noticeable difference, that was my 1800 GDi engined Legnum. The difference  was so small it got 5 tanks full on my French trip that year

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2019, 20:21:04 »

Gave up with Shell a long time ago, despite the fact its the nearest Garage to me, open 247 and is reasonably priced, think about 1.19 for the normal stuff, used to get some nice incentives to use the V Power through the Drivers Club, but that Loyalty scheme is just a joke now, often get a mere 40 plus points for filling up with VP over the next week, an extra 40 points for spending an extra 10p a litre is that really the best they can come up with.  >:(

being a heavy LPG user (all my cars are LPG) I tend to stick with Salisburys and Morrisons, and use there loyalty schemes, purely for Fuel, I am really lucky on LPG around here or on the way into London, a good choice ranging from 54 to 57p, or even Shell at 59p if Im really stuck on the way home.

BP used to get a look in for LPG using there 10p off per liter using there Card Stamp thing (MRH) but theve stopped that now, occasionally I get offered free 500 Necter Points (worth £2.50) so if Im passing I'll wack a Fiver in the Emergency Jerry Can, so that half price Fuel for a rainy day if the LPG ever runs out.

But for me its still LPG all day long, the 3.2 Manual will do around 23 mpg on the stuff without trying, doing the maths thats the same as doing over 50mpg on equivalent Petrol costs, the Veccy 1.8 SRi does a lot, lot better, and if Im really in the mood, on my own and no one is looking I'll jump in the Corsa 1.2 LPG run around which will hoover around 38mpg on LPG, thats equivalent to 82 mpg on Petrol and approaching 90 mpg on Diesel Costs, is a No Brainier for me.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2019, 20:28:14 »

Only use BP Ultimate in all ours , nice & local 😎

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 April 2019, 22:29:12 »

Hmmm. Ok. But I suppose the point I was making is that they've changed their "loyalty scheme" from something that for me was fairly good (weekends in some major city) to something that is crap (10% off an overpriced sandwich).

I once had a weekend in Helsinki, flights and decent hotel, all on Shell Airmiles/Avios, and also Rome.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2019, 23:20:42 »

My Evos mapped on V power so that’s what it gets, and I use it in the lpg cars as they are hardly on it, used to get tickets for a few quid off every now and then. Hadn’t realised they’d changed anything?
Laying a rubber road.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 April 2019, 07:36:49 »

O look the gauge is near E, I better go and put £20 in, where's the nearest supermarket. Job done.
Hoof'land storeman.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 April 2019, 11:26:24 »

O look the gauge is near E, I better go and put £20 in, where's the nearest supermarket. Job done.
£20  :o
that won't get you back from the supermarket  :D

don't keep your wallet in your back pocket
the Omega's seat sensor detects you have money in it and re-calibrates the range  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 April 2019, 14:34:03 »

the Omega's seat sensor detects you have money in it and re-calibrates the range  :y

BigGriff likes to keep his pet moths all warm and cosy tucked up in his wallet!   :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 April 2019, 14:58:33 »

£20 :o Flash git ::) my limit's usually a tenner :D I tell a lie it's usually £10.01p pump always seems to jump that extra penny ;D

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 April 2019, 15:14:02 »

BigGriff likes to keep his pet moths all warm and cosy tucked up in his wallet!   :)

That wurzel picking on me again 

I'll have you know Lepidopterology is a very rewarding hobby.
Hoof'land storeman.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 April 2019, 15:29:42 »

I notice a significant difference in range when using poverty spec derv as opposed to the V-Power version.  Depending on the right foot and traffic it can be as much as 60 miles difference on a full tank.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.