Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next Omega?  (Read 3340 times)

royston1945

• View Profile
Next Omega?
« on: 30 August 2006, 17:47:56 »

According to an article in this weeks Auto Express the new GM Camaro rear drive platform is to be used under the new Omega,due out in 2007! :)

Hope we get the V8 to go with it!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Next Omega?
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2006, 17:54:57 »

Heard it all before...  :(

I am an old cynic I am....

Alas, no more Omegas....

royston1945

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2006, 18:09:54 »

Apparently ,the new floorpan is a 'global' design,making it suitable for both RHD and LHD.Would make sense for GM to re-enter the executive market where FWD doesn't cut it.

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2006, 18:11:33 »

According to an article in this weeks Auto Express the new GM Camaro rear drive platform is to be used under the new Omega,due out in 2007! :)

Hope we get the V8 to go with it!

I found this photo on the web, it was a concept car at the 2003 Geneva Motor Show, it also said that the same platform is called the Zeta and will be used for the GTO's & Camaro's;

« Last Edit: 30 August 2006, 18:46:17 by jim »
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

royston1945

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2006, 18:41:32 »

Looks sweet! Maybe the article was spot on. I'd buy one if the price was right although I'd wait a few months from launch and let somebody else take the initial(no doubt horrendous) depreciation! :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2006, 18:54:23 »

hummmm have to join markjay on this one....

Head it all before, loads of rumours about the next meggy, front wheel drive on the same platform as the next Saab ect ect ect....

Unfortunely any new Omega no matter how good it will be, will not beat the big BMW's or Mercs. We all know how good the facelift was againt its rivals.

Its has a fatal floor..... the Vauxhall badge  :(

I'll belive it when i see it.
« Last Edit: 30 August 2006, 18:55:26 by tunnie »

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2006, 19:07:59 »

GM are selling the Cadillac brand in Europe now, and this is exactly what the Omega used to be... A mid-size non-prestigious RWD exec for £20-£30k. So from their point of view I don’t see the point in doing another completely different car with the same range – they should either push the Cadillac more or simply re-badge it as Vx/Opel…

See the CTS below – engine looks familiar?

« Last Edit: 30 August 2006, 19:08:48 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2006, 19:14:37 »

GM are selling the Cadillac brand in Europe now, and this is exactly what the Omega used to be... A mid-size non-prestigious RWD exec for £20-£30k. So from their point of view I don’t see the point in doing another completely different car with the same range – they should either push the Cadillac more or simply re-badge it as Vx/Opel…

See the CTS below – engine looks familiar?

Agreed, looking at the pic, you can see an omega engine in there!!!
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

STMO123

« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2006, 19:15:57 »

I.personally, would not like to see a 'new' omega. Omegas are quirky,different, sometimes infuriating,just.........omegas. I dont want to see the world and its mate driving the same car as me, I like something a bit different.
Cant see the next generation being loved as much as ours, it'll be just another hybrid, indistinguishable from every other 'large family car' on the road.
LEAVE MY MEEGA ALONE!

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2006, 19:18:05 »

I.personally, would not like to see a 'new' omega. Omegas are quirky,different, sometimes infuriating,just.........omegas. I dont want to see the world and its mate driving the same car as me, I like something a bit different.
Cant see the next generation being loved as much as ours, it'll be just another hybrid, indistinguishable from every other 'large family car' on the road.
LEAVE MY MEEGA ALONE!
Hear, Hear 8-)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2006, 19:34:04 »

again i am with markjay!!  ;D

I can't see GM pumping money into a big new Vx/Opel badged car. If they do make one, it will be badged as a Caddy or Chevy.

Such as the new Chrysler 300 C - They will be cheap fast motoring soon.

Also a new Omega would pull sales away from the 300C, which is aimed at the same market. Big RWD that are cheap, even new.

royston1945

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2006, 19:44:04 »

I agree that the Omega is a very underated car and hard to replace but that's what most Carlton owners said when GM phased out the Omegas' predecessor. The problem is that all omegas are getting on a bit and if you need a new car for business and want a VX it has to be FWD.
Any RWD replacement will be welcomed as an alternative to the default choice of BMW or MERCEDES
and no doubt will offer the same value as a used bargain a few years down the line.
Maybe GM will offer a M5 rival with a whopping big V8- VXR Omega anyone?

STMO123

« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2006, 20:03:42 »

I agree that the Omega is a very underated car and hard to replace but that's what most Carlton owners said when GM phased out the Omegas' predecessor. The problem is that all omegas are getting on a bit and if you need a new car for business and want a VX it has to be FWD.
Any RWD replacement will be welcomed as an alternative to the default choice of BMW or MERCEDES
and no doubt will offer the same value as a used bargain a few years down the line.
Maybe GM will offer a M5 rival with a whopping big V8- VXR Omega anyone?

A really mouth watering idea, but.......look at the vectra VXR. Not a good sign :(

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 August 2006, 20:11:00 »

I can't see GM pumping money into a big new Vx/Opel badged car. If they do make one, it will be badged as a Caddy or Chevy.

Also a new Omega would pull sales away from the 300C, which is aimed at the same market. Big RWD that are cheap, even new.

Yes, I have already eyed the 300C as my potential next motor if no new Omega is on the horizon anytime soon... It captures the Omegas spirit in its being a non-nonsense exec with RWD and down-to-earth price tag. However Chrysler is NOT part of GM - its part of Chrysler-Daimler who compete against GM and Ford in the US market, so the sucess of the 300C will, if anything, make it more likely that GM will push its Cadillac against it.

Alas, no more Omegas....

royston1945

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 August 2006, 20:13:37 »

Yeah but have you seen the Monaro VXR? 400BHP and 530 nm of torque! Maybe GM Europe will take a leaf out of the Aussies' book. ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 August 2006, 20:24:58 »

Yes, I have already eyed the 300C as my potential next motor if no new Omega is on the horizon anytime soon... It captures the Omegas spirit in its being a non-nonsense exec with RWD and down-to-earth price tag. However Chrysler is NOT part of GM - its part of Chrysler-Daimler who compete against GM and Ford in the US market, so the sucess of the 300C will, if anything, make it more likely that GM will push its Cadillac against it.

Oh yeh OoOoPs  :-[

Forgot Chrysler was not part GM  :-[ :-[

Well maybe there will be a new Omega out soon, but 300c's on '06 plates with fully kitted with less than 10k miles are already going for less than 20k

royston1945

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 August 2006, 20:42:03 »

I think the caddy looks ok but IMHO the depreciation will be be on a par with the 300C once the novelty of the badge has worn off.The vectra/saab base is not exactly exciting either!
If  300c prices continue in freefall I'll look for one in the auctions early next year when they should be about half price-a bargain. ;D

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 August 2006, 22:42:23 »

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 August 2006, 22:44:54 »

Chrysler 300 engine choices:

'6.1-liter SRT HEMI® V8 engine with 425 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque

Chrysler 300C SRT8 is the most powerful vehicle for under $45,000.*

5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine with Multiple-Displacement System (MDS), 340 horsepower at 5,000 rpm, and 390 lb-ft of torque, standard on 300C—the most horsepower and torque in its class.† MDS allows the engine to operate on four cylinders when power demands are minimal, increasing fuel efficiency by up to 20 percent. This provides the power of a V8 with the economy of a large V6. (EPA estimated mpg: 17 city/ 25 highway)

3.5-liter high-output V6 SOHC engine with 250 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 250 lb-ft of torque, standard on 300 Touring and 300 Limited. (EPA estimated mpg: 18 city/ 28 highway)

2.7-liter DOHC 24-valve multipoint fuel injection V6 engine with 190 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 190 lb-ft of torque, standard on the 300 (EPA estimated mpg: 21 city/ 28 highway) '

Alas, no more Omegas....

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 August 2006, 10:33:05 »

I think it looks like the CROSSFIRE from the back but all the same still looks nice.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.