Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cars with high driving positons  (Read 6573 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Cars with high driving positons
« Reply #15 on: 31 August 2006, 11:05:56 »

freelanders seam cheap! very cheap.

Thats given us a few ideas, when the freelander was built, did Ford own landy?

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 August 2006, 11:23:16 »

Have you looked at the Zafira I always thought that the drivers height was quite high up, nearly went for one last year.  :)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 August 2006, 11:23:36 »

If your going for a Range Rover of that age your best off with the last of the classic which is a 94/95. The first of the newer shape have poor electrics also the classics are cheap to convert to LPG I did mine for less than £300  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

£300!! tell me more!

Are the late classic shape really much more reliable than the first of the newer shapes??

This is what i was looking at:

6grand and fully loaded

He should enjoy his motoring when he can.

Looked at Galaxys, but he did't like the shape  ::)

Citreon Picasso type things were on the cars, but their driving position is not that much heigher...

The ones to look for are the softdash models and if you have the space an LSE which is a 4.2 engine, 8" longer and much more sought after than a normal range rover and all the space is for the rear seat passengers. The last of the classics has the air suspension which you can raise and lower to ease getting in and out which can be troublesome but you will find that after 10 years most of the problems have already been sorted and its cheap enough to replace the suspension air bags with springs and shocks. The other major problem is rust, top and bottom tailgates, rear crossmember, front edge of bonnet and inner sills but again most cars can suffer this if not looked after. The LPG was in kit form from a block in Newport, was easy to install and it only took me a weekend to fit. I had my LSE for about 18 months and bought it off ebay off a headmaster of a local school. When i spoke to him he said it was in excellent condition so I asked if he would end the auction early which he did. As I work away I sent him a cheque for the car after all if you cant trust a headmaster who can you trust. My face must have been a picture when I picked it up it must have been the most abused Range Rover i have ever seen. I replaced the bonnet, lower tailgate, rear cross member and plated the inner sills for the next MOT but saying that it only once let me down and that was a sticking thermostat and I cover about 600 miles a week. I swapped it for my meega as although it was fully loaded, Memory leather heated seats, aircon, heated front screen, cruise control it wasnt as comfy on the long runs as my previous meega. Just as a note there are loads of people that break these and second hand parts are quite cheap. The 4.6 engine in the newer Range Rovers had problems with the liners moving and overheating which is an engine rebuild.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2006, 11:27:35 by Elite_Pete »
Retired

Davey

• Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 August 2006, 11:57:23 »

Seriously pre-bmw Land Rovers (Discos), Range Rovers ARE A JOKE.. And the later stuff is over-priced :)

Get him to go and drive a Fiat Multipla, Hyaundai Tuscan and a Kia Sportage (or Sorrento if he wants a BIG 4x4).. The later two are VERY reliable and stupidly cheap second hand.

Davey

• Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 August 2006, 11:58:23 »

Just as a note there are loads of people that break these and second hand parts are quite cheap. The 4.6 engine in the newer Range Rovers had problems with the liners moving and overheating which is an engine rebuild.

Lets not forget the random snapping oil pump chains!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 August 2006, 12:24:57 »

cheers for all that, not getting a RR now  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 August 2006, 12:37:22 »

Seriously pre-bmw Land Rovers (Discos), Range Rovers ARE A JOKE.. And the later stuff is over-priced :)

Get him to go and drive a Fiat Multipla, Hyaundai Tuscan and a Kia Sportage (or Sorrento if he wants a BIG 4x4).. The later two are VERY reliable and stupidly cheap second hand.
Pre BMW LRs are OK ish, but dated. RR from this era will probably be rusted away now.

BMW LRs have the BMW reliability, ie crap. The new transfer box fitted to RRs in this era are weak and hugely, hugely expensive, and difficult for dealers to obtain.

Ford rejigged LRs are a million times better, but obviously that much newer, and expensive. Retain price well as (rightly) sort after.

Personally, I really didn't like the Multipla (about 4 or 5 years ago when I drove one). A mate had the Tuscan for the day and said decent motor. Dunno about the Kia.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 August 2006, 12:58:15 »

he does't like the idea of 3 seats in the front, also the fact its a people carrier and got all these extra seats he does't need!

Various reasons for changing, he'd like an auto and higher position. But i am trying to perswade him onto a megga  ;D

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 August 2006, 12:59:56 »

he does't like the idea of 3 seats in the front, also the fact its a people carrier and got all these extra seats he does't need!

Various reasons for changing, he'd like an auto and higher position. But i am trying to perswade him onto a megga  ;D

Ahhh trying to off load the project  ;D ;D ;D
Retired

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 August 2006, 13:36:34 »

Ahhh trying to off load the project  ;D ;D ;D

Ssshhhh ;)

Seriously though I am begining to think she should't bother changing. His 406 HDi does 50+ mpg easily, and only has 38k miles on the clock.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 31 August 2006, 13:37:25 »

not a green mreg elite estate?

how about a n reg cd saloon...

;D
Grumpy old man

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 August 2006, 13:41:02 »

not a green mreg elite estate?

how about a n reg cd saloon...

;D

Just think if you remove the sunroof place a fish tank on top and raise the seat 12" job sorted [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Retired

Davey

• Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31 August 2006, 13:44:45 »

Ford rejigged LRs are a million times better, but obviously that much newer, and expensive. Retain price well as (rightly) sort after..

I think your getting the wrong end of the stick, BMW currently own RR..

Personally, I really didn't like the Multipla (about 4 or 5 years ago when I drove one). A mate had the Tuscan for the day and said decent motor. Dunno about the Kia.

The Kia and Hyaundai's are the same thing basically :) I drove a Sorento TDi a few weeks back and I was very impressed.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2006, 13:45:57 by Davey »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 31 August 2006, 13:46:57 »

Ford own Landrover (and obviously Range Rover).
Grumpy old man

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31 August 2006, 13:49:04 »

Ford own Range Rover hence the Jaguar V8 engine in them
Retired
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.