Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cam/Crank Sensor  (Read 2402 times)

Taxi_Driver

Cam/Crank Sensor
« on: 03 August 2006, 07:27:02 »

I read this on another site....and no it wasnt vxon
It was about a Vectra tho.....mk1 i believe and dont know if its is the same on Omegas but dont see why not.

It was about a non starting problem.

The guy was advised to unplug the crank sensor.....if it then started the fault was the crank sensor and the cam sensor must be ok.
Same with the cam sensor.......if it starts with the cam sensor unplugged then cam sensor is faulty and crank sensor must be ok.

Just thought if this to be the case.....then if Omegas fail to start due to crank sensor fault.....unplugging it could be a temp fix to get you 'home'.

What do peeps reckon....

If this should be in general chat please feel free to move

Cheers

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
Re: Cam/Crank Sensor
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2006, 07:34:32 »

I'm pretty certain when i was having trouble a while back with my crank sensor, before fitting the new one i had tried it disconnected and it wouldn't start. As soon as i changed the sensor away it went. Never missed a beat since.

Needs the signal before the fuel pump will run apparently. It's the V6 i've got though so it may be different.

I'm sure Mark will know the answer!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

He kept me right.
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2006, 08:25:32 »

If someone can start their car with the crank sensor unplugged I will be seriously impressed!  ;D

A dead cam sensor will not prevent it starting, will make it run like a dog though!

The Administrator.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2006, 08:36:20 »

No crank sensor, the car won't start. No cam sensor, it may run, but in limp only...
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2006, 08:56:54 »

The key thing to understanding this is to think what each sensor does.

Cam Sensor, this gives the ECU information on which cylinder is firing next, it needs this to support sequential fuel injection and to know which coil to trigger on coil per plug setups (i.e. 2.2,  2.6, 3.2). This information can not be obtained from the crank sensor as its a 4 stroke engine. Some may remember the early fuel injection systems which didnt utilise sequential injection and didn't have a cam sensor.

Most ECU setups can overcome failure of this by firing two spark plugs (true of a DIS pack anyway) and two injectors (or even all four injectors) simultaneously and limit the revs to 4K rpm as part of a limp home mode of operation. Its not the most efficient way of running though.

Crank Position Sensor (or crank angle sensor) -  this gives the ECU information on the crank position, this is key to getting the timing of the injection pulse and spark ignition correct (these are referenced to the crank and hence piston position), without crank position the ECU would only now which cylinder was firing next as the cam sensor cannot give accurate positional info to back it up.

As a result no crank signal results in no engine running and thanks to the critical nature of the signal the ECU wont operate spark, injection or fuel pump with it missing.

As a further point to consider on the crank signal, a few lost pulses can be accommodated as the ECU can actually guess pretty accurately where the next one should be, this it can cope with  for quite a few pulses.....hence a failing crank sensor often can get you home.

An the subject of this, it is very rarely the cam sensor that fails, as a rule its the cable that connects to it that breaks down so if your stuck and good with a soldering iron, you could splice a new length of cable to it. This is also born out by the fact that the V6 cam sensor pretty much never causes problems (never ever seen one needing changing) but, the cable is routed in a much nicer and cooler environment.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2006, 09:02:47 by Mark »

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2006, 16:59:02 »

Thanks for the explanation Mark  :)

I just found the link again to the forum page it was on.

http://www.ilexa.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12876.0.html

I guess he's talking dogs do do's

Cheers

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2006, 17:02:43 »

i think he's getting confused, and doesn't really know what he's doing...
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2006, 17:16:36 »

You could unplug the cam sensor and it would still run, unplug the crank and it wont....try it!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2006, 17:33:33 »

I would if knew where it was lol......i could find it on a V6  ;D
But i dont think anyones said before where it is on a 2.2, if they have i missed it  :-/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2006, 17:37:28 »

The connector is normaly front left, the wire runs acress the front of the engine and down to the sensor which is behind aircon pump

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2006, 18:19:15 »

The connector is normaly front left, the wire runs acress the front of the engine and down to the sensor which is behind aircon pump

Just been to have a look....

My aircon pump is on the right below the power steering pump......the only wire i can see that runs across the front then drops down (right or left) is on the right, drops behind the aircon pump then disapears between the dipstick and an engine mount and couldnt see/feel a connector....if this is the correct wire/s (as its in a plastic shroud) the connector must be well buried.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 August 2006, 18:28:40 »

I'll try and have a look tomorrow, and take a picci if I can.
I like red cars

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 August 2006, 22:01:16 »

The end thats buried is the sensor end.....follow it up and over the engine to the connector

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #13 on: 05 August 2006, 06:58:33 »

okay dokey......i'll have another look

cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.