Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Engine?? Advice needed please!  (Read 1917 times)

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
  • AAARRRRGGGGGGGGG, IT'S WAS ONLY A GLS!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
What Engine?? Advice needed please!
« on: 04 September 2006, 16:55:45 »

Hi all,
       I collected my 1999 GLS estate yesterday, complete with knackered engine, as I posted in the Newbie secton last week  :) I'm reckoning the easiest course of action will be to source another engine as the original was run low on oil and severley cooked. My engine code is X20XEV, will an engine from an earlier 2ltr Omega fit okay or will I need to source one from a later car? I believe the later engines had balancer shafts etc fitted, how much difference does this make? Did they change the engine again at a later date or will any post 1999 unit do?
As mine is an auto, is there anything I should watch out for regarding the torque converter when refitting? it's been out of the car for a few months.

Any advice greatfully received and if you've got a decent engine kicking about (or complete car for spares) in Central Scotland, all the better  ;)

Many Thanks, Jim
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: What Engine?? Advice needed please!
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2006, 17:36:30 »

Hi guys,
           I was really hoping someone could give me some advice on my engine dilema, but so far not a peep  :'(  Has anyone had any experiencies with fitting an earlier engine? I'm trying to find out if there would be any problems before I spend some money and avoid buying something that won't be of any use to me.
         As an Omega newbie, I'm not familiar with the changes made, I just know that my original unit is the one with the balance shafts and has the engine code X20XEV, Help please......pretty please  :-/

If all else fails, maybe I could bolt two Hillman Imp engines together, at least I know my way around them  ;D

Cheers Jim
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2006, 18:41:02 »

Hmmm. looks like no one has an answer for you.

The main guru of the site went off on the Czechwrecks 2006 rally.

Should be back in a day or so, if you can hang on.

Keep bumping this thread to the top on a daily basis.
I like red cars

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2006, 18:58:46 »

Hi guys,
           I was really hoping someone could give me some advice on my engine dilema, but so far not a peep  :'(  Has anyone had any experiencies with fitting an earlier engine? I'm trying to find out if there would be any problems before I spend some money and avoid buying something that won't be of any use to me.
         As an Omega newbie, I'm not familiar with the changes made, I just know that my original unit is the one with the balance shafts and has the engine code X20XEV, Help please......pretty please  :-/

If all else fails, maybe I could bolt two Hillman Imp engines together, at least I know my way around them  ;D

Cheers Jim

I had an Imp engine once - replaced with the 1600 short stroke push rod lump and tuned it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2006, 19:06:03 »

I'm sure someone may be able to give advice. Alas, not me. Sounds scary ;)
Grumpy old man

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2006, 21:07:37 »

Thanks guys, I'll do as you say and hopefully get to speak with the Guru soon  ;) I might have an engine lined up from an R reg car so here's hoping. As for it being scary, I'm looking at it like a big jigsaw puzzle - without the picture on the box  :-/ The hardest part will be working out what attaches where, especially as I didn't take the engine out! I'm sure the big pile of bits in the corner of the garage MUST fit somewhere, lol.
Just to add a bit more fun to the problem, I'll need to work out how to connect up the LPG system again, it's only single point so shouldn't be too hard (hopefully)

Cheers Jim

STMO123

« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2006, 21:43:47 »

Rather you than me, Jim. Good luck [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2006, 22:16:34 »

I'm sure someone may be able to give advice. Alas, not me. Sounds scary ;)

Where's RMcB? Would he know Jamie?
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 September 2006, 09:55:07 »

I know he's a bit busy with other stuff for a day or 2...
Grumpy old man

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 September 2006, 10:26:18 »

now i am by no means an expert but as far as i know the only changes were internal ie the balance shafts so evrything like mounts and looms should be in the right place for a straight over swap only difficulty i could see would be sourcing one with the correct gearbox setup as there may be a difference there, you could try ringing around a few garages for a "quote" to get the work done and see if any of them say it can or cant be done and do the job yourself anyway.
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 September 2006, 21:14:27 »

Try to get a 98 or later power plant in order to get the balance shaft setup as it does make a bit of difference.

Fly wheel, sensors etc can be swapped over to the new lump if required and remember that one from a Vectra or Astra could also be used (fly wheel would definately need changing on these).

Also, the lower the mileage the better.

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 September 2006, 22:16:18 »

Thanks for the advice so far. I wasn't sure if the Astra or Vectra unit would be usable with them being fwd, good to hear they are compatible. I guess I'd need to use my own sump as well as the flywheel? At least it gives a few more cars to raid at the breakers  ;) I'm hoping to get a power plant sometime in the next week and get the Omega up and running again. I had a poke about it today just to see what else I'll need to sort out, looks like the interior will need a good scrub as it's the light beige cloth seating and the back ones filthy  :(  Other than that, I'll need to regass the aircon as the've disconnected it when taking the engine out. I can't really check any of the electrics until I fit the engine and get everything connected up.

I'll keep you all updated with progress & no doubt I'll have some other queries very soon  :-/

cheers Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.