Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help please  (Read 1782 times)

RobC_NE

• North East
  • IMI and VSIB Qualified Auto Electrician
    • View Profile
help please
« on: 01 October 2006, 03:54:10 »

ok guys urgent help needed. when looking from the front of the car
---how can i tell where the cam pulleys should be when the crank is at TDC?
---are they set at exhaust and inlet if so whish ones are set to what
---how can i tell when the crank is at TDC? pics would be a god send.

dont have a locking kit so am having to do without. top idler dissintergated on me a couple of hours ago  :'( oh yeah. if someone has a how2 or link to one would be much appreciated.

thanks.

Rob
Saxo, corsa, clit drivers. Before starting on a journey, attach a lit sparkler to the antenna of your car. you drive the thigs like dodgems. for the love of god MAKE IT LOOK THE PART!

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: help please
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2006, 07:59:31 »

Rob. DO NOT try and do this job without the locking kit!

You cannot set the timing properly without it.

How did the idler disintegrate? I take it you were driving at the time?
The Administrator.

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2006, 09:33:36 »

Really sorry to hear about your problems, Rob. Have you got a copy of the cambelt DVD? Robin Hood will send you one for £3, but, If your really desperate, PM me and mine will be in the post first thing tomorrow.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2006, 09:35:14 »

Cambelt DVD details everything you need.

Cams are numebred 1 through 4 reading from left to right when viewed from the front.

Crank has a thick slot machined into the face of it which lines up wih a cut out on the oil pump casting (at the bottom below the crank nose.

Did the belt jump.....if so its bent valve time possibly.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2006, 10:06:16 »

Aren't Autovaux up your neck of woods? They hire locking kits.

Even if you do manage to successfully get belt on without locking (not really recommended), I would borrow a locking kit asap and double check cam timing at the earliest opportunity.

Good luck with it... :)
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2006, 11:16:36 »

I take it that it is a V6 b/c you said 'top idler'.  You can get it together and running without the kit if you are good, but you will need the kit to get the cam timing right.  (the full kit, not just the cam locks)  That should be doable later if you are really desperate.  The DVD is incredibly helpful.

Starting from the left, cam 1 is at TDC when the mark in the wheel with the number "1" stamped near it lines up with the notch in the rear cambelt cover.  Cam 2 same with number "2".  I never looked, but probably the same for cams 3 & 4.  The crank has a flat in it that points straight down at TDC.  You can also put the front cam belt cover and crank pulley back on.  There is a TDC mark in the pulley that lines up with the corner of the cam belt cover pointing towards cam 4.

Only turn the crank clockwise, and if the belt is off you may not be able to turn it all the way due to the valves.

Good luck!
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2006, 12:56:11 »

I take it that it is a V6 b/c you said 'top idler'.  You can get it together and running without the kit if you are good, but you will need the kit to get the cam timing right.  (the full kit, not just the cam locks)  That should be doable later if you are really desperate.  The DVD is incredibly helpful.

Starting from the left, cam 1 is at TDC when the mark in the wheel with the number "1" stamped near it lines up with the notch in the rear cambelt cover.  Cam 2 same with number "2".  I never looked, but probably the same for cams 3 & 4.  The crank has a flat in it that points straight down at TDC.  You can also put the front cam belt cover and crank pulley back on.  There is a TDC mark in the pulley that lines up with the corner of the cam belt cover pointing towards cam 4.

Only turn the crank clockwise, and if the belt is off you may not be able to turn it all the way due to the valves.

Good luck!

Unless the cams are correctly timed and hence the cam lobes correctly loaded, you can not set tension correctly.....note, tension is also affected by removing the spark plugs to.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2006, 13:28:14 »

The cambelt won't be done correctly, and it won't be safe for anywhere near 40K, but it should run.  The question is how desperate this person is to get the car running by Monday?

RobC_NE

• North East
  • IMI and VSIB Qualified Auto Electrician
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2006, 14:33:01 »

The cambelt won't be done correctly, and it won't be safe for anywhere near 40K, but it should run.  The question is how desperate this person is to get the car running by Monday?

im very desperate lol. need to get a new belt and tensioner kit asap. as for a locking kit, am running on a very tight budget so cant afford to hire any out from autovaux. but atm they aint essaential as long as i get the timing as near to perfect as i can without them it should get me going again then when i do get some re do the timing.
Saxo, corsa, clit drivers. Before starting on a journey, attach a lit sparkler to the antenna of your car. you drive the thigs like dodgems. for the love of god MAKE IT LOOK THE PART!

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2006, 14:39:05 »

Rob mate, listen to what we are all saying. DO NOT try this without a locking kit. What happened to the idelr? Did the idler give in with the engine running? If so, as Mark quite rightly says, it is LOTS of bent valves time.

Stop and take stock mate and We'll try and help.

Take a photo of what is wrong and we can guide you from there. £15 for hire from Autovaux is cheap, you need to get a cambelt kit anyway, but if this all went wrong with the engine running you may have a much bigger problem.

Pics: Click to enlarge

« Last Edit: 01 October 2006, 14:56:23 by RonaldMcBurger »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 October 2006, 14:42:13 »

Timing/Locking Kit is £15 to hire from autovaux iirc, and they are possibly cheapest place to get cambelt kit from anyway.  I really would urge you to consider using a locking kit - if not immediately due to being an emergency, within the next few days...
« Last Edit: 01 October 2006, 14:42:55 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2006, 15:03:40 »

As others have mentioned, PLEASE don't try this without the kit. I learned the importance of this the hard way, and ended up with a VERY bad engine.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2006, 15:56:24 »

You CANNOT get the timing anywhere near correct without the kit, unless you really are an expert.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 October 2006, 16:04:23 »

You CANNOT get the timing anywhere near correct without the kit, unless you really are an expert.
Without the kit, you cannot get the timing correct - nothing to use to time up cams. Remember these V6 engines have adjustable cam timing, so not just a case of 'slapping the belt on' like many other cars...
« Last Edit: 01 October 2006, 16:04:46 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 October 2006, 21:29:51 »

Without the kit, you cannot get the timing correct - nothing to use to time up cams. Remember these V6 engines have adjustable cam timing, so not just a case of 'slapping the belt on' like many other cars...
I agree completely.  Don't take what I said earlier as anything other than a case of severe desperation to be able to get to work this week, then get the locking kit and redo it next weekend.  It's only 15 to hire the kit, unless you are really good you won't get anywhere without it, and you need it ASAP to get the install right no matter how good you are.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2006, 21:30:26 by theolodian »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.