Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Calling all I.T People....  (Read 7960 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all I.T People....
« Reply #45 on: 14 September 2006, 21:27:54 »

I think Sony have gone so downhill in the last 5 or 6 years, and I've been bitten by them a number of times now.

No Sony stuff will ever be brought into my house again  >:(

A mate just bought, against my advice, a Sony LCD only to find no PC input, which means no easy connection for MCE. Typical Sony, insisting on using HDMI (presumably to control content). Same as early Sony DVD players unable to read DVD-Rs...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #46 on: 14 September 2006, 21:51:17 »

A mate just bought, against my advice, a Sony LCD only to find no PC input, which means no easy connection for MCE. Typical Sony, insisting on using HDMI (presumably to control content). Same as early Sony DVD players unable to read DVD-Rs...

DVI can be a PC input - but that is not too important - whatever I get I want multiple HDMI

As to DVD-R and Early Sony DVD players my player was a 1998 model bought cheap in 1999 DVD-R came out a couple of years later.

However it would play ones up to about 3.5GB then would stutter - but I have replaced it because it started to do this on normal DVDs.

2000 hours is normal laser life.

Denons are supposed to be pretty bad at DVD-R - the best are the PC drive based players.

I suppose I buy rarely but spend a lot is why I have had few problems with anything I've bought.

Only companies I will not touch are Amstrad (rubbish)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 14 September 2006, 22:01:57 »

Wish I'd bought an Amstrad telly  >:(
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #48 on: 14 September 2006, 22:11:39 »

You wouldn't - they are absolutely dire, made from cheapest parts and cheapest place.

Their music centres were advertised as having CD I heard one playing - sounded as good as AM radio.

I personally have managed to avoid through both skill and very good luck *BUYING* anything (except cars) that is actualy junk. The nearest is an Epson printer which burnt its heads out (replaced with a Canon with seperate tanks), and a Pace PVR which some people have had massive problems with - but I have avoided the hardware ones, and the software is now good.

I have been given things that have broken down.

I have a 23 Y/O, a 20 Y/O, and a 17Y/O video recorders

That said my first Omega was a total lemon!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 14 September 2006, 22:14:37 »

they are absolutely dire, made from cheapest parts and cheapest place.
thought we were talking about sony for a mo....
Grumpy old man

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 15 September 2006, 10:25:38 »

Their music centres were advertised as having CD I heard one playing - sounded as good as AM radio.

AM Radio - Great  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Since this thread has gone slightly AV thought I would add and ask at the same time!

I agree about VCRs.  Being into video editing, I also agree about the Sony video cameras.  I have 5 VCRs, three of which are Panasonic.  1 is the old "drawbridge" type an NV-F70, purchased seconhand, another is the HD100 and the third is a HS950 which is super VHS format.  All of these are editing decks and have been (are) great.  There is, though, one thing that lets them all down - they are VHS!!

I have the DCRVX2000E video camera and this is also great - picture quality is suberb, being a 3 chip camera.

Like you Martin, I go for HiFi Seperates rather than all in one.  Now you may frown on this, but I am currently after a CD multiplayer as my Technics has started to skip.  Do you have any recommendations?
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Martin_1962

« Reply #51 on: 15 September 2006, 10:59:30 »

CD Multiplayer - hmm - how many discs?

How much do you want to pay?

Do you have a decent HiFi shop locally?

I reckon an around £200 or so for a semi decent one, I would recommend finding a few then looking for reviews.

If you have NG access, there are a few uk. hifi news groups.

You could also ask in avforums

VCRs

Well lets start - only one I have bought new

Sony SL-F1UB portable bought in 1985 second hand just after the end of GWR150 >:( - if only I had it 3 months earlier. Also had HVC4000P camera.

This was machine of the year 1982!! (83 was C9 84 HF100)

Sony SLHF950 Super Beta HiFi - a fantastic VCR, bought new in 1989 for £800, I have NICAM converted it. Had one set of heads in 8 years ago at £180 or similar.

Sony SLHF100P Beta HiFi duplicator - bought as a bit knackered for £25 3 years ago - needs a service.

Sanyo VTC-M40 Beta HiFi - my dads old VCR - still works, use it for capturing. Been reheaded and redrivemotored not bad for 20 years old.

Two Vhs decks, I have Panasonic - electrically dead - worked for a while - from my dad - I used it as a duplicator. A Sony badged (off dad) keeps playing up it is horrible, and it wasn't much cheaper than what I paid for my genuine Sony which is so much better, lots of features but unreliable - been into repair twice.

I wore out the 950 heads using it as an editor and by playing back edit masters onto the Vhs deck.

NLE on PC is so much easier and duplicating is also easier - especially since I have bought a new burner.

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 16 September 2006, 22:32:36 »

Thanks for your advice.

My Technics is a 5 disc which is fine.  I do not want one of those 100 juke box things. Other than these, I cannot find any multiplayers of note.  When What HiFi was a decent mag that would have been my first avenue of research.

Price range is between £200 - 400.  Although I currenty have a technics, I was going to use this as an opportunity to get something better.  I know that NAD and Karmon Kardon (possible spelling error there!) used to do them, but no longer.  I have heard that marantz also do them but would think twice about this due to the Phillips origins (I do not like Phillips).

There is no decent HiFi shop nearby.  I went to one in Watford (not too far away) and they were pretty much laughing, so I walked out!

Your VCR collection is impressive - I would, some day, like to acquire a Beta.  What is even more impressive is your NiCAM conversion!

Never really used my 950 for hard editing as about a year after I had it I moved into the Mini DV relm and with it into Adobe Premire.  Now I distribute on DVD which means I hardly ever (if at all) use the VCRs.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Martin_1962

« Reply #53 on: 16 September 2006, 22:43:56 »

Thanks for your advice.

My Technics is a 5 disc which is fine.  I do not want one of those 100 juke box things. Other than these, I cannot find any multiplayers of note.  When What HiFi was a decent mag that would have been my first avenue of research.

Price range is between £200 - 400.  Although I currenty have a technics, I was going to use this as an opportunity to get something better.  I know that NAD and Karmon Kardon (possible spelling error there!) used to do them, but no longer.  I have heard that marantz also do them but would think twice about this due to the Phillips origins (I do not like Phillips).

There is no decent HiFi shop nearby.  I went to one in Watford (not too far away) and they were pretty much laughing, so I walked out!

Your VCR collection is impressive - I would, some day, like to acquire a Beta.  What is even more impressive is your NiCAM conversion!

Never really used my 950 for hard editing as about a year after I had it I moved into the Mini DV relm and with it into Adobe Premire.  Now I distribute on DVD which means I hardly ever (if at all) use the VCRs.

When I did my heavy editing there was no such thing as MiniDV, as to Beta Ebay has them regularly - seen a 950 go for under £100 earlier this year - I was amazed as I have seen them hit £500, and an M40 hit £400.

Last VCR I used excepting my MiniDV was the F1 to recapture some 1986/7 stuff to try to do another DVD to sell.

I remember editing Beta and Video8 footage together for one day, unplug from F1 into Canon, remove from Canon into F1. The next time I touched that footage I borrowed a Hi8 editor and captured it rather editied on the 950
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 18 queries.