Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5td Drive belt and water pump replacement.  (Read 7574 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
2.5td Drive belt and water pump replacement.
« on: 21 January 2010, 11:04:54 »

Having just done this job I felt it would be helpful if all the information gleaned from others was in a guide. I take no credit other than for posting it all together. Thanks to all those posters, particularly TheBoy and Charlie, for information used.

The only special tools required are a 32mm open ended, or large adjustable, spanner for the viscous fan, and a 10mm Allen key.

1.      Ensure rear wheels are firmly chocked. Jack car to a suitable height for working underneath, and support at jacking points on suitable axle stands. I removed the front wheels for ease of access.

2.      Remove engine underbody tray.

3.      If changing the water pump, from N/S rear of the radiator, drain it by unscrewing the red knurled knob at the bottom.

The adjacent drain spigot will take a hose if required.

4.      Identify, then release, 13 mm block drain plug O/S aft of turbo, easily accessed from underneath. WATCH OUT, or you will get soaked. TIP: use a bin liner on your hand and arm for removing the bolt.

5.      Remove plastic engine covers and air intake duct from top and
front of engine.

6.      Identify and draw a diagram of the correct belt routings.

7.      If A/C is fitted, you will have an additional belt at the front driving the A/C compressor. From underneath, O/S, identify the tensioner wheel between the crankshaft and A/C pulleys, and carefully prise the plastic cover from the front of the tensioner  pulley.

8.      Slacken the 13mm retaining bolt, and if necessary use a 10mm Allen key to ease the tensioner wheel away from the belt. Remove the 13mm bolt, remove the wheel and inspect for serviceability.

9.      Using a 32mm open ended spanner remove the viscous fan, which is a LH thread.

10.      If required, access may now be improved, by removing the viscous fan plastic shroud.

11.      Remove the A/C belt and inspect for damage if refitting.*

12.      From the top identify the tensioner for the main drive belt. See photo.

Remove the yellow bolt, slacken the blue pivot bolt, then, using mole grips (shown red) or a suitable lever on the black bracket, hold it down against belt and tension pressure and remove the green torx bolt, (a hex bolt on mine).

13.      After relaxing the tensioner, remove the tensioner wheel from its bracket and inspect its bearing for serviceability. Remove the drive belt and inspect if refitting.*

14.      If changing the water pump, identify the water pump pulley, the upper left one as you view from the front, and progressively slacken then remove 4x10mm retaining bolts and remove the pulley from its flange on the pump. It may be very stiff due rusting, and a squirt of WD40 or similar left on overnight will help. I applied gentle heat to the pulley with a soldering gas torch while rotating it, which did the trick.

15.      Progressively slacken then remove 4x10mm bolts retaining the water pump, and using two of these bolts, screw them into the two opposing threaded holes provided in the pump body to push the pump out. Identify the correct position for the pump replacement, as it will only fit one way.

16.      Coat the rubber ‘O’ seal ring on the new pump with silicone grease to assist refitting, noting correct orientation, fit the pump, then tighten bolts progressively.

17.      Refit the water pump pulley, tighten the bolts progressively.

18.      Refer to your diagram in 6. above, and refit the belt on the fixed pulleys. Note that the top run routes through the tensioner bracket above the tensioner wheel, then replace the latter in its bracket, picking up the belt loop from the water pump/crankshaft pulleys, and tighten the pulley bolt.

19.      To refit the main tensioner, refer to the photo in 12. Again using a suitable tool, pivot the black bracket against belt/tensioner pressure, and refit the green bolt. Replace the yellow bolt and tighten the blue pivot bolt.

20.      If A/C fitted, refit the A/C belt and pulley wheel. Tighten the tensioner wheel Allen key and hex bolt, and replace the plastic cover.

21.      Refit the viscous fan. (Some members run with this removed.)

22.      Before replacing air duct and engine covers, and with the drain plug and block drain closed, refer to http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90625.0 for replacing the coolant.

23.      After an engine run to check for leaks, replace engine covers and air duct.

24.      Replace the engine underbody tray, and the job’s complete.

After refitting any item, check its fixing for the correct torque loading.
These torque loadings were passed to me by a member:
10mm water pump and pump pulley bolts = 10Nm
A/C tensioner pulley 13mm = 22Nm
A/C tensioner pulley Allen key pressure against new belt = 5 - 6.5Nm
Against old belt = 7 - 8.5Nm.

*If you have to remove these belts for any reason, I would recommend fitting new ones as a matter of course.

« Last Edit: 27 September 2011, 09:18:27 by Jimbob »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.