Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground Source Heat Pump  (Read 1136 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Ground Source Heat Pump
« on: 12 August 2020, 21:04:55 »

I've seen a house out in the sticks that I'm kinda interested in which is heated by underfloor heating run off a ground source heat pump (apparently it heats the hot water as well) and a wood burner.  :-\  The bedrooms upstairs have conventional looking radiators which I guess are run off either the ground source heat pump or the wood burner, as there's no gas.  ::)  I did say it was out in the sticks!  :P  ;D

Anyone have any experience of these things?  ???

TIA!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Ground Source Heat Pump
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2020, 21:24:06 »

How effective they are depends on how deep the pipes are run and how long they are.

Soil/ground type has a bearing on this.

This might help, but consider the source... No pun intended  :D

https://www.gshp.org.uk/ground_source_heat_pumps_Domestic.html#:~:text=Boreholes%20are%20drilled%20to%20a,ground%20and%20so%20enhance%20performance.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2020, 00:31:51 »

All clever stuff, Been talking about it on and off over the last year after seeing a house for sale that had a few solor panels and a ground force heat system & getting payments averageing a £1000 month. :y

Then on a larger house/hall they had a Biomass boiler system that heated the main house & 3 buildings and getting £20k a year back. 8)

Not sure on the oulay but free leccy, heat & water  plus an income cant be a bad thing. :y

Also the other thing mentioned today was electric powered combi boilers and how they were becoming more popular due to solor panel popularity. :y

I keep putting the lottery on and live in hope. ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2020, 00:51:42 »

Unfortunately, the days of juicy income payments from the government for these sorts of things are gone. With solar for example you are now exporting it to a provide, who sets the rate for you on a market basis. You still get some payments from UKplc for generating it, but nothing like it once was.

As for the heat pump, I have some friends who had it in a rental for a couple of years. Their experience was that it works by heating the place up slowly and keeping it warm once its there, unlike gas where you get rapid heat via the rads, hence why they are often paired with underfloor heating. Also, with a heat pump the rads tend to not get raging hot, as the efficiency drops off at higher output temps so drying washing on/above them is less viable.

Finally, I would be looking to research when the heat pump was installed, the make and mode and, as DG says, details of the pipe run. The technology has come on a lot in recent years so the age of the setup could make a big difference to its efficiency (and what you get in government payments).  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2020, 06:19:20 »

Is the wuzel becoming an eco- Vegetablist's, next he'll be driving a milk float, and wearing woad,, and heaven forbid reading the Guardian :D
Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2020, 10:14:28 »

The Guardian! Yes of course all the green info I need will be there.  Thanks BG!  :y

I was just wondering if anyone here had any actual experience of these things, as I once saw an article about a woman who'd been sold an expensive air source heat system that apparently didn't work.  ::)  She lived in the Outer Hebrides or somewhere like that!  :-X  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2020, 11:13:13 »

Geology and local conditions are both significant factors.

I suspect that there are a lot of badly designedand installed systems, I recall about ten years ago that there was a period when everyone and their dog was flogging and installing systems, if only to access the grants...

If the company that produce the system and the company that installed it both still exist, then that would give some reassurance  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2020, 12:19:03 »

my bungalow has a mitsibushi system. personally i,m not keen. in 2yrs the unit has packed in & had to be replaced. the couple of times that its has broken down iv,e had to wait a fair while to get it sorted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.