Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A week has passed  (Read 1867 times)

danzigfan

• Omega Knight
  • Jesenice, Slovenia
    • Omega 2.5V6, 3.0V6
    • View Profile
A week has passed
« on: 30 December 2018, 07:49:03 »

A week has passed since I started to disassemble my omega due to cambelt change. Last night I put her back together with a help of a  friend mechanic, who kindly provided me his ""work" car for that time - Honda 1.6 VTI, which almost killed me a few times :-X....FWD just isn't for me ;D
It's just shocking to realize how smooth and comfortable it is to drive an Omega again. I love this car.
We replaced cambelt, all tensioners, aux belt, oil cooler which was leaking, cam covers for aluminum ones, oil, etc....
She's as good as new, no leaks or anything wrong with her for now, I'm happy with the result.
It really means much, when you can work on your own car with a mechanic and he's listening to some advices on how to do things - from this forum guides.
I can't imagine how the work would be done if I just took Omega to dealer's garage and tell them to do this and that....I believe omega would came back full of radiator seal liquid and belts freshly wiped aux belt followed by huge
bill for "all the work they did" :-X They're all the same
Well she 's done, drives like a dream and I plan to keep her for at least 5 years.
Thank you for all your help guys :y
I would rather push omega than drive renault

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: A week has passed
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2018, 10:24:44 »

In the UK, where Omegas are worthless, there is not another car that comes near it for comfort and ride for under £10-15k.

The v6 has a short cambelt service interval, and the breathers are often problematic, leading to premature cam cover gasket leaks. But otherwise, the engine seems robust and trouble free.  In the UK, the rust is what generally kills them.

Happy motoring :y
Grumpy old man

danzigfan

• Omega Knight
  • Jesenice, Slovenia
    • Omega 2.5V6, 3.0V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2018, 12:47:40 »

You wouldn't get more than 500€ for an immaculate omega here, so worthless they are. But after driving Honda for a week, Omega felt like a water bed....it really is a nice ride. People who know me don't get why I keep driving Omegas. I don't care. They grow up on you, that's it. And breathers were clean as a whistle, accept for small holes in the "ecotec"  plastic on top of the plenum.
I would rather push omega than drive renault

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2018, 23:22:49 »

In the UK, where Omegas are worthless, there is not another car that comes near it for comfort and ride for under £10-15k.

The v6 has a short cambelt service interval, and the breathers are often problematic, leading to premature cam cover gasket leaks. But otherwise, the engine seems robust and trouble free.  In the UK, the rust is what generally kills them.

Happy motoring :y

**In true OOF style, que massive thread deviation**

I had been musing on this recently. Over the next 3yrs, when I really won't have time to maintain a car, the EV will do me fine (if it ever arrives) and the Tonka Toy should work for moving building waste.

However, in the long term, buying a "decent" omega (there's currently a black elite on AT at £1300 that would fit the bill) and spending maybe £2k on it doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Sure it's arguably"money wasted" but for a total spend of say £4k (or £5k with LPG), you could have bodywork and underbody corrosion sorted and rust proofed, engine fettled, suspension sorted etc.

You'd have a pretty stonking daily driver. Time, as always would be the issue I reckon.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2018, 23:31:04 »

I'm tempted this summer to refresh 3.2's suspension, I'd probably take it all to Serek & SOS Automotive. Get them to fit it all in a few hours, as I also lack time these days.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2018, 00:38:32 »

Im not saying how much I paid for mine, but Ive spent around two grand on it since I bought it two and a half years ago.Much of this was just to bring it up to the required standard as it was at the point where it would start falling apart if it didnt get some tlc.
The main improvement has been suspension - standard spec springs on the rear (as oppossed to Elite spec) plod springs and dampers at the front with Monaro top mounts, plus refurbed GM wishbones with polybushes.
Although Im a bit of a miss daisy driver these days, it still feels very safe and planted on the road.
I will never get this money back, but when did anyone ever get all the money back they spent on a car - classics aside.
I didnt plan on keeping this car for long, but now I dont want to part with it.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2018, 00:43:32 »

Im not saying how much I paid for mine, but Ive spent around two grand on it since I bought it two and a half years ago.Much of this was just to bring it up to the required standard as it was at the point where it would start falling apart if it didnt get some tlc.
The main improvement has been suspension - standard spec springs on the rear (as oppossed to Elite spec) plod springs and dampers at the front with Monaro top mounts, plus refurbed GM wishbones with polybushes.
Although Im a bit of a miss daisy driver these days, it still feels very safe and planted on the road.
I will never get this money back, but when did anyone ever get all the money back they spent on a car - classics aside.
I didnt plan on keeping this car for long, but now I dont want to break it.
Fixed ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2018, 00:55:54 »

suspension - standard spec springs on the rear (as oppossed to Elite spec) plod springs and dampers at the front with Monaro top mounts, plus refurbed GM wishbones with polybushes.

What's the difference between elite and standard? Also, what advantage the monaro mounts, surely significantly more costly items?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2018, 02:26:06 »

Elite springs are slightly softer, compliment the self levelling to give a slightly softer ride. Replacing them with standard or Plod springs gives better, less wallowy feel when pressing on and still work well with self levelling shocks...

Monaro HD top mounts are about the same price as Meyle, £35 each iirc:y
« Last Edit: 31 December 2018, 02:28:35 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.