Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starter motor on a 2.0 16V  (Read 1423 times)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
Starter motor on a 2.0 16V
« on: 04 July 2018, 23:14:47 »

What cretin created the space that that fits into . >:(
Starter motors are " normally " easy to access , the two bolts are but I defy you to get to the electrical connections without severing your hand and then fitting it up with a couple of remote controlled servo motors .

Since putting the car back on the road after six months lay up I noticed a momentarily clatter when starting on a couple of occasions. Frightening noise that sounded like it had thrown a rod......
I've removed the drive belt ,checked all the pulleys driven off it and tried it with and without but it has only happened a couple of times and I couldn't get it to reoccur .
I fitted a new timing belt kit and water pump 1K miles ago and checked it all again and all is well. Engine is smooth with no untoward noises.
After much head scratching I found this on U tube which sounds exactly like the noise only mine lasted a second longer .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYdurhynAEo
So , this morning I thinks to myself , " lets get the starter off and check it " .
FFS what's that all about  :'( I gave up trying to get to the electrical connections and just lub'd the SOB in situ . I think the RH engine mount will have to be removed to gain good access to the elect. conns.
Used the car  this afternoon but the jury is still out as to the problem being located and solved.
Grrrr.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Starter motor on a 2.0 16V
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2018, 23:16:50 »

Try replacing the starter on a Smart Roadster.  ::) It took me about 5 hours to remove the old starter & the same to fit the new one.  ???

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2018, 00:02:49 »

Whilst, with some ingenuity I could probably remove the two bolts holding the starter on the A Class... I very much doubt that it could be removed without dropping the engine :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2018, 07:37:22 »

Whilst, with some ingenuity I could probably remove the two bolts holding the starter on the A Class... I very much doubt that it could be removed without dropping the engine :D

That is how it's done.

It's also Renault's procedure for the cambelt on a V6 Laguna/Espace/Avantime/clit, and Land Rover's for changing the thermostat on a TD4 Freelander!

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2018, 09:37:00 »

That is how it's done.

It's also Renault's procedure for the cambelt on a V6 Laguna/Espace/Avantime/clit, and Land Rover's for changing the thermostat on a TD4 Freelander!
And, of course, you would trust the grease monkey at your average dealership to drop the engine out and put it back correctly, wouldn't you?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2018, 10:04:05 »

That is how it's done.

And, of course, you would trust the grease monkey at your average dealership to drop the engine out and put it back correctly, wouldn't you?
some main dealers could do it right ,but the bill would be painful , and you could throw the car back at them  till they sorted it if they balls it up  .
I'm sure some back street garages provide an excellent and economical service ,and are quite capable.
i'm also sure some big ,well known brand chain garage provide rubbish service  ;D or not

and on line reviews can be manipulated to make places sound great ,when they are far from it
so ,word of mouth from people you know and lots of research would be in order
or , get the spanners out ,and if it goes tits up ,you know who to blame  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2018, 10:51:18 »

That is how it's done.

That's the official procedure for the cambelt; it can be done with the car on axle stands and the the engine in place, which saves 2/3 of the labour time.

The Freelander thermostat can be done by dropping the engine, after you've unplugged and moved a load of the engine wiring. And done a lot of swearing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.