Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Are some big earners totally stupid ?  (Read 2913 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Are some big earners totally stupid ?
« on: 01 February 2021, 12:01:18 »

Read several articles recently about celebrities who are crying poverty because of Covid, the latest being Cheryl Baker who at 66 years of age says she is broke still has a mortgage and has to survive on her pensions of £950 a month , do none of them save or use a good financial adviser , one of her fans is apparently setting up a fund so folk can contribute to help her out anyone on here want to chip in ?😂😂😂
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Are some big earners totally stupid ?
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2021, 12:53:06 »

Who has a mortgage at 66? How long before people get totally sick of go fund me and the like, esp when it's abused, as I consider this appeal is.
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2021, 13:06:53 »

Who has a mortgage at 66? How long before people get totally sick of go fund me and the like, esp when it's abused, as I consider this appeal is.

Some people do.

25 year mortgages were common. Now there are mortgages available for longer periods of time. Forty years, I hear.

Also....in 2021 the average first time buyer is now 83.  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2021, 13:22:00 »

Most will allow mortgages upto 80 :o I believe that this is a side effect of the whole interest only and savings plan clusterfick.

Ownership is still cheaper than renting, and until that changes, long term mortgages will remain a thing.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2021, 13:39:29 »

Most will allow mortgages upto 80 :o I believe that this is a side effect of the whole interest only and savings plan clusterfick.

Ownership is still cheaper than renting, and until that changes, long term mortgages will remain a thing.

Much cheaper.

Let's assume you first pay rent or take out a 25 year mortgage at age 25. Lets also assume you live to eighty.

By age 50 you will be mortgage free and have the value of the property to play with. By comparison you will pay rent for 55 years and own sweet f*uck all. :)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2021, 13:48:19 »

At 66 with dwindling employment opportunities , even sans Covid , if she has any equity in her 1 million pounds property she should sell up , down size and wise up.
" £250/month  private pension ...." , I got a cheque for twice that this morning for a one I was in for four years .
Celebrity is a heavy and expensive burden to carry ....

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2021, 13:49:34 »

The problem is how do you save the 10% deposit (which could be £25-50K for a one bedroom squat in the smoke) whilst still being able to afford Sky TV, the latest iPhone 12 and 2 holidays abroad per year?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2021, 13:54:53 »

The problem is how do you save the 10% deposit (which could be £25-50K for a one bedroom squat in the smoke) whilst still being able to afford Sky TV, the latest iPhone 12 and 2 holidays abroad per year?
You've answered your own question.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2021, 13:59:00 »

Much cheaper.

Let's assume you first pay rent or take out a 25 year mortgage at age 25. Lets also assume you live to eighty.

By age 50 you will be mortgage free and have the value of the property to play with. By comparison you will pay rent for 55 years and own sweet f*uck all. :)

That was my mother's father: for various reasons, he wouldn't borrow money. So he rented their house in Crawley from the moment it was finished, and they were both buried from there. Even with his share of his parent's estate he wouldn't borrow the extra 1/3 to buy the house. Instead he bought the only car he owned, and shared the rest around the four children, who all told him they preferred  he buy the house.

My dad's father was the exact opposite(in lots of ways); as soon as the wartime damage was repaired in 1948 he arranged a mortgage through his union(fixed 3% rate over fifteen years :o ) and bought the place. It was paid off well before he retired. My aunt still lives there.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2021, 14:16:00 »

The problem is how do you save the 10% deposit (which could be £25-50K for a one bedroom squat in the smoke) whilst still being able to afford Sky TV, the latest iPhone 12 and 2 holidays abroad rent of £25,000 per year?

Fixed that for ya.  ::) :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2021, 14:20:17 »

You've answered your own question.

I was fortunate that 100% mortgages were freely available.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2021, 16:00:11 »

Got our first mortgage in 1974 £9,450 for a brand new flat costing £10,850 moved five years later to a brand new house costing £19,995 sold that in 1987 for £89,995, by which time my grandmother had died and left me a substantial amount of cash moved to Norfolk and bought two properties for cash and invested in several more over the years ( buy to let all sold now) so I was completely mortgage free by 33 years of age. It isn't rocket science to handle cash successfully it's plain old common sense & a little bit of luck.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2021, 16:05:38 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2021, 16:05:49 »

Got our first mortgage in 1974 £9,450 for a brand new flat costing £10,850 moved five years later to a brand new house costing £19,995 sold that in 1987 for £89,995, by which time by grandmother had died and left me a substantial amount of cash moved to Norfolk and bought two properties for cash and invested in several more over the years ( buy to let all sold now) so I was completely mortgage free by 33 years of age. It isn't rocket science to handle cash successfully it's plain old common sense & a little bit of luck.

That is impressive.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2021, 16:42:25 »

A family member, currently 61, was looking to get a mortgage, as now all the kids have flown the nest, they felt it was time to upsize  :-\
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2021, 16:46:47 »

Got our first mortgage in 1974 £9,450 for a brand new flat costing £10,850 moved five years later to a brand new house costing £19,995 sold that in 1987 for £89,995, by which time my grandmother had died and left me a substantial amount of cash moved to Norfolk and bought two properties for cash and invested in several more over the years ( buy to let all sold now) so I was completely mortgage free by 33 years of age. It isn't rocket science to handle cash successfully it's plain old common sense & a little bit of luck.
Ah, but having family help financially made that possible.

I feel pretty proud to go from essentially homeless in my late teens to a completely debt free homeowner before I reached 50, without any help.

But then I've driven an Omega for the past 20 yrs, and make do with an iPhone 6.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.