Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Shares  (Read 6554 times)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
Shares
« on: 11 February 2021, 14:25:55 »

Anybody into them on here at the moment.... Argo blockchain seem to be looking good.
Laying a rubber road.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Shares
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2021, 14:33:07 »

Sold my Maggie Thatcher blessed British Gas shares decades ago, and since then none!! ::) ::)

But, with all that I buy from Sainsbury's and Argos I should get some in them! ;D ;D ;)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2021, 15:46:55 »

Not anymore had some years ago & did well out of them cashed every penny in when our daughter got married, now just ISAs & premium bonds.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2021, 15:56:21 »

Mrs B works for ASDA and their saving scheme is shares based .... we/she have virtually doubled the amount paid in a few times. Time will tell as to whether there is chance to buy any more ....

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2021, 16:15:39 »

I don't own any individual shares, but I do hold lots of them indirectly in the form of OEIC in my pension and SSISA.

Single company shares are very high risk. It's classic all your eggs in one basket stuff. I think it was Bradford and Bingley members that were wiped out when they went belly up. Many of the share holders were employees in their company share scheme. Lloyds shares were similar - they weren't wiped out but their value was diluted enormously by the issue of new shares during the financial crash.

That's not to say you shouldn't join a company run share scheme. They're often very good, and a great way of saving for your future. However, you MUST be aware of the risks, and many IFA's will advise you to sell the shares/options as soon as possible, and re-invest the money in something else to make your overall portfolio a lot less risky. That might mean buying shares in other companies, or investing in unit trusts or OEIC's.

Basically it's about spreading your money evenly around a number of assets in a range of markets. For shares, that often means one tobacco company, one oil/gas company, one Utility company, one Supermarket, one Pharma company, one large manufacturer etc. That way if any one market, or any one company hits trouble you don't lose all your money.

It can be as risky as gambling if you get it wrong, but if you research it thoroughly enough you can make the risk/reward balance work in your favor.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2021, 17:06:57 »

Got a few Lloyds, plus share options from the company I work for. Dabble in others from time to time, after consulting Daughter for advice.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2021, 17:20:34 »

Mm, some good comments there thanks, I’ve also been looking at Mgc  they have just come on to the London stock exchange,  the first here in cannabis medicine.
Laying a rubber road.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2021, 17:47:27 »

Mm, some good comments there thanks, I’ve also been looking at Mgc  they have just come on to the London stock exchange,  the first here in cannabis medicine.
surely you can invest in wacky backy in Welsh Wales Rae and not have to travel to London to buy some  :D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2021, 17:52:15 »

Them were the days :o
Laying a rubber road.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2021, 01:33:10 »

The Gamestop affair last week was pretty cool where a bunch of retail traders collaborating on Reddit pushed the price of the shares from about $20 up to nearly $500 in days, before it fell back to about $50 equally quickly!  :o  8)

Fortunes were made and lost.  Wall Street hedge funds who were shorting the stock were allegedly taken for about $70 billion, and reportedly one canny retail trader turned about $50,000 into $22 million in days!  :y

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2021, 12:32:22 »

There was a twenty two yearish old caller to the Dave Ramsey Show.

He had managed to turn about $2,000 into enough to pay off his modest student loan and some 8)

He ducked out at about $450 a share because he knew it wouldn't last.

https://youtu.be/caA5rdGAFe0
« Last Edit: 12 February 2021, 12:46:07 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2021, 12:36:16 »

A hell of a lot of amateur investors lost their shirts. Serves them right, it might be fun to cost a hedge fund a fortune, but people's pensions are invested with them.
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2021, 15:16:47 »

A hell of a lot of amateur investors lost their shirts. Serves them right, it might be fun to cost a hedge fund a fortune, but people's pensions are invested with them.

I've no problem with amateur/private investors loosing their shirts in this. Short selling is institutionalised gambling. If you play with Great White Sharks then sooner or late one of them is gong to bite your arm off. Managed UK pension funds should not be invested with companies that gamble more than a tiny amount of their clients money like that. The pensions regulator would come down on them like a ton of bricks.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2021, 00:57:50 »

Anybody into them on here at the moment.... Argo blockchain seem to be looking good.

Never really been a share buyer or trader, although I have had some as a result of windfall type shares in demutualised companies.

However, last I year I became aware of the stock market dropping and in particular that J D Wetherspoon had halved in price. With interest rates at zilch, I went for it and bought some via Hargreave Lansdown. I then looked at others, looked at what the share price had been, what it was at the time, and whether I felt that the company would survive and thrive. At present I have shares in 13 companies, I hasten to add that total cost is not vast. I am not simply interested in if the share price goes up or down, equally interested in the possibility of dividends etc. So, medium - long term.

Some shares have been amazing in particular Reach(.62p up to to £3). Some just pretty good, Nat West, Wetherspoons, Carrs. Others ok-ish Marstons, N Brown, Aston Martin (It is lovely to say you have shares in AML). And others are quite recent so way too early to tell. At present I'm showing about £2,800 gain before tax on total spend just over £5k. I do not have these in a stocks & shares ISA. My wife is deeply suspicious of all this, sees it as just plain gambling. I try very hard to be sensible, but I am a bit cross that I did not invest quite a lot more.

I avoid trendy investments. As they say, if it sounds too good to be true . .

I don't see myself as a seasoned or experienced investor, but so far so good. Besides, I'm retired and in lockdown it gives me something to do.

« Last Edit: 13 February 2021, 01:00:40 by Mister Rog »
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2021, 15:48:52 »

I am into a share, Never done this before But i jumped in nearly a year ago now.

https://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChat.asp?ShareTicker=SNG&share=Synairgen

These have just started there phase 3 trials and the USA have took them on board to do there final trials all over the world.

It is a drug that is so badly needed here to stop all these deaths, But this government seem to think the vaccine will do the job.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.