Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Shares  (Read 6478 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Shares
« Reply #15 on: 13 February 2021, 15:49:07 »

Anybody into them on here at the moment.... Argo blockchain seem to be looking good.

Never really been a share buyer or trader, although I have had some as a result of windfall type shares in demutualised companies.

However, last I year I became aware of the stock market dropping and in particular that J D Wetherspoon had halved in price. With interest rates at zilch, I went for it and bought some via Hargreave Lansdown. I then looked at others, looked at what the share price had been, what it was at the time, and whether I felt that the company would survive and thrive. At present I have shares in 13 companies, I hasten to add that total cost is not vast. I am not simply interested in if the share price goes up or down, equally interested in the possibility of dividends etc. So, medium - long term.

Some shares have been amazing in particular Reach(.62p up to to £3). Some just pretty good, Nat West, Wetherspoons, Carrs. Others ok-ish Marstons, N Brown, Aston Martin (It is lovely to say you have shares in AML). And others are quite recent so way too early to tell. At present I'm showing about £2,800 gain before tax on total spend just over £5k. I do not have these in a stocks & shares ISA. My wife is deeply suspicious of all this, sees it as just plain gambling. I try very hard to be sensible, but I am a bit cross that I did not invest quite a lot more.

I avoid trendy investments. As they say, if it sounds too good to be true . .

I don't see myself as a seasoned or experienced investor, but so far so good. Besides, I'm retired and in lockdown it gives me something to do.

Get them in a SSISA pronto. That absolves you of any tax implications. However, you'll need to do some research into which is the cheapest SSISA provider. I doubt it's HL - I left them 6 or 7 years ago because they were waaaaayyyyy too expensive.

You don't have any CGT liability at present - even if you sold them all today for a £2800 profit that's well within your annual CGT allowance of £12300 this year. However, if their value increases significantly in the medium to long term CGT could become an issue when you go to sell them.

Also dividends above your allowance (£2000 p/a) outside an ISA count as income, so have to be declared on your tax return and you could end up paying tax on them.

Inside an SSISA there is no CGT or dividend tax.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 February 2021, 16:07:57 »

Was introduced to Fidelity through a company pension and have found them to be pretty decent. Did look at HL but found them to be rather pushy.

Don’t have any investments outside of my SIPP, but any dividends that aren't reinvested automatically go into a cash pot that I use to cover the fees, which are typically £11 a month. Annual growth across five mutual funds is currently a smidge under 20%.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 February 2021, 17:48:14 »

Gone up to 139. 14 they were 123.00 when I posted However they have gone nuts 45% in America. I will be investing a few bob on Monday as apparently once they go over 2.00 there it’s very good news.
Laying a rubber road.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 February 2021, 17:50:12 »

Just to say I know very little about shares.
Laying a rubber road.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 February 2021, 18:16:08 »

Platform costs depend on what your holdings are (Individual Shares, ETF's, OEIC's, Unit Trusts etc), how there are held (Unwrapped, SSISA, Pension), the total value of your funds, and how much you trade/churn/buy/sell per week/month/year. So there is no single answer that applies to everyone. I do remember there was a niche where HL could work out cheapest, but I can't remember what that niche was - all I knew is it didn't work for me. I transferred to Interactive Investor, but I don't hold any individual shares so they may not be cheapest for anyone else.

There is a spreadsheet run by "Snowman" over on the MoneySavingExpert website/forum. It allows you to enter everything you hold, and it shows you what the current charges are for a multitude of Platforms. There will be differences often running into hundreds of pounds per year between the providers.

Just be aware that sometimes things are cheapest for a reason. HL do have a reputation for good customer support and a flashy modern website, whereas II is very much a DYOR and DIY platform with a clunky old website. Clunky old works for me. I drive an Omega :-)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 February 2021, 18:19:12 »

Gone up to 139. 14 they were 123.00 when I posted However they have gone nuts 45% in America. I will be investing a few bob on Monday as apparently once they go over 2.00 there it’s very good news.

Careful. Buy the troughs and sell the peaks.  You're verging on day trading territory, which is gambling not investing. You should be thinking about what the value might be in 5 or 10 years time, not tomorrow!

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 February 2021, 20:39:26 »

Thank you
Laying a rubber road.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 February 2021, 00:27:03 »

Careful. Buy the troughs and sell the peaks.  You're verging on day trading territory, which is gambling not investing. You should be thinking about what the value might be in 5 or 10 years time, not tomorrow!

Sort of agree. I have yet to sell any shares. All are bought with a long term view. But, it's great when one sees a short term jump. I have also had dividends and free share issues in addition to simple share price increases. Others have commented on tax implications. I do take these on board.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 February 2021, 04:28:59 »

Sold my Maggie Thatcher blessed British Gas shares decades ago, and since then none!! ::) ::)

But, with all that I buy from Sainsbury's and Argos I should get some in them! ;D ;D ;)

That never works.  I thought, that I needed to diversify my SIPP portfolio, so after i had a really good custoner ecperience taking out 2 Mortgages with virgin money plc, i thought, id buy into banking.  Yeah. Ive lost on that.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 February 2021, 11:23:34 »

Were you asleep in 2008/9?

The retail banking industry is a failing business model...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 February 2021, 13:54:38 »

We were bought basic shares from BT by my Mother after Pops passed away, Dividends were good and paid out Bi-Anually IIRC.

Sold mine to start building PC's for mates which at the time I think upset Mum as she thought we would keep them forever.
 ::)
as a result of the money I made I bought a shed loads of BT shares in bits and bats and sat on them for quite a while, For the dabble that I had with them I did quite nicely. :-X

The 1000 share I bought inMarconi well thats a different story. . . . :-\
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 February 2021, 14:02:42 »

Anyone own any Bitcoin?  ???

Imagine being in the position where you can quietly increase your holdings in an asset over a few months and then when you have enough, you announce to the world that you own lets say $1.5 billion of that asset and watch the price soar!  8)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 February 2021, 14:50:08 »

Anyone own any Bitcoin? 

Cant get my head round how it all works :-[
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 February 2021, 15:01:50 »

Anyone own any Bitcoin? 

+1
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 February 2021, 15:04:04 »

Anyone own any Bitcoin? 

+1
I like my pound coins to be worth a pound, not £3.50 one day and 65p the next.
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.