Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2001 3.2 Elite Saloon Facelift  (Read 3809 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
2001 3.2 Elite Saloon Facelift
« on: 03 June 2016, 14:51:05 »

KM51 VSY

Vauxhall Omega 3.2 Elite Saloon
11 Months MOT
6 Months Tax, although I believe this is non transferrable
104,000 miles, but in daily use by my other half so may climb slightly

I purchased this Omega in January 2016 as a project. It had been sat for approximately two years, due to the previous owner (mistakenly) believing the head gaskets had failed.

I got the car home and went to work on it. It soon became apparant that the head gasket failure was, in fact, a failed oil cooler - as is usually the case with evidence of oil in the header tank.

Between February and April 2016, and between 102,000 and 104,000 miles, I have carried out the following work, personally.

- Oil Cooler kit (stainless)
- New coolant bridge doughty washers (Genuine GM)
- New Heater Bypass Valve (Genuine GM)
- New Spark plugs (Gen GM) x 6
- New Genuine GM cam cover gaskets and O rings (Both banks)
- New Timing Belt KIT (Contitech)
- New exhaust system and rubbers from the cats back
- New Tyres x 4, at around 102,000 miles!!! So essentially all four are still brand new.
- New front brake discs and pads (Euro car parts) at 102,500 miles
- New Auxiliary drive belt and tensioner wheel
- New Thermostat and link pipe
- New GM red coolant.
- New Wiper Blades

Other points to note

- Compressions are brilliant (200psi+) on all cylinders
- Spin on oil filter conversion done
- Crank sensor is Gen GM and has only covered about 5,000 miles.

- Oil changes carried out after the first 250 miles, next 250 miles, and then 500 miles thereafter. I did this in the hope of making it all really clean, as the original oil was quite thick. All with Genuine GM oil.

- Usual 3.2 refinements. Satnav is fully working, as is the BOSE system, and rear blind.

- V5c logbok in my name.

- I'm currently struggling to locate the receipts for the parts I bought to do the above work. I am however an extremely honest person, having been on the Omega Forums since 2006. I wouldn't say I'd done it, if I hadn't. Work on the basis they are not there, however I will keep looking.

- For the tyre Guru's out there, to avoid disappointment they are not an expensive brand. They are however perfectly safe and legal. They handle well with no apparent loss of grip or tramlining whatsoever. (The previous continental tyres, tramline'd like nobody's business).

The bodywork is, in my opinion, as good as you'll find for an Omega of this age. There is some non-structural rust appearing at the very bottoms of the arches as per the pictures. Nipped in the bud now, I'm assured this wouldn't cause a problem.

Paintwork is generally very good. The pictures below were taken a few hours after a simple hand wash and hoover by the folk in my local pub car park. I've no doubt someone enthusiastic with a polisher and wheel cleaner could make her look amazing.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 3.2 Elite Saloon Facelift
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2016, 14:51:47 »

There are couple of points requiring attention, these are -

- Although tyres and brakes are new, and she drives straight and true with no wobbles etc, there is a small (but noticible) vagueness under braking from speed. Sometimes I feel like it pulls to the offside a little, and sometimes I feel it's just vague. When I had a look at the time, one of the front wishbone bushes felt a fair bit softer than the other. My gut feeling is, that this will be the culprit.

- The electric window switch on the passenger door has broken off.

- There are two keys, (maybe even three) however the buttons on them don't all work. Eg, on one key, it'll open the boot and not the doors, and vice versa. I think Martin Imber repairs these if he's still around for £10 a key.

- There is a problem with the windscreen washer bottle. When I tested the car prior to MOT, the washers worked, however during the test, they didn't. The pump made noise, but no fluid came out. I concluded it was the pump, so changed it, only for the same issue to be present. I removed the pump again and noticed a load of thick white nasty sludge (it was like soggy rubber glove) coming out of the washer bottle. I have tried to flush this out as much as I can, but in honesty I would rather just change the washer bottle, because you don't want them to fail in lane 3 of a motorway for example. The rubber seal where the pump goes into the bottle has also been lost, so it leaks washer fluid like a goodun.

- Bonnet release system needs adjusting. It requires someone to press it down - it then opens with ease.

- Brand new spare tyre in the boot.

- Carpets and doorcards could do with cleaning (over mats supplied) - but otherwise the interior is fresh and clean. Has NOT been smoked in.
A few marks on the wheels and generally a few small marks I'm sure I've missed. In Summary a lovely, lovely 3.2 Elite, wanting for nothing other than a pair of wishbones and the washers sorting out.

For a 3.2 Elite with all the toys working, in this condition, with all the new parts (and tyres) I feel £1600 would be a more than fair price. However, in light of the items that are required, I am asking for £1300.

This is not your usual rubbish on eBay hiding numerous issues.

The reason I have not changed the wishbones and done the remaining little jobs is because my health has been seriously affected as a result of a recent head on collison (not in this Omega!!!) and as such, I am going to be unable to work on cars for, at minimum, several months, if not longer.

Test drives more than welcome with fully comprehensive insurance, and no obligation viewings are more than welcome, you might even get a coffee and some biscuits!

We are also awaiting delivery of a brand new Honda CRV which is another reason for sale.

Before and after - both front Mats now look like the cleaner one, after a little trip in my washing machine!!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2016, 14:55:54 »

NOTE - Picture two shows a mark on the bottom of the passenger door - this is NOT the case, as picture one will confirm. I believe it was a bit of dirt on my camera lens.

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2016, 15:01:28 »

Thats cleaned up bloody well since the time I saw it. Credit to you mate :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2016, 06:54:40 »

CRV arrives Saturday, I am therefore open to negotiation on the price of this, as I need the space :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2016, 13:18:27 »

I listed this at £1300 with an expectation of achieving approx £1100.

A few have suggested this was rather optimistic. As such, I've listed her on a well known auction site, 1p start, no reserve. So she will go for whatever the buyer is prepared to pay :y :y

I am also having the washers sorted prior to sale :y :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2016, 19:55:51 »

Admins, please can you close? Car sold for a very fair price within three hours of being on eBay, and has now been driven away :y

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2016, 20:11:10 »

well done...it was a nice car.. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 June 2016, 21:24:23 »

Good stuff!!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.