Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal door skins; Refit or Renew ?  (Read 2007 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Internal door skins; Refit or Renew ?
« on: 18 July 2006, 16:29:03 »

Hey All

In preperation for removing, repairing and refitting my MV6 driver door lock i decided to pull the CDX door card apart first of all. Better to make my mistakes on a stripper  ;) ;D :P

Stripping the door card to gain access to the inner gubbings is a doddle ( must check if we have a how to on pre facelift and if not ....)

Anyway what got me was the sheet of protective film over the door and that you really cant get access to anything else inside without removing this.
So question - does this go back on securely ( i have my doubts) or am i best to buy a new one?

Also i could not help but notice that the window regulator/ motors etc are not bolted on as they are on the cars i normally work on ( a 10mm socket removes just about everything on a Rover  :o)

Can anyone advise what "special tool" i would require to remove the regulator from the inside of the doors?

Thanks All
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Internal door skins; Refit or Renew ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2006, 16:46:54 »

Hey All

In preperation for removing, repairing and refitting my MV6 driver door lock i decided to pull the CDX door card apart first of all. Better to make my mistakes on a stripper  ;) ;D :P

Stripping the door card to gain access to the inner gubbings is a doddle ( must check if we have a how to on pre facelift and if not ....)

Anyway what got me was the sheet of protective film over the door and that you really cant get access to anything else inside without removing this.
So question - does this go back on securely ( i have my doubts) or am i best to buy a new one?

Also i could not help but notice that the window regulator/ motors etc are not bolted on as they are on the cars i normally work on ( a 10mm socket removes just about everything on a Rover  :o)

Can anyone advise what "special tool" i would require to remove the regulator from the inside of the doors?

Thanks All

Hi markiec

I think the window regulator are held in with rivets, not sure what the best tool to use is.

With regards the door plastic inner lining if your careful to remove you can get from B&Q I think its Bostik spray glue and it works with pretty much anything.

HTH

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2006, 17:00:06 »

Often the plastic covers will simply stick back on the existing glue but, failing that, any form of adhesive will do the job including silicon.

The window regulator is riveted in place with 6 rivets which you will have to drill the heads off (not difficult).

Bolts/nuts are not ideal for fixing these items as it has to be mechanicaly tight and not able to work loose.......its not uncommon to get a clunk from Rover window mechansims though.....
« Last Edit: 18 July 2006, 17:00:32 by Mark »

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2006, 17:06:58 »

Bolts/nuts are not ideal for fixing these items as it has to be mechanicaly tight and not able to work loose.......its not uncommon to get a clunk from Rover window mechansims though.....

I sometimes get a clunk from my drivers door one :-/

Elsheepo

• Swindon, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2006, 17:08:08 »

I don't know how much truth is in this but according to a few people that I spoke to when I was doing a similar strip-down on my drivers door, the 'plastic film' is actually quite imporant as it forms a pressure barrier which is required for correct operation of the side airbag sensors.  It does indeed come off and go back on usually without too much hassle but if it does break or the glue has seen better days, advice is to either replace with a new one or ensure you get some proper sealer/glus to re-form the barrier.
Check out my blog - http://www.mikesouthby.co.uk

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2006, 17:10:31 »

thats exactly the word i as looking for rivet, i hate drilling, maybe as i have chronic toothache right now but i guess its gotta be  :(

thanks for the input folks  :)

MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2006, 17:14:02 »

...oh and another reason why Rover went to the wall!! shortcuts and crappy gaskets!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2006, 17:16:04 »

I don't know how much truth is in this but according to a few people that I spoke to when I was doing a similar strip-down on my drivers door, the 'plastic film' is actually quite imporant as it forms a pressure barrier which is required for correct operation of the side airbag sensors.  It does indeed come off and go back on usually without too much hassle but if it does break or the glue has seen better days, advice is to either replace with a new one or ensure you get some proper sealer/glus to re-form the barrier.
Yes, cars with 4 airbag config have pressure sensors in doors, and the inner flim needs to be reasonably sealed for it to work. Also, same reason why disconnecting battery to disable airbags are a good idea....
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.