Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What oil for my car?  (Read 3351 times)

Sir_Mixalot

What oil for my car?
« on: 17 July 2006, 00:50:57 »

Gonna do an oil change on my car in the next few days.  Its a 1997 2.5 117k.  Did it before with the cheapest semi-synth 15w40...will speading more on a fully synthetic oil be worth it?  I heard that on older cars with high mileages fully synthetic can be bad.  I do have a noisy tappet and am hoping some fresh oil will help lube it silent.

Thanks in advance.

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
Re: What oil for my car?
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2006, 01:31:12 »

Gonna do an oil change on my car in the next few days.  Its a 1997 2.5 117k.  Did it before with the cheapest semi-synth 15w40...will speading more on a fully synthetic oil be worth it?  I heard that on older cars with high mileages fully synthetic can be bad.  I do have a noisy tappet and am hoping some fresh oil will help lube it silent.

Thanks in advance.

The semi-synth is not 15w40 but 10w40. Synthetic would be better and you won't get any problems. The reputation of the synthetic oils causing leaks is coming from the very early days of synthetics. There is a good FAQ which can help you. If you want my personal opinion whatever you do don't go for thinner than 10w40.

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2006, 06:39:36 »

Noticed the last time in the motor shop they now do an oil for older higher mileage cars, I don't know what the difference is though?

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2006, 08:08:54 »

hee hee this will go on and on this thread, lots of differences of opinion on what oil to use.
Personally vx own brand semi.....
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2006, 08:12:17 »

Oh no, the oil thread has begun!  ;D

Ok, oil for "higher mileage" cars will simply have a higher base viscosity to allow for engine wear.

Now, having done some more investigation, and reading on this, I would say you would be best getting a good 10w/40 semi synthetic for your car.
In fact I would say ring your local dealer and see how much he will do a box (4x5l) of their semi synth for. You may be pleasantly suprised. :)

Good stuff and buying a box is the most cost effective method. :)
« Last Edit: 17 July 2006, 08:13:01 by admin »
The Administrator.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2006, 08:12:45 »

The MOST important thing is to have frequent oil changes (every 3,000 to 5,000 mile). This is far more important than the actual choice of oil.

Having said that, make sure you have the right viscosity, and prefer brand-name oil to cheap oil.

Both semi-synth and full-synth are fine.

The recommended oil for your car is Vauxhall’s own-brand semi-synth 10W-40. Vauxhalls oil is low-cost (especially when bought through Trade Club), and, if changed frequently as suggested above, will keep you engine going for ever.... or very near that :)
Alas, no more Omegas....

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2006, 14:07:11 »

Recently saw on ebay 4 x 5l oil and I think it went for about £40 inc p&p to UK mainland. Sorry I missed it but thought p&p to NI might be extortionate for such an item. Local dealer quoted £18.44 for 5l and a further £3 ish for the extra litre. Wouldn't do larger quantity, ie 4 x 5l.
gutted  [smiley=sad.gif]

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2006, 17:03:44 »

Recently saw on ebay 4 x 5l oil and I think it went for about £40 inc p&p to UK mainland. Sorry I missed it but thought p&p to NI might be extortionate for such an item. Local dealer quoted £18.44 for 5l and a further £3 ish for the extra litre. Wouldn't do larger quantity, ie 4 x 5l.
gutted  [smiley=sad.gif]

Trouble is the prices you were told are more than likely retail where as trade is that much cheaper its better to buy in bulk, unfortunately I dont have a trade card either so I dont get the benefit like others who have do.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2006, 18:11:25 »

it is possible to get trade club discount (for personal use only) if you join a club who are members of VBOA (vauxhall bedford opel association), if you do then the Vx prices become much more appealing.

I recently bought a 4-pack (buy 3, get 1 free) of 5l 10W40 GM semi-synth, cost £27.92 inc. VAT which works out to £6.98 each ... rubber sump plug rings at 20p each, the paper oil filter elements are £3.53 each.

Most of the clubs charge around £15 membership fee, so the chances are you'd recoup that pretty quickly.

As an example of the price difference (all +VAT) :

5l Oil - retail £17.15, trade club £7.92
Oil filter element (for canister type) - retail £4.54. trade club £3.00
Fuel filter - retail £12.50, trade club £5.16

Sir_Mixalot

« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2006, 00:41:54 »

Right so branded semi-synth 10w40 - Thanks alot, well get on this ASAP.

Any ideas on how to get on the Trade Club (i.e. best club to join)? Where do I go to and how long will it be before i can start getting my discout   ;)?

Cheers.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #10 on: 18 July 2006, 06:44:08 »

I dont have a trade club card.....but i just ask for trade price.....my local vx dealer parts dept doesnt seem to have a prob with this and gives it to me.

Its not as much discount as trade club discount.....but it helps

Cheers

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 July 2006, 10:47:00 »

it is possible to get trade club discount (for personal use only) if you join a club who are members of VBOA (vauxhall bedford opel association), if you do then the Vx prices become much more appealing.

I recently bought a 4-pack (buy 3, get 1 free) of 5l 10W40 GM semi-synth, cost £27.92 inc. VAT which works out to £6.98 each ... rubber sump plug rings at 20p each, the paper oil filter elements are £3.53 each.

Most of the clubs charge around £15 membership fee, so the chances are you'd recoup that pretty quickly.

As an example of the price difference (all +VAT) :

5l Oil - retail £17.15, trade club £7.92
Oil filter element (for canister type) - retail £4.54. trade club £3.00
Fuel filter - retail £12.50, trade club £5.16

How do you go about joining the VBOA (vauxhall bedford opel association) be good if Trade club prices are part of the package.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 July 2006, 14:08:53 »

gutted  [smiley=sad.gif]

Jonny, I am over in NI from 11th to 15th Sept.
If you can find your way over to Ballymena then I will go with you to the local Vx dealership and sort out oil (and anything else) with trade club (I have semi-permanent ownership of Marks card!)
The Administrator.

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2006, 16:12:19 »

That would be extremely generous, you're an absolute star!
I'll keep in touch.
Cheers
 [smiley=happy.gif]

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 July 2006, 20:02:24 »

How do you go about joining the VBOA (vauxhall bedford opel association) be good if Trade club prices are part of the package.
join a club which is a member of VBOA, the list is here: http://www.vboa.org.uk/toplevel.php?p=d

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 July 2006, 20:09:48 »

Not sure if tradeclub is reconised by Opel dealers....  ...all the tradeclub branding is Vauxhall...
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.