Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: The Europe 2010 trip. ** A tip**  (Read 4033 times)

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
Re: The Europe 2010 trip. ** A tip**
« on: 05 January 2010, 23:48:32 »

Regarding the proposed Europe trip to Brugge this year.
Ferry wise..take a look at Norfolk Line, Dover to Dunkerque.

Crossing is slightly longer than Dover-Calais BUT its generally cheaper, the Ferries are nicer PLUS Dunkerque is a lot closer to Brugge, saving fuel..about 45 mins/1 hour away.

Means more cruising and boozing (for the non-drivers of course).
Calais can be very busy to get in and out of..Dunkerque is a doddle...well it is now that they've sign posted the terminal properly.
« Last Edit: 06 January 2010, 11:24:58 by duggs »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2010, 00:01:24 »

Regarding the proposed Europe trip to Brugge this year.
Ferry wise..take a look at Norfolk Line, Dover to Dunkerque.

Crossing is slightly longer than Dover-Calais BUT its generally cheaper, the Ferries are nicer PLUS Dunkerque is a lot closer to Brugge, savinf fuel..about 45 mins/1 hour away.

Means more cruising and boozing (for the non-drivers of course).
Calais can be very busy to get in and out of..Dunkerque is a doddle...well it is now that they've sign posted the terminal properly.

We use NL every time... Unfortunately they've got new ships now with more facilities, unlike when they were predominantly freight, so are getting busier and slightly more expensive. Still cheaper than the others though :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2010, 08:07:00 »

Dunkerque and Calais are virtually next door to each other, so either makes little difference in reality :)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2010, 09:50:02 »

done the Ferry to Dunkerque, its a lot longer than Calais, and as mentioned they are next door to either other, few minutes at 80mph and you reached it. Also not a lot around the Dunkerque area, more booze super stores around Calais, and it has that big shopping centre

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2010, 10:18:48 »

done the Ferry to Dunkerque, its a lot longer than Calais, and as mentioned they are next door to either other, few minutes at 80mph and you reached it. Also not a lot around the Dunkerque area, more booze super stores around Calais, and it has that big shopping centre
Booze around Calias **WAY** too expensive.  Go to local supermarkets around Lille etc, on way back from Brugge
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2010, 10:20:24 »

Booze around Calias **WAY** too expensive.  Go to local supermarkets around Lille etc, on way back from Brugge
And Shitty Europe. Well, may as well be in a UK shopping centre. Very expensive, very English.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2010, 10:25:34 »

And Shitty Europe. Well, may as well be in a UK shopping centre. Very expensive, very English.

Very Crap!

Go to any supermarket not in the port area TBH :y :y

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2010, 11:32:06 »

I'm T-total so booze isn't a consideration for me...I just like Dover-Dunkerque because I think its simpler,  less stressfull and saves money in terms of crossing and fuel.

That said, Dunkerque itself is a bit of a dump from what I've briefly seen....although Calais isn't exactly on my priority list for places to "vacation in" either.

Brugge, we love...especially visiting the sites at which "In Brugge" was filmed with Colin Farrell.
Sat in the same seat as he did last year in front of the statue thing....and followed the end chase sceen..How sad am I ??

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2010, 11:49:03 »

I'm T-total so booze isn't a consideration for me...I just like Dover-Dunkerque because I think its simpler,  less stressfull and saves money in terms of crossing and fuel.

That said, Dunkerque itself is a bit of a dump from what I've briefly seen....although Calais isn't exactly on my priority list for places to "vacation in" either.

Brugge, we love...especially visiting the sites at which "In Brugge" was filmed with Colin Farrell.
Sat in the same seat as he did last year in front of the statue thing....and followed the end chase sceen..How sad am I ??
Dunkerque is a shithole, as is Calais.  But I fail to see what is less stressful about one as opposed to the other.  I'd say Calais is going to be significantly faster, due to shorter crossing time, and Dunkerque can't be more than 10-15m from Calais port (right side of Calais).  Obviously, if its significantly cheaper....

My own preference would be the tunnel, as despite being wrong side of Calais (but right side of Dover by a fair way), its about quarter of the time.  Obviously many others can't use it due to size and LPG restrictions.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2010, 12:53:33 »

Dunkerque is a shithole, as is Calais.  But I fail to see what is less stressful about one as opposed to the other.  I'd say Calais is going to be significantly faster, due to shorter crossing time, and Dunkerque can't be more than 10-15m from Calais port (right side of Calais).  Obviously, if its significantly cheaper....

My own preference would be the tunnel, as despite being wrong side of Calais (but right side of Dover by a fair way), its about quarter of the time.  Obviously many others can't use it due to size and LPG restrictions.

Tunnel's out for me but I prefer the ferry for the chance to stretch and have a walk as I do 95% of the driving (100% with the Pikey wagon) and Dover-Dunkerque has a special meaning to us as I proposed on the ferry, at sunset, coming into Dunkerque ::) ::)

That said, I may well have the new car by then and might not have gotten around to LPGing it :-/ :-/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2010, 13:55:56 »

Tunnel's out for me but I prefer the ferry for the chance to stretch and have a walk as I do 95% of the driving (100% with the Pikey wagon) and Dover-Dunkerque has a special meaning to us as I proposed on the ferry, at sunset, coming into Dunkerque ::) ::)

That said, I may well have the new car by then and might not have gotten around to LPGing it :-/ :-/
Tunnel is out for a lot of people - no pikeys and no LPG. I like their style.

Oh, and some people are scared of the tunnel.
Grumpy old man

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2010, 14:18:33 »

Just an idea.... it's further from Brugge than Dunkerque, but what about Harwich-Hoek of Holland on the overnight?

It goes at 2345hrs (so all could go after work) and gets in at 0700 so you could get to Brugge 9ish.
You have a cabin on ferry for about £23 which would be cheaper than another night in a Belgian hotel.

Then go back Dunkerque-Dover?

Just an idea-makes it more interesting?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2010, 15:16:04 »

Just an idea.... it's further from Brugge than Dunkerque, but what about Harwich-Hoek of Holland on the overnight?

It goes at 2345hrs (so all could go after work) and gets in at 0700 so you could get to Brugge 9ish.
You have a cabin on ferry for about £23 which would be cheaper than another night in a Belgian hotel.

Good idea, in theory, but the crossing's normally too expensive ;) ;)

It's only about £40 return on Norfolk Line normally :y :y :y

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2010, 15:22:51 »

Good idea, in theory, but the crossing's normally too expensive ;) ;)

It's only about £40 return on Norfolk Line normally :y :y :y

Just a thought-we looked at all and Dover Dunkerque was £40 as you say, but Harwich-Hoek was £95 on a few days, using the google searched discount codes... we paid £230 inc 2 cabins both ways at Christmas...

Best thing is that you go overnight which frees the next day up!

We're going again in June, not sure which route  :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2010, 22:01:49 »

Foot passenger from Rosyth then either thumbing for a lift at Zeebrugge or a bus into Brugge for me...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.