Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

And again - I think I may have killed it this time..

(1/8) > >>

LC0112G:
Driving home tonight after work, and suddenly a loud banging from the rear started. I initially thought either the exhaust mounts had broken, and it was hitting the underside of the car, or the diff mounts had gone and it was banging on the sub-frame. No point in stopping coz no chance of fixing anything at the side of the road. Every speed bump and pothole makes a frightening racket.

Got home and looked in the boot and the cause immediately apparent. Nearside rear shock has punched through the top of the turret. I think I know the answer, but is there any viable repair?

No time to look at it now - I'm supposed to be going to the USA for two weeks tomorrow so I guess I won't be going to Heathrow in the Omega. If someone could magic up some repair panels whilst I'm away....

tunnie:
I think Terry had this, no real cost effective option and he scrapped his.

What age/mileage is yours?

LC0112G:

--- Quote from: tunnie on 16 September 2019, 22:09:00 ---I think Terry had this, no real cost effective option and he scrapped his.

What age/mileage is yours?

--- End quote ---

Yes I remember someone here had the same issue. I think the only suggestion was to salvage some turret tops from a good scrapyard car - if one can be found.

2001 Y reg. 260K miles IIRC. Will see whet the local body shops say when I get back. Was hoping to go skiing again in it in December - Got snow tyres on a spare set of rims. It'll be cheaper to throw a few hundred quid at this to fix it than to buy a spare set of rims and snow tyres for a new car.

Things like this always happen when I've got no time to do anything about it. I suppose it's a blessing it wasn't on the way to the airport at silly o'clock tomorrow.

tunnie:
Recall you can't simply plasma cut this out and weld new sections in, due to being key area for suspension.

Depends how badly it's gone through?  :-\

Andy B:

--- Quote from: LC0112G on 16 September 2019, 22:16:48 ---  ....

I think the only suggestion was to salvage some turret tops from a good scrapyard car - if one can be found. ....

--- End quote ---

Would they have to come off another Omega? Maybe another car has a similar set up in the boot area that could donate a suitable turret top  :-\ :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version