Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

fitting control arms on 1995 omega estate.

(1/3) > >>

addy:
The wifes car has wear on the inner edge of both front wheels. I am led to believe it means the bushes on the control arms are shot.  When I come to replace them, hopefully using the original arms, with new bushes either Poly if possible to get for both bushes needed, or normal lemforder ones. When refitting the arms, it says in the HOW2 that they must be tightened with the car level on the ground. The wifes car has not been lowered, so would I be able to get under to tighten bolts, with it on ground or would putting all four wheels on blocks to keep it level be better? Sorry for all the questions, want to prep everything before starting the job. Understand then a full Geometry setup is needed. Do Wheels In Motion, still have franchises over the country? If there was one near Darlington would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Addy

Enceladus:
You'd be better off with the use of a pit. Try the friends, relatives and neighbors. Some peoples garages had them as standard, even if they never got used.

The reason is you need to get enough access to swing a 1/2" breaker bar and a torque wrench. Very restricted just lifting the car on blocks. That said estates are a bit higher than saloons. Or else get the bolts as tight as you can and get the car properly aligned immediately, ask the shop to loosen and then fully tighten the bolts with the car on the ramp, before they start adjusting the camber and toe-in.

addy:
Thanks for reply. Just wandered. Got a electronic torque and angle attachment for a ratchet. So that is why I wandered if blocking it would be enough height, using a normal size breaker bar.

The torque attachment is similar to this one, they are a great piece of kit. :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarke-PRO238-Drive-Digital-Torque-Adaptor-1700638/303220818523?epid=1066925132&hash=item46995e825b:g:Gi0AAOSwPX1dJzyk

Thanks again
Addy

terry paget:
All my Omegas wore their front tyres on the inside edges, I reckon it's a consequence of the Mcpherson strut front suspension with rubber front horizontal pivots and rubber rear vertical pivots. System works well enough, is silent, and cheap. Replacing the front pivots with nylon stiffens that end, then replacing the rear pivots with nylon stiffens it so much the wishbones break.

It's obviously desirable to righten the front bushes in the middle of suspension travel so that the rubber flexes in both directions during service. This means tightening the bolts with the front of the car on its wheels, tricky.

BazaJT:
AIUI the weight of the car needs to be on the wheels,but the car doesn't necessarily need to be level fore/aft,so running it onto a pair of ramps would do just as well?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version