Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 'professional drivers' .....  (Read 15373 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: 'professional drivers' .....
« Reply #45 on: 21 August 2020, 19:47:30 »

...  Sadly, you'll find yourself in this position time and time again.  Your actions contriubted to the situation.... simply moving forward at 2mph faster or slower and the chances of this occurance are almost nil. ....

Never had a problem at this speed, indicated or actual. Have you looked at the junction? He'd decided he was going passed me as we left the M1 but didn't have the speed as we went up hill over the motorway ..... am I supposed to be psychic?

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 21 August 2020, 19:49:05 »

Thats the Clevedon/Nailsea exit on the M5.

Long stretch of steep downhill from Avonmouth.  I'd estimate, if the 60MPH is accurate he is doing a nudge over 80.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 21 August 2020, 19:50:59 »

That needs handing over to a Traffic Commissioner.

As the Driver and Operator and Transport Manager all need to be called in to explain themselves.

Nothing more to say, but unless his brakes failed and he's running downhill fully loaded, there's no legitimate reason for that.

Apologies if that's not the argument you wanted, but that's pretty mucb indefensible  ;)

My opinion as well, just didn't expect such quick agreement !!

It went to the police who were extremely interested, but couldn't use it as evidence due to the date/time error, there was also quite a bit more as he went past me 4 times in all, he was very slow uphill and very fast downhill..... ... I was informed in a follow up call that the "inspectors" had shown great interest and had "intercepted" the vehicle.... and the company was being prosecuted for "illegal modifications, failing to keep adequate records, and operating at excessive weights" .. the driver being done for "falsifying of tachometer records, overweight driving.... so something was done at least.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 21 August 2020, 19:54:10 »

...  Sadly, you'll find yourself in this position time and time again.  Your actions contriubted to the situation.... simply moving forward at 2mph faster or slower and the chances of this occurance are almost nil. ....

Never had a problem at this speed, indicated or actual. Have you looked at the junction? He'd decided he was going passed me as we left the M1 but didn't have the speed as we went up hill over the motorway ..... am I supposed to be psychic?

Andy, I'm not going to repeat myself over and over.  He isn't psychic either.  He was probably pissed off that you were holding him up. 

I get paid from my door, to my door.  If I've got nothing to do of an evening, on my way home, I'll sit in lane 1 at 62mph (indicated) which is 59mph on SatNav (iphone WAZE).  I wouldn't consider anything less, as the HGV's get mightily pissed off.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 21 August 2020, 20:03:17 »

As some folk seem to try and justify the way HGV drivers are seen to behave .. could they please, somehow, justify this appalling driving ??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlgxq14ar569zjo/M5%20HGV.avi?dl=0

Note, there is a slight glitch between the sections at the end of the first minute, which is shown for context. Please ignore the date/time as the dashcam satnav had a timing fault (now fixed)...speed readout is correct however.... this was back in June, filmed from the Audi

I await comments with some interest ......

Get out the dam way, coming by.
 Bet if that was a Lambo or other penis extender, you wouldnt bother, or be saying how nice it sounded, but being a big smelly truck,  how dare he come by me... And yes I would :).. Just as well you've never driven the A75 when the boats tipping out...
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 21 August 2020, 20:09:18 »

Fundamentally Andy, yes. I would suggest a read of the two HC rules I pointed out.  ;)

The point that's trying to be made, and irrespective of right or wrong as that's been clearly established, is that upon noticing the left indicator you should have taken deliberate steps to pull ahead in order to minimise the chance of being punted off the motorway. Fortunately, he looked before moving over, otherwise you would be both squished and correct.

In order to drive defensively you need to anticipate other peoples 'misjudgements' and be prepared to mitigate them.

In that situation, I would have accelerated slightly to get ahead of a potential problem and possibly been prepared to head towards Hull if the situation had escalated.

If that's not something you were prepared to do, then perhaps you need to consider why not... If the positions had been reversed but same vehicles, what would you have done? Be honest with yourself as you answer that...

If someone else choses to be an arse that's on them, but if the response is to also be an arse because you are technically correct, then that's all on you. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 21 August 2020, 20:10:56 »

Nige, I meant to say that the police really couldn't care less unless you reported whilst it was happening, but the Traffic Commissioners have teeth and aren't scared to use them, as appears to be the case here :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 21 August 2020, 20:13:19 »

As some folk seem to try and justify the way HGV drivers are seen to behave .. could they please, somehow, justify this appalling driving ??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlgxq14ar569zjo/M5%20HGV.avi?dl=0

Note, there is a slight glitch between the sections at the end of the first minute, which is shown for context. Please ignore the date/time as the dashcam satnav had a timing fault (now fixed)...speed readout is correct however.... this was back in June, filmed from the Audi

I await comments with some interest ......

Get out the dam way, coming by.
 Bet if that was a Lambo or other penis extender, you wouldnt bother, or be saying how nice it sounded, but being a big smelly truck,  how dare he come by me... And yes I would :).. Just as well you've never driven the A75 when the boats tipping out...

It's just that that thing has got rather more kinetic energy (= potential to wipe innocent people out) when it all goes wrong than a lightweight sports car, hence the reduced speed limit that applies, the speed limiter, the extra driver licensing requirements, tachograph, etc. etc. which the genius behind the wheel decided didn't apply to him. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 21 August 2020, 20:19:11 »

Indeed, and that's why the legal outcome seems to be pretty comprehensive  ;)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 21 August 2020, 20:22:12 »

It's just that that thing has got rather more kinetic energy (= potential to wipe innocent people out) when it all goes wrong than a lightweight sports car, hence the reduced speed limit that applies, the speed limiter, the extra driver licensing requirements, tachograph, etc. etc. which the genius behind the wheel decided didn't apply to him. ::)

Video quality is pants, but i'd guess it's an owner-driver, not a driver who works for a company with a tranport manager breathing down his neck.

Any driver who displayed 80mph on a tacho would be sacked without question.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 21 August 2020, 20:24:41 »

Video quality is pants, but i'd guess it's an owner-driver, not a driver who works for a company with a tranport manager breathing down his neck.

How little you know
Hoof'land storeman.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 21 August 2020, 20:26:55 »

How little you know

i'm guessing here, but are you suggesting that a transport manager would encourage you to drive beyond your legal obligation 'to get the job done?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 21 August 2020, 20:33:38 »

Actual speed is probably 75 (easily achieved with a bit of weight and a decent downhill stretch) and whilst a modest overspeed infringement isn't a big deal, using lane 3 to do it is, and the investigation has obviously highlighted other offences.

Company disciplinary action depends on the company, but generally, they're more concerned about timekeeping (turning up to work on time) and repeated accidents than the occasional overspeed.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2020, 20:35:21 by Doctor Gollum »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 21 August 2020, 20:35:02 »

How little you know

i'm guessing here, but are you suggesting that a transport manager would encourage you to drive beyond your legal obligation 'to get the job done?

I'm referring to you assumption that speed is on a tachograph Card ... For all to see.  As for speeding it depends on who you work for, lots of variables,   Let's just say, we don't all drive for tossco, or the large multinational plobbers..
Hoof'land storeman.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 21 August 2020, 20:36:42 »

Actual speed is probably 75 (easily achieved with a bit of weight and a decent downhill stretch) and whilst a modest overspeed infringement isn't a big deal, using lane 3 to do it is, and the investigation has obviously highlighted other offences.

Company disciplinary action depends on the company, but generally, they're more concerned about timekeeping (turning up to work on time) and repeated accidents than the occasional overspeed.

Isn't an offence, in any way shape or form... Don't believe what your CPC trainer told you,
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.