Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Jamnav - an amusing story  (Read 3285 times)

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
Jamnav - an amusing story
« on: 30 August 2006, 23:09:40 »

On my recent trip to Cornwall (mentioned in a previous thread) we went in 2 cars, me in my miggie without satnav and my mate in a Beemer 728i with Tom Tom satnav. My mate was following me and before we'd even hit the M25 (which is within 10 miles of our homes) we hit a jam on the A414 whereby a lorry had broken down on the roundabout. So we're communicating on our mobiles and my mate says " I reckon this jam goes all the way to the M25 'cos I heard on the radio there's been an accident near the junction we are joining. I'm gonna get on Tom Tom and get round this - see you in Cornwall". So he shoots off down some road and I get past the broken down lorry and all is clear to the M25 and even the M25 itself was fine. I phoned him once I was on the M4 to see where he was and guess what.....his Tom Tom had taken him round in a big circle and he ended up re-joining the traffic jam we were first stuck in!! ;D ;D About 5 hours later he ended up arriving in St Agnes after we'd been in the pub for nearly 2 hours [smiley=beer.gif] ;D

Over the weekend he started referring to his Tom Tom as Jamnav which turned out to be quite appropriate. When we left Cornwall, he left 2 hours before me and decided to rely on Jamnav again. Using the A30/A303 (as I did) he then heard reports about an accident on the M3 and programmed his Tom Tom to avoid it. To cut a long story short, he ended up arriving home 1 HOUR!! after me, bearing in mind I left 2 hours after him - total return journey time for me:5 hours, for him: 8 HOURS!! :-* ;D ;D ;D His missus and son who were in his car were chewing lumps and vowing never to go with him again. ;D

Now I know satnav has it's uses but think I'll stick to the knowlege in my head and good old maps - jamnav.......PAH!! :D ;D ;D
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Jamnav - an amusing story
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2006, 23:14:55 »

Brill   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wife calls it the Nat Sav.

She gets just as lost with as she did without.......

keep/sell/keep/sell/keep/sell/keep/sell/keep/sell/keep/sell/keep/sell/

plus/minus/plus/minus/plus/minus/plus/minus/plus/minus/plus/minus

;D

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2006, 23:17:36 »

;D ;D

I rarely use my satnav. Where you know the route, it always chooses a worst one than you would. It will get you to your destination (eventually), but I only use it when I am not familiar with the area and for whatever reason can’t use a normal map.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2006, 23:17:52 »

Nice one bob, Like the Jamnav slogan, you might be starting a trend there!!!!!!

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2006, 23:21:22 »

Don't they fit them to Robin reliants   ;);D ;D

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2006, 23:24:25 »

PMSL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2006, 23:27:26 »

Wish they would.......

She likes the Wobin Welliant  ;D ;D

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2006, 23:37:53 »

My SatNav story goes back a couple of years now. I was on my way back to London from the Delphi plant in Suffolk, it was winter and was getting dark fairly early. While trying to leave the town of Sudbury and go onto the A130, the main road was jammed and it was difficult to get on to it. Just when I thought I spotted a gap in front of very slow moving huge lorry carrying a long container, I was nearly ran-over by it as the driver went around me with a loud honk rather than let me cut into the main road – very rude I thought. Then I saw the lorry had a Polish registration plate, and I mumbled to myself some greetings (..not!) aimed at the entire Polish people wherever they are.

I then realised why the hold-up – a police car was blocking the A130 and the traffic was being diverted into a side road, probably due to an accident further down the road.

This was bad news, it was dark, I did not know the area well, had no local map (the Road Atlas does not cover these tiny B roads that go between farms and barns), and the potential was there to be driving in circles all night long. What made things worst was the fact that these roads don’t go in a straight line – you think you are heading in the direction of Halsted, but then the road bends between the vales and the hales and goes off in a completely different direction. And to top it all I was driving behind this huge beast of a lorry, which is something I don’t like doing, and with no hope for an overtake.

What did puzzle me was the Polish guy’s driving style – the lorry practically flew over the narrow road, I had difficulties keeping up! At one point I had to manoeuvre in order to avoid a falling branch that was clipped from a tree, evidence of the fact that this road hasn’t been frequented by lorries for some time…

The mystery grew, because mad driving apart, I could not figure out how does a Polish driver drive so confidentially? He did not even hesitate in junctions, just went through the turns as if he did this route hundreds of times before.

It then struck me – he had SatNav! I hung to his tail for dear life (not an easy task it was, even with the Omega!), and after around 30 minutes of rally driving we joined the A130 further down.

If it wasn’t for the Polish lorry, I would probably be circling the area until dawn…
« Last Edit: 30 August 2006, 23:41:50 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2006, 00:01:56 »

My SatNav story goes back a couple of years now. I was on my way back to London from the Delphi plant in Suffolk, it was winter and was getting dark fairly early. While trying to leave the town of Sudbury and go onto the A130, the main road was jammed and it was difficult to get on to it. Just when I thought I spotted a gap in front of very slow moving huge lorry carrying a long container, I was nearly ran-over by it as the driver went around me with a loud honk rather than let me cut into the main road – very rude I thought. Then I saw the lorry had a Polish registration plate, and I mumbled to myself some greetings (..not!) aimed at the entire Polish people wherever they are.

I then realised why the hold-up – a police car was blocking the A130 and the traffic was being diverted into a side road, probably due to an accident further down the road.

This was bad news, it was dark, I did not know the area well, had no local map (the Road Atlas does not cover these tiny B roads that go between farms and barns), and the potential was there to be driving in circles all night long. What made things worst was the fact that these roads don’t go in a straight line – you think you are heading in the direction of Halsted, but then the road bends between the vales and the hales and goes off in a completely different direction. And to top it all I was driving behind this huge beast of a lorry, which is something I don’t like doing, and with no hope for an overtake.

What did puzzle me was the Polish guy’s driving style – the lorry practically flew over the narrow road, I had difficulties keeping up! At one point I had to manoeuvre in order to avoid a falling branch that was clipped from a tree, evidence of the fact that this road hasn’t been frequented by lorries for some time…

The mystery grew, because mad driving apart, I could not figure out how does a Polish driver drive so confidentially? He did not even hesitate in junctions, just went through the turns as if he did this route hundreds of times before.

It then struck me – he had SatNav! I hung to his tail for dear life (not an easy task it was, even with the Omega!), and after around 30 minutes of rally driving we joined the A130 further down.

If it wasn’t for the Polish lorry, I would probably be circling the area until dawn…

Good story Mark.....a lorry with rallynav eh!! 8-) ;D

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2006, 09:26:24 »

It was in the news recently that there's a 'fford', <sp?> somewhere in the west country that's notorious for people getting stuck up to their wheelarches in fast running water. It used to be useable, but through years of use, it's only passable by chelsea tractor or larger. Anyway TomTom's seem to still consider it as a viable route and keep sending drivers through it. The local farmer's getting sick of having to tow people out using his tractor!!

On an aside, I've been considering acquiring one for a while 'cos  I potentially drive long distances in unfamiliar territory, but SWMBO has told me it would be a complete waste of money as I never get lost!!! Anyhoo, I've invested £35 in Autoroute 2006 and hooked it up to a GPS locator and that seems to work quite well on my laptop. Think ViaMichelin might've been a better bet though!!
If I have to explain you won't understand!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2006, 09:39:19 »

Can't speak much for other systems, as never used them for more than a couple of days, but on Tomtom, I consider myself an expert. I use it daily, and understand all its little annoyances, and when it comes to avoiding a part of a route, its not simple 'avoid roadblock 1m', but rather telling it to avoid certain roads (or parts of roads, sometimes by fooling it with additional on route stops to break up roads into smaller sections).
Grumpy old man

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2006, 09:46:26 »

I use the tomtom all the time and its saved me loads of money on petrol. I generally work in a different school every day and I just type in the post code and off I go but I have noticed a few things wrong. Last weekend me and the brother in law and our wives took our caravans down to Bridgnorth for a three day drinkfest. I went on the AA web site just to check the route and it was approx 63 miles when I typed the post code in the tomtom and asked for the fastest route it was 86 miles now I cant see on a short journey like that how adding 23 miles can be the fastest. A months ago I was working in a small school in the north west of County Durham and asked the tomtom for the shortest route to the M6 what a mistake it took me down some of the narrowest lanes I was worried about scratching the sides of the meega it was like green laneing, but I wouldnt be without it.
Retired

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2006, 10:09:27 »

If you take shortest, it really will be shortest, even if road is barely passable - this is the sort of tests that the media set it to when they want to rubbish the systems...

Fastest may add 20+ miles to keep you on motorways/trunk roads...
Grumpy old man

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2006, 10:28:58 »

Tom Tom

Invaluable tool in unfamiliar areas.

Great when house hunting.  Go straight to the door, instead of getting lost in sprawling housing estates.

Fantastic at night on unknown roads, as you can see the shape of the road ahead and what's coming.
And at night, you cannot navigate with a map easily.

Should be used with a touch of common sense.  
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2006, 10:58:38 »

Both good stories but I still prefer to stick with good old fashioned map reading.  :)

Never really tried it but I know of so many people that have been so impressed with the ways it sends as mentioned in circles and sometimes not even where you want to go.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.