Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT failure  (Read 7344 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: MOT failure
« Reply #30 on: 24 March 2019, 15:31:04 »

The flaring tool I have[bought some years ago off flea bay]was a pretty cheap affair,not top of the line or anything special,will do flares on steel,kunifer and copper pipe.I think[others will probably know better]that most flaring tools will do steel pipe.
Thanks. I have discovered that kunifer is a copper nickel (Cu Ni) alloy, stronger than copper and more easy to flair than steel. You say that you can flair steel pipe with a cheap e-bay tool, gives me hope.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 March 2019, 17:45:15 »

Kunifer is my preferred choice for doing any brake pipes on my cars.Any way you can but try your flaring tool on the steel pipe on the car as you've not really got anything to lose if all else fails simply renew pipe front to rear. :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 March 2019, 20:30:17 »

Kunifer is my preferred choice for doing any brake pipes on my cars.Any way you can but try your flaring tool on the steel pipe on the car as you've not really got anything to lose if all else fails simply renew pipe front to rear. :y
Thanks. In the past I used to buy brake pipes made for me by a local factor. Recently he would not do it any more for insurance reasons, but happily let me make up my own, using his kit. I did have a copper brake pipe break once; as Dave the Builder said, copper pipes are nowhere near as strong as steel pipes.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 March 2019, 20:53:40 »

I have previously replaced brake pipes on my classic cars for many years with kunifer, and they have been fine, and are eadier to bend to shape using using the original pipes as a pattern. Plus they don't rust!
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 March 2019, 21:09:57 »

I don't know anywhere around here that sells steel brake pipe, cunifer is what you get. The times I've asked out of curiosity ifthey sell steel, the answer has always been the same: why would you want it?

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25 March 2019, 07:39:50 »

Yes Nick I'd imagine steel pipe is now almost impossible to get hold of[if at all]I can't even recall how long since it is since I used any.Prefer Kunifer over copper as I believe copper can work harden and if not supported correctly can fracture with vibration.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25 March 2019, 09:02:02 »

I have the impression that steel brake pipes are available individually, or once were. And I imagine that on the assembly line steel brake pipes arrive already shaped, and can therefore be manoeuvred into place without much difficulty by men who know how. If so, the old pipe can be similarly removed. Am I deluded?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 25 March 2019, 09:20:16 »

Possibly. Brake lines will go into a bare shell on the production line, most likely, so whether they'll come out easily around engine, gearbox and all the other trimmings is another matter.

Kunifer lines offer no advantage on a production line because, as you say, the steel lines will be pre-shaped and anything to save a few pennies off the cost of each car...

They're a no-brainer for a repair, as said. Just fit a union to join new pipe to old somewhere convenient and make a reapir section.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 March 2019, 17:31:08 »

Possibly. Brake lines will go into a bare shell on the production line, most likely, so whether they'll come out easily around engine, gearbox and all the other trimmings is another matter.

Kunifer lines offer no advantage on a production line because, as you say, the steel lines will be pre-shaped and anything to save a few pennies off the cost of each car...

They're a no-brainer for a repair, as said. Just fit a union to join new pipe to old somewhere convenient and make a reapir section.
Thanks. That appears to confirm that I can flare the steel pipe to allow me to join the new pipe to it, using an e-bay flaring kit. Just collecting data before I decide to scrap this rather nice Omega estate. It needs cill welding, a new cat back exhaust, and a brake pipe.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25 March 2019, 18:00:16 »

worth the time and the spend if your happy with the car  ;)
buy something else and there will probably be jobs need doing anyway
did you not ask the price of getting the garage to do it ?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 25 March 2019, 20:46:06 »

worth the time and the spend if your happy with the car  ;)
buy something else and there will probably be jobs need doing anyway
did you not ask the price of getting the garage to do it ?
Too true. When I bought V828 July 2015 for £259, I found it needed new clutch slave cylinder, cam belt, exhaust, coil pack, plug leads, plugs and rear doors.
I did not ask a price. Last time they failed OE03 for cills they would not quote till they had removed the cill covers, then they charged me £300. Less than my Jaguar owning table tennis playing chum, who was charged £650 for a similar job, as reported elsehere.

I respect Nick W's view, but when I get V828 through its MOT I shall remove the cill covers from X168, then decide.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 28 March 2019, 08:42:08 »

I note all the e-bay flaring kits claim to be able to flare copper and cunifer ppe, but not steel pipe. Are there kits marketed that will flare steel pipe?

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 28 March 2019, 09:23:13 »

try this used one many time and they work well can't do a link but here is the flea bay number 272815053600 :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 28 March 2019, 14:22:07 »

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 28 March 2019, 14:30:40 »

yes that's the one never had a problem with it :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.