Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: V828 MOT Passed!  (Read 5574 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
V828 MOT Passed!
« on: 01 April 2019, 17:10:29 »

2.5 petrol manual estate
Phew, what a relief. 10 advisories, including nearside headlight aim too low, repair immediately; also 4 rusty brake pipes, covered in grease, 2 'suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered  excessive, rear inner (sill)'.

Now I must inspect the sills on Ben's X reg estate and decide whether I deem it worth while replacing the cat back exhaust with new and changing the rusty brake pipe. And what, pray, are the rear chassis legs, which he deemed corroded?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: V828 MOT Passed!
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2019, 17:16:36 »

Well done Terry! :y :y

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2019, 17:44:41 »

Happy days :y :y

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2019, 17:45:23 »

2.5 petrol manual estate
Phew, what a relief. 10 advisories, including nearside headlight aim too low, repair immediately; also 4 rusty brake pipes, covered in grease, 2 'suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered  excessive, rear inner (sill)'.

And what, pray, are the rear chassis legs, which he deemed corroded?

Did you not ask him to clarify before you drove away? I like to be present during my MOT's, albeit in the 'viewing area's, which at my test centre is literally adjacent to the MOT ramp, but this has two benefits in my view 1) the tester can indicate problem areas to you, and 2) you can clarify any work you have recently done (which shows good intent!) and in the case of my classic cars, correct him (politely of course!) with items such as minor play in taper roller bearings in front hubs, and the operation of items such as floor mounted dip switches etc.
You can also see how thorough (or not!) he is and make sure he doesn't jack the Omega up on the diff for example!
« Last Edit: 01 April 2019, 17:47:20 by johnnydog »
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2019, 18:02:23 »

Didn't the tester mark the suspect areas on the car? I've never had to do more than crawl under the car and look for the paint stick marks.

I would never grease brake pipes. Replacing them is cheap and easy and every one that's been marked as suspect has proved to be unacceptably rusted once removed. This is why we have safety inspections!

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2019, 18:15:26 »

congratulations Terry  :)
2.5 petrol manual estate

Now I must inspect the sills on Ben's X reg estate and decide whether I deem it worth while replacing the cat back exhaust with new and changing the rusty brake pipe. And what, pray, are the rear chassis legs, which he deemed corroded?
so did you have that adjusted and then have a re test  :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2019, 18:24:41 »

2.5 petrol manual estate

A better question is why wasn't it adjusted as part of the test?

nellys coupe

• buckinghamshire
    • hyundai coupe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2019, 18:26:38 »

well done mate. :y
coupe rebuild master

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2019, 18:52:27 »

congratulations Terry  :)
2.5 petrol manual estate

No need, it was passed today with that as an advisory. Note it was too low, not too high. I shall change the adjuster in due course, hopefully when I have got the other 2.5 through MOT.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2019, 18:55:48 »

2.5 petrol manual estate

Tester did try, but the adjuster had no effect. When I have time I must change the adjuster, but the other 2.5 takes priority, MOT failed and expiring on the 14th.

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2019, 19:02:19 »

headlamp aim is no longer considered as part of the test only if it is so far out that either you can't see or you blind on coming traffic it is all about where the hot spot is in the headlamp tester cars should no longer fail for height adjustment latest info on the mot testers annual course  :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2019, 19:03:33 »

2.5 petrol manual estate

Because it is against the Vosa rules to adjust during a test
NT must fail the car,and enter the fault on the VTS device, then,  adjust the beam ,then re-test
It has been known for testers (NTs) to adjust headlamp aim during test  :-X
how else would halfords and the like ,survive without charging £20 per side plus to adjust

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 April 2019, 19:05:24 »

2.5 petrol manual estate

Tester did try, but the adjuster had no effect. When I have time I must change the adjuster, but the other 2.5 takes priority, MOT failed and expiring on the 14th.

They're very low geared, and take  lot of turns on the screw to have an effect. Other possibilities are broken adjusters, they've been wound out of the threads, or the plastic gears are loose on the shafts. All of which will require dismantling the lamp.

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 April 2019, 19:16:44 »

2.5 petrol manual estate

Because it is against the Vosa rules to adjust during a test
NT must fail the car,and enter the fault on the VTS device, then,  adjust the beam ,then re-test
It has been known for testers (NTs) to adjust headlamp aim during test  :-X
how else would halfords and the like ,survive without charging £20 per side plus to adjust
adjust at the end of the test and issue a PRS :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 April 2019, 19:50:35 »

Rear chassis rails are just like the front ones...

On the estate, the shocks bolt through them.
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 April 2019, 20:56:25 »

Didn't the tester mark the suspect areas on the car? I've never had to do more than crawl under the car and look for the paint stick marks.

I would never grease brake pipes. Replacing them is cheap and easy and every one that's been marked as suspect has proved to be unacceptably rusted once removed. This is why we have safety inspections!
I have never made a brake pipe, it's time I did. Is this the appropriate kit to make the new pipe and join it to an existing steel pipe?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Held-Brake-Pipe-Flaring-Tool-Din-3-16-Pipes-Copper-Kunifer-Steel-Car-Van/273669772098?hash=item3fb7fd5342:g:7i0AAOSw95FZZyhw
At least the tester merely advised the rusty pipe, rather than the other tester who failed X168 for a similar pipe I had failed to grease. I gather Kunifer is the best pipe to use.
I have only once known a tester mark dodgy areas with paint or tape, years ago. I watched the tester of X168 go round the car, scraping off the underseal from the o/s wheel arch until he found a hint of a hole, then failed the car. This tester has a chatty wife who engaged me in conversation throughout the test, feeding me coffee the while. Eventually the tester joined us, pronouncing that he had managed to pass the car, his main worry being the low headlight beam, which failed to adjust. 'Probably a failed adjuster', I muttered, 'I think I have a spare'.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 April 2019, 23:19:32 »

I have never made a brake pipe, it's time I did. Is this the appropriate kit to make the new pipe and join it to an existing steel pipe?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Held-Brake-Pipe-Flaring-Tool-Din-3-16-Pipes-Copper-Kunifer-Steel-Car-Van/273669772098?hash=item3fb7fd5342:g:7i0AAOSw95FZZyhw
At least the tester merely advised the rusty pipe, rather than the other tester who failed X168 for a similar pipe I had failed to grease. I gather Kunifer is the best pipe to use.

that tool is what you need; it's much better than the bars clamped together that are half the price. You'll struggle to buy anything other than kunifer brake pipe, £15 will buy enough to plumb a small car. Buy a handful of male and female metric fittings, they're only a few pence each. Buy the supplies from a local factor.

Would a quick pipe making tutorial help?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 April 2019, 09:08:10 »

that tool is what you need; it's much better than the bars clamped together that are half the price. You'll struggle to buy anything other than kunifer brake pipe, £15 will buy enough to plumb a small car. Buy a handful of male and female metric fittings, they're only a few pence each. Buy the supplies from a local factor.

Yes please.

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 02 April 2019, 09:56:14 »

Cut pipe.
Deburr pipe.
Bend pipe.
Flare pipe.
Put fitting ...  >:(
Cut end off pipe.
Hope pipe is still long enough.
Put fitting on pipe.
Flare pipe.

:y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 April 2019, 10:29:06 »

Cut pipe.
Deburr pipe.
Bend pipe.
Flare pipe.
Cut end off pipe.
Put fitting on pipe.
Flare pipe.

:D ;D
I spilt my coffee  ;D

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 April 2019, 10:48:25 »

Good news Terry.  :)  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 April 2019, 11:02:11 »

Cut pipe.
Deburr pipe.
Bend pipe.
Flare pipe.
Cut end off pipe.
Put fitting on pipe.
Flare pipe.

Just like putting a plug on a piece of wire, then. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 April 2019, 11:22:37 »

Cut pipe.
Deburr pipe.
Bend pipe.
Flare pipe.
Cut end off pipe.
Put fitting on pipe.
Flare pipe.

Just like putting a plug on a piece of wire, then. ;D
Nope. Never done either of those things...   ::) :-[ :-X

;D ;D ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 April 2019, 12:41:27 »

Good news about the pass :y I've always shaped the new pipe after making it up so you're flaring and fitting the ends with a piece of straight pipe.If you're trying to work out how long a replacement pipe needs to be before removing old one from the car a piece of string can be used for gauging the length.Don't forget to make sure both fittings are on the pipe before making the second flare-not that I've ever forgotten to do this myself of course :-[ :-X

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 April 2019, 14:12:03 »

I try if possible to remove the old pipe in one piece, and use that as a template for the bends in the new pipe.  A third pair of hands is helpful to hold the pipe in the correct orientation whilst you're bending the new piece. If the pipe goes through or under chassis or suspension components, this isn't always possible, and the pipe has to be fitted in situ when one end is first connected before making any bends. For awkward runs, it can be easier to fit a joint using the same flaring method.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 April 2019, 17:01:24 »

I have now removed the sills and the rear wheels. I don't like the look of the right hand rear suspension bracket.

Any comments?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 April 2019, 17:29:33 »

use your fingers and thumbs and your corrosion assessment tool
(the little hammer type, not a 3 foot long crow bar the muppet MOT tester used ::) )
wire brush it all off
check for Edam

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 April 2019, 17:35:50 »

Remove the triangular plate, wire brush the mounting bracket. Report back.

Incidentally, the bolt above is the outer seatbelt lower mounting... Which appears to share the metalwork of the triangular plate mount ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 April 2019, 17:41:14 »

There's certainly surface rust there, but if that's all it is, then it's fine.

(not saying it wouldn't benefit greatly from a  wire brush and a coat of primer then underseal).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 April 2019, 17:46:32 »

The exhaust cat section to central section looks dodgy too. Is this repairable?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 02 April 2019, 17:48:33 »

There's certainly surface rust there, but if that's all it is, then it's fine.

not saying it wouldn't benefit greatly from a  wire brush and a coat of anti climb paint , teach that MOT tester not to poke about  :P
FTFY

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 April 2019, 17:54:23 »

IF it's not blowing then worry about it AFTER the test (should be a pass and advise)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 April 2019, 18:05:17 »

Remove the triangular plate, wire brush the mounting bracket. Report back.

Incidentally, the bolt above is the outer seatbelt lower mounting... Which appears to share the metalwork of the triangular plate mount ;)

This is what a rusty one looks like:

After I had cut back the rot in the floor, door jamb and inner sill, then welded in new metal. This requires moving a numer of trim pieces, sound deadening and wiring so you don't set the car alight.

Looking inside the sill, it was obvious there were several patches along its length that would be MOT failures if the sill cover wasn't in place. I was in a rush when I did this, so didn't mention them. It's why I don't believe in patching sills, as that's actually more work than cutting it off and replacing the entire panel.

The other side was in worse condition by the way.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 April 2019, 18:40:14 »

No. Undo the manifold/cat joints and throw the lot in the recycling (sell the back box if you can easily separate it). If only for your sanity... This lot will be fitted on the time it takes to try and remove those bolts :o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Down-Pipe-Catalytic-Converter-for-Vauxhall-Omega-2-5-04-94-02-01-/323054554212

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Down-Pipe-Catalytic-Converter-for-Vauxhall-Omega-2-5-04-94-02-01-/332544328426

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-B-ESTATE-2-5-168HP-1994-2000-Silencer-Exhaust-System-/150875259003

And call it done.

But start with the loose sill rust as that will possibly be the decider :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 April 2019, 20:33:26 »

No. Undo the manifold/cat joints and throw the lot in the recycling (sell the back box if you can easily separate it). If only for your sanity... This lot will be fitted on the time it takes to try and remove those bolts :o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Down-Pipe-Catalytic-Converter-for-Vauxhall-Omega-2-5-04-94-02-01-/323054554212

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Down-Pipe-Catalytic-Converter-for-Vauxhall-Omega-2-5-04-94-02-01-/332544328426

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-B-ESTATE-2-5-168HP-1994-2000-Silencer-Exhaust-System-/150875259003

And call it done.

But start with the loose sill rust as that will possibly be the decider :y
Thanks Doc, rather what I feared. Will check the loose rust in the morning.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03 April 2019, 10:48:29 »

I have wire brushed the bracket, and it don't look too bad.

However, with heavy heart, I have decided to scrap the car. It cost me £305 5 years ago, now needs a complete new exhaust, serious welding, a brake pipe, just to have a change to pass MOT. I imagine it would fail next year anyway. Son Ben, whose car it is, likes the rattly Astra LIFE I have lent him, so this Omega can go.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03 April 2019, 11:35:22 »

Put another way, spend £300 on it for a years use... That's £6 a week.

And get your kids to buy their own cars :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 03 April 2019, 11:50:29 »

how much welding ? what actually needs doing ?
have you asked the MOT garage for a price to do all the work ?
being a manual ,you'd probably get your £305 you paid back if you sold it rather than scrap it  ;)
if it only requires a few hundred to fix ,that would be cheaper than buying another car,which you will probably have to spend a few hundred to fix anyway

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03 April 2019, 15:17:04 »

how much welding ? what actually needs doing ?
have you asked the MOT garage for a price to do all the work ?
being a manual ,you'd probably get your £305 you paid back if you sold it rather than scrap it  ;)
if it only requires a few hundred to fix ,that would be cheaper than buying another car,which you will probably have to spend a few hundred to fix anyway
Welding required both sides rear wheel arches and sills; complete exhaust, cat sections, central sections, back box, and probably lambda sensors too; new brake pipe rear right required. Then it has to pass emissions test. A lot or work on a car that will probably fail MOT again next year.

You think it might sell? Here it is.

I have the sills. Buyer collects from BA3 2LP, Midsomer Norton, Somerset. MOT expires April 14th 2019.It's a 2.5 petrol manual estate, perfect drive, nothing wrong with it, in MOT submission trim. Offers over scrap value, about £80. At the moment it has a Panasonic radio/tape player/CD player with 12 CD magazine.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03 April 2019, 18:33:54 »

Not worth the nearly £500 in parts, or the timeif you do it all yourself. Certainly not both together.
Weigh it in.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 03 April 2019, 19:07:32 »

put it in the for sale section
£80 is peanuts ,even for scrap collected

such a waste to scrap it

alloys and tyres would get that
lots of people want R25 gearboxes, especially if it comes with everything

ant relative that could list it on ebay Terry ,as a complete car for parts or repair ?

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 03 April 2019, 21:01:20 »

Got £150 for my Desmond at the end of January Terry. After i,d stuffed it into a carpark wall. :-[
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.