Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dimmer for dash flickering  (Read 2232 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
dimmer for dash flickering
« on: 03 April 2018, 10:42:49 »

Oddly enough this happened when giving the car a bit of a tanking, realised it was probably just the Gs doing it, but when you roll the wheel up and down it doesn't dim, just flickers a bit. Guessing need to take light switch unit out and give the pot a dash of WD?

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: dimmer for dash flickering
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2018, 14:11:53 »

Quick squirt with switch cleaner.
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2018, 17:49:12 »

WD wouldn't be a great idea.  Switch cleaner might, but don't get any on the visible front
Grumpy old man

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2018, 07:05:15 »

WD wouldn't be a great idea.  Switch cleaner might, but don't get any on the visible front

How come, not good for modern pots is it? It was an old trick used for dry pots in old radios and the like, seemed to work. just a light scootch though not waterfall wd40!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2018, 17:45:28 »

How come, not good for modern pots is it? It was an old trick used for dry pots in old radios and the like, seemed to work. just a light scootch though not waterfall wd40!
Not really.
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2018, 19:49:33 »

The "carrier" fluid in WD40 is quite a powerful solvent ... spray some on various bits of plastic and see the gungy (is that a word ? :) ) soggy mess that results !!  I guess it would work as a switch cleaner on old-fashioned metal switches stuffed full of bakelite, but modern plastic stuff ?? I won't risk it anywhere ... if you want to disperse moisture .. WD40 is good .. if you want to lubricate something .. use a lubricant designed for the job .. :)

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2018, 22:18:22 »

The dimmer didn't work in my other estate and the instrument lights were permanently bright which never bothered me as such. but one day whilst switching on the lights a load of smoke poured out of the switch with the result that the lights wouldn't work again as there is some short direct to earth somewhere behind the dash. but I'm none the wiser as to where it may be and I resorted to connecting the instrument lights to another circuit (bodge). but it was the quickest time ever for me when it came to disconnecting the battery  :o.

Cheers
Neil.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2018, 21:32:44 »

The dimmer didn't work in my other estate and the instrument lights were permanently bright which never bothered me as such. but one day whilst switching on the lights a load of smoke poured out of the switch with the result that the lights wouldn't work again as there is some short direct to earth somewhere behind the dash. but I'm none the wiser as to where it may be and I resorted to connecting the instrument lights to another circuit (bodge). but it was the quickest time ever for me when it came to disconnecting the battery  :o.

Cheers
Neil.

I can't unread that now lol will keep 10mm spanner in my coin tray  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.