Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The best drill bits for removing bust bolt threads  (Read 3197 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: The best drill bits for removing bust bolt threads
« Reply #15 on: 13 January 2017, 21:52:01 »

the cobalt bits  have a split point and a 135 degree point angle compared to normal 118 degrees.  they require less pressure.  i would always use a cobalt on a bolt but they can snap if abused even a little.

Whats the forum term?  Dangle Berries or something.  A drill bit is a drill bit.  That's all you need to know.

As a twist drill-bit is a complex cutting tool, that's a very rash thing to say. What I think you mean is that using a handheld drill motor to hack out a broken bolt negates a lot of the careful engineering that went into a good quality bit.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2017, 00:30:04 »

the cobalt bits  have a split point and a 135 degree point angle compared to normal 118 degrees.  they require less pressure.  i would always use a cobalt on a bolt but they can snap if abused even a little.

Whats the forum term?  Dangle Berries or something.  A drill bit is a drill bit.  That's all you need to know.

Next we'll be having threads on buying Chrome Vandium spanners.   ::)

you've obviously never used a cobalt drill bit ::)

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 16 January 2017, 11:00:20 »

As a twist drill-bit is a complex cutting tool, that's a very rash thing to say. What I think you mean is that using a handheld drill motor to hack out a broken bolt negates a lot of the careful engineering that went into a good quality bit.

I never gave drills any thought until I started reading & learning about turning (as in lathes, but you knew that already).. when it's a little 1/4" drill spinning a ninety-billionty RPM in a hand held drill it looks very simple, but scale it up to a 1" or bigger drill bit in the tailstock and you stop and think about how it actually works, it's a miracle it ever works at all in that hand held drill ;D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 January 2017, 01:04:30 »

It,s always easier if it,s in either a pillar drill or the tailstock of a lathe. Hand held drilling is always likely to wander off. Well, mine is anyway. ;)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 January 2017, 09:05:42 »

I use a centre drill followed by various sizes working upwards, the key thing is reasonable pressure and make sure it keeps cutting so the metal does not work harden.

For me, I have to say that decent drills are much better, I have a few Dormers which are 10-15 years old and still going strong
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.