Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compression Tester Extension  (Read 1372 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Compression Tester Extension
« on: 13 January 2017, 17:02:21 »

Hi can anyone enlighten me to where I can get the correct extension piece for my compression tester. The end of the compression tester hose has a crimped on threaded section for screwing into plug hole however the grip on it is way too short I can't reach it due to recess for the plug.

It is a Bergen 5254 tool with 14/18mm adapters but I need a longer adapter for the 14mm. Any ideas where to get? I'm a bit confused with sizing as some are saying m14 x 12/10 no idea if this is the male/female threads or what.

This isn't for Omega, one of my other projects in case anyone is wondering.

Thanks

G

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: Compression Tester Extension
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2017, 17:08:03 »

If you fit an extension i beleive it gives a lower reading ?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2017, 17:46:09 »

If you fit an extension I believe it gives a lower reading ?

How would that work?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2017, 21:19:31 »

How would that work?
You measure the peak pressure when the volume of the cylinder has been compressed into the volume left at TDC. If the extension adds volume then it will have the effect of reducing the peak pressure measured.

It doesn't really matter though because the compression test is most use at showing when one or two cylinders are significantly below par (teaching NickW how to suck eggs here).

Finally, if the extension has its own non-return valve then it won't have any effect on the measured pressure.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2017, 21:44:23 »

How would that work?

You measure the peak pressure when the volume of the cylinder has been compressed into the volume left at TDC. If the extension adds volume then it will have the effect of reducing the peak pressure measured.

It doesn't really matter though because the compression test is most use at showing when one or two cylinders are significantly below par (teaching NickW how to suck eggs here).

Finally, if the extension has its own non-return valve then it won't have any effect on the measured pressure.

If you were only measuring one rotation, then I would agree with your first point. But you crank the engine on the starter for a couple of seconds, so there are several(30? 40?) cycles to 'fill up' the gauge. Which is how everyone I've ever used works: it takes a few turns for the reading to reach its maximum number, which is held until you release that pressure in the gauge.

Your second point is the most important here: it's only a comparison for basic diagnostics, not a search for a rigidly defined number. That would require a properly calibrated gauge(which my £20 one certainly isn't, especially after knocking about in a toolbox for 20 years) and a totally repeatable procedure for ALL of the cylinders. A series of leak-down tests over the life of the engine is a better thing to do, as each one gives a better idea of the health of each cylinder and how it's changing. But they require more kit and time to carry out, and are largely unnecessary on anything other than race engines. Or aeroplanes.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2017, 12:55:16 »

The extension doesn't need to be much longer maybe a couple of inches. The problem is I can't get my fingers round the grip on the end of the pipe to tighten it as it disappears into the plug recess so I have to resort to turning the flexi tube, which is not going to give me a tight seal as it is difficult to tighten that way and also puts a lot of strain on the hose to adapter crimped join.

Not seen much else online that I am confident would fit and wouldn't be too long. It's a V6 rear drive ford so the plugs point to each inner wing area; a long extension may cause the extension end to hit bodywork.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2017, 12:57:19 »

If you fit an extension i beleive it gives a lower reading ?

I can see how you are thinking that however all I usually do is crank it until I reach the highest pressure, so with extension it may take another extra "pump" from the piston although as it's non return it will still reach and hold it's peak pressure.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2017, 16:22:14 »

I have had the same gunsons tester for years and use it regularly. Last year when the pipe split and a had to chop two inches off all the readings went up slightly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.