Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Xenon  (Read 2914 times)

miggy

Xenon
« on: 23 May 2008, 19:43:23 »

I am looking at maybe fitting a set of Xenon headlights on the GLS Omega, is it a case of just getting the headlamps or do i need other equipment, there is a set for sale and they come with the looms and connection but it does not mention anything else, surley other items would be needed.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Xenon
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2008, 21:33:25 »

I am looking at maybe fitting a set of Xenon headlights on the GLS Omega, is it a case of just getting the headlamps or do i need other equipment, there is a set for sale and they come with the looms and connection but it does not mention anything else, surley other items would be needed.
To do properly (and legally), you need an automatic levelling system and a headlight washing system.
Grumpy old man

JezInBrum

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
  • Built for comfort not speed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2008, 23:28:19 »

More practicle to fit an aftermarket kit, less messing overall.
I found this company using a google search.
http://www.hids4u.co.uk/store/home.php There others out there so shop about

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2008, 20:09:23 »

More practicle to fit an aftermarket kit, less messing overall.
I found this company using a google search.
http://www.hids4u.co.uk/store/home.php There others out there so shop about
Be aware aftermarket kits are not legal to use on UK roads....
Grumpy old man

mkaminski100

• Basingstoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2008, 11:33:34 »

And you might have a problem on MOT.

JezInBrum

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
  • Built for comfort not speed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2008, 03:50:17 »

Sorry to drag this subject up again. I just had a lightbulb moment. Regarding the legality, I am sure I saw That Edd China bloke fit an after markey set onto a Lexus on that bring a wreck back to life & flog it for a fortune show fronted my Mike Brewer. Or have they put in legislation since that would have been made?

JueV6

• Omega Knight
  • Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2008, 05:20:41 »

I believe xenons are ok but HIDs are still illegal Jezz :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2008, 09:10:43 »

Read the post we have in the FAQ section regarding HID's

To put it in a nut shell, there is no specific legislation which makes it illegal to fit a HID conversion as long as the bulbs are marked with the correct regulatory approvals.

There are specific rules that cover the fiting of HID's in new cars for type approval.

And no, as long as the beam pattern is correct, they will not fail an MOT as there is not specific criteria to check this either.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2008, 09:16:43 »

Please also remember WHY the headlamp washers are fitted ....  and I don't just mean for legal reasons ... :(

HID lights are DIFFERENT .. and they are badly affected by even small amounts of crap on the lenses, far more than normal halogen lights are.

The deterioration in "cast" light is subtle and can easily not be noticed until it is really poor.

I'd hate to think someone had a serious accident simply 'cos they fitted HID's to "look good" and were driving with restricted vision due to simply dirty lenses.

Just my opinion .. thats all   ;) ;)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2008, 10:28:04 »

Please also remember WHY the headlamp washers are fitted ....  and I don't just mean for legal reasons ... :(

HID lights are DIFFERENT .. and they are badly affected by even small amounts of crap on the lenses, far more than normal halogen lights are.

The deterioration in "cast" light is subtle and can easily not be noticed until it is really poor.

I'd hate to think someone had a serious accident simply 'cos they fitted HID's to "look good" and were driving with restricted vision due to simply dirty lenses.

I disagree....HID light is exactly that....light i.e. photons its just generated using a discharge method rather than a incandescent filament.

Its not affected differently at all because photons are photons!

The only thing you might be able to state is that because there is 3 times the light output that any dirt will drop the light by a set percentage so the light drop off will be more noticeable but, you have to loose a lot to get down to the levels of a standard halogen lamp!

The importnat thing is maintaining the correct adjustment for the headlight but, this is trus of those with auto leveling anyway :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 July 2008, 11:25:35 »

I disagree....HID light is exactly that....light i.e. photons its just generated using a discharge method rather than a incandescent filament.

Its not affected differently at all because photons are photons!

The only thing you might be able to state is that because there is 3 times the light output that any dirt will drop the light by a set percentage so the light drop off will be more noticeable but, you have to loose a lot to get down to the levels of a standard halogen lamp!

The importnat thing is maintaining the correct adjustment for the headlight but, this is trus of those with auto leveling anyway :y

AFAIK HID light is from a much narrower spectrum (wavelength), and so is far more prone to "scatter" than halogen light which is from a broader spectrum. As HID lights are more "directed" by the HID lens rather than the headlamp "glass", dirt on the "glass" causes far greater "scatter" and loss of illumination on the road.

Now I'm no expert on this in any way, I'm only repeating what I was told some years back - it's probably all rubbish .. but does make some sense to me   :-/ :-/ :-/ and is, supposedly, the reason the "Construction and Use" regs insist on washers for HID lights.  :question :question
« Last Edit: 18 July 2008, 11:27:39 by entwood »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 July 2008, 11:36:41 »

HID light is actually a wider spectrum of light than incandescent.

And both the Halogen and HID use ball lense type focus setups.

So yes, its all rubbish  :y

Dirt does not tend to cause scatter nearly as much as water does (no surprise) it generally just attenuates the output.

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 July 2008, 18:47:27 »

our local plod have cracked down on these HID kits they are fining all the boy racers £80 and making them have one of them defect notices!

and so they should! you can spot hid kits miles away as they are to bright and dont level properly so blind everyone! causing accidents

also HID lights use some serious current and judging by the guage of cable on my mv6s they could potentially kill

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 July 2008, 18:52:53 »

our local plod have cracked down on these HID kits they are fining all the boy racers £80 and making them have one of them defect notices!

and so they should! you can spot hid kits miles away as they are to bright and dont level properly so blind everyone! causing accidents

also HID lights use some serious current and judging by the guage of cable on my mv6s they could potentially kill

If they are bulbs with the correct approvals then what they are doing wont stand up in court.........

They also use less power (about 35W) but are high voltage so the cable you can see is all insulation with small conductors :y
« Last Edit: 18 July 2008, 18:53:42 by Mark »

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 July 2008, 19:01:07 »

they have this operation called BLACKOUT or summat was in the paper they only just got ANPR  [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

but yep theyre doing it like there doing boy racers for excessive noise they had a write up on it in the local rag about non standard hids cause accidents and dazzle motorists
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 1.675 seconds with 21 queries.