Author Topic: Xenon  (Read 2911 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Xenon
« Reply #15 on: 18 July 2008, 19:23:28 »

they have this operation called BLACKOUT or summat was in the paper they only just got ANPR  [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

but yep theyre doing it like there doing boy racers for excessive noise they had a write up on it in the local rag about non standard hids cause accidents and dazzle motorists

As said, if they have quality bulbs with the correct approvals then they are perfectly legal  :y

As I have said, any poorly adjusted HID, even if factory fitted, will dazzle a motorist the same as a halogen one will.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 July 2008, 14:37:50 »

Please also remember WHY the headlamp washers are fitted ....  and I don't just mean for legal reasons ... :(

HID lights are DIFFERENT .. and they are badly affected by even small amounts of crap on the lenses, far more than normal halogen lights are.

The deterioration in "cast" light is subtle and can easily not be noticed until it is really poor.

I'd hate to think someone had a serious accident simply 'cos they fitted HID's to "look good" and were driving with restricted vision due to simply dirty lenses.

Just my opinion .. thats all   ;) ;)

I disagree....HID light is exactly that....light i.e. photons its just generated using a discharge method rather than a incandescent filament.

Its not affected differently at all because photons are photons!

The only thing you might be able to state is that because there is 3 times the light output that any dirt will drop the light by a set percentage so the light drop off will be more noticeable but, you have to loose a lot to get down to the levels of a standard halogen lamp!

The importnat thing is maintaining the correct adjustment for the headlight but, this is trus of those with auto leveling anyway :y
Sorry Mark, I disagree.  HIDs are adversely affected in my experience.  Having owned both halogen and HID Omegas, my experience confirms this.  Same applies to others where I've driven both types - beemers, LRs, mercs, veccys...

The washing system is there for a reason ;)

Also, your legalities thread implies that any retrofit has to be to same standard as if fitted new....

However, if fitted well, and not set so high/right to be selfishly idiotish, who will ever know?  But defo worth fitting washers as well :y
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 July 2008, 14:39:30 »

they have this operation called BLACKOUT or summat was in the paper they only just got ANPR  [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

but yep theyre doing it like there doing boy racers for excessive noise they had a write up on it in the local rag about non standard hids cause accidents and dazzle motorists

As said, if they have quality bulbs with the correct approvals then they are perfectly legal  :y

As I have said, any poorly adjusted HID, even if factory fitted, will dazzle a motorist the same as a halogen one will.
absolutely, only moreso.  It is a very intense light.  There is a idiot who comes the other way to me between brackly and buckingham with one hid set high and straight...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 July 2008, 14:41:14 »

Reading your other thread, and other links, the lenses have to be approved for HID use.  Whilst I'm sure the lenses are the same, will it still carry that approval?
Grumpy old man

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 July 2008, 17:04:20 »

when i installed hids on  my v6 vectra i done it properly by getting a satin red CDX bumperwith h/l washers and CDX headlights with all the xenon units etc

this was road legal as they were in the eyes of the law standard and the car could of left the factory like that!!!!
« Last Edit: 19 July 2008, 17:04:46 by tmx »

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #20 on: 19 July 2008, 18:34:45 »

I have a part stripped Omega Elite Estate outside with Xenons...doesnt have washer jets not checked for the self levellers yet...I'm wondering if they were retro fitted without the extra gubbins...
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 July 2008, 20:20:05 »

when i installed hids on  my v6 vectra i done it properly by getting a satin red CDX bumperwith h/l washers and CDX headlights with all the xenon units etc

this was road legal as they were in the eyes of the law standard and the car could of left the factory like that!!!!
Needs some kind of auto levelling - not sure if veccys have these...
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 July 2008, 20:34:37 »

Yep, very last Vectra B CDX and GSi's had factory HID's

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 July 2008, 20:40:55 »

yes it does have the auto leveling its the same as my mv6 front and rear but the scrappy never had a rear sensor so i fitted it without a rear sensor works ok!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 July 2008, 21:03:37 »

Yep, very last Vectra B CDX and GSi's had factory HID's
Yeah, I know they came with HIDs, but was thinking os suspension levelling if retrofitting hids
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 July 2008, 22:41:40 »

Please also remember WHY the headlamp washers are fitted ....  and I don't just mean for legal reasons ... :(

HID lights are DIFFERENT .. and they are badly affected by even small amounts of crap on the lenses, far more than normal halogen lights are.

The deterioration in "cast" light is subtle and can easily not be noticed until it is really poor.

I'd hate to think someone had a serious accident simply 'cos they fitted HID's to "look good" and were driving with restricted vision due to simply dirty lenses.

Just my opinion .. thats all   ;) ;)

I disagree....HID light is exactly that....light i.e. photons its just generated using a discharge method rather than a incandescent filament.

Its not affected differently at all because photons are photons!

The only thing you might be able to state is that because there is 3 times the light output that any dirt will drop the light by a set percentage so the light drop off will be more noticeable but, you have to loose a lot to get down to the levels of a standard halogen lamp!

The importnat thing is maintaining the correct adjustment for the headlight but, this is trus of those with auto leveling anyway :y
Sorry Mark, I disagree.  HIDs are adversely affected in my experience.  Having owned both halogen and HID Omegas, my experience confirms this.  Same applies to others where I've driven both types - beemers, LRs, mercs, veccys...

The washing system is there for a reason ;)

Also, your legalities thread implies that any retrofit has to be to same standard as if fitted new....

However, if fitted well, and not set so high/right to be selfishly idiotish, who will ever know?  But defo worth fitting washers as well :y

I have had several cars with HID's

I noticed a huge improvment in light, when driving at night, when the lights were washed....

Soon as the lights where washed there was a huge improvement in light output, HID's seam to affected much more by dirt than Halogens.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.