Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full beam and general electrical issues  (Read 2252 times)

Bertrumage

• Surrey
    • Omega 2.2CDX Auto
    • View Profile
Full beam and general electrical issues
« on: 07 March 2019, 08:24:05 »

Good morning chaps, I have recently brought a 2001 CDX auto 2.2 petrol with 150,000 miles thats been showing some small electrical faults when I drove the car first time at night with the lights on etc.

This only happens with the headlights on, but when I use the indicators they work fine but then sometimes the full beam headlight randomly starts flashing after the indicators self cancel, its really anoying!! It seems to get triggered by drive over bumps etc too. But this problem does not happen at all during the daytime with the headlights off. Leads me to think its the indicator stalk itself perhaps?

Other issues are: General electrical clicking sounds coming from the centre console, sounds like a electrical relay clicking on/off randomly. The sunroof randomly opened by itself, but only once since ive had the car.
None of the radio, CD or tape player works, it turns on and lights up but the buttons do nothing.
Electric mirrors not fully working, feels like the switch is knackard though to be fair.

Other than that car feels really good, engine and gearbox wise its not done bad considering its towed a caravan most of its life. Theres no rust worth worrying about, so im feeling to make this my first omega project, and any help with diagnosing the electrical issues would be great!

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
Re: Full beam and general electrical issues
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2019, 08:55:35 »

Phantom sunroof is a well known thing on the Omega. But fairly easy to fix. There is a guide under maintenance section on her to fox it. Cleaning the switch mechanism. I did this myself on one of my Omegas many years ago and never had an issue since. As for the headlight/indicator issue i would try a new stalk. Easy to swap. Just remove plastic cowling around coloumn and the stalk just clips out. On the mirrors i would also try a new switch. If no obvious damage can be seen on the wiring from door to a-pillar.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2019, 10:19:57 »

Centre console clicking is the brake interlock on the shift lever. Happens every time you press the brake pedal. And is perfectly normal.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Bertrumage

• Surrey
    • Omega 2.2CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2019, 11:37:21 »

Centre console clicking is the brake interlock on the shift lever. Happens every time you press the brake pedal. And is perfectly normal.  :y

Ive just been out for a spin and noticed that, sounds like you've flashed the headlights sorta click, but theres also another noise the only way to discribe it is the sound of a dvd player trying to read a dodgy disc, except ive got the Cd/tuner/tape all switched off because it does not work.

Im not too fussed about the odd click or whatnot I was just curious to wherever it could be contributing towards the full beam/indicator problem.

Bertrumage

• Surrey
    • Omega 2.2CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2019, 11:39:49 »

Phantom sunroof is a well known thing on the Omega. But fairly easy to fix. There is a guide under maintenance section on her to fox it. Cleaning the switch mechanism. I did this myself on one of my Omegas many years ago and never had an issue since. As for the headlight/indicator issue i would try a new stalk. Easy to swap. Just remove plastic cowling around coloumn and the stalk just clips out. On the mirrors i would also try a new switch. If no obvious damage can be seen on the wiring from door to a-pillar.

Cheers! Off to the scrappy to find a stalk! The mirrors only want to go down, but to be fair the switch feels battered maybe il pick one up from the scappy whilst im there!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2019, 17:33:48 »

Use a new stalk, as they are all prone to the full beam issue with age.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2019, 19:08:46 »

I was going to say, if you're in the West bit of Surrey I'm sure I've got my original non-cruise stalk somewhere just over the border in Hampshire.

You'd be welcome to it even just as a stop gap.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

jefflem

• Netherlands
    • Omega Z22XE Elegance '01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2019, 08:31:01 »

...but theres also another noise the only way to discribe it is the sound of a dvd player trying to read a dodgy disc, except ive got the Cd/tuner/tape all switched off because it does not work.

Im not too fussed about the odd click or whatnot I was just curious to wherever it could be contributing towards the full beam/indicator problem.

Sounds like automatic ECC switching air vents, mine does too, no worries, same sound as my Vectra B did. Especially when it’s warm outside.

Regarding the first problem: dodgy indicator / full beam switch? That’s the first thing that pops up, have seen it a few times and not too long ago in my mum’s Tigra.. Indicators do not switch off automatically or whole switch is a bit loose. Try another switch, most likely it will fix your problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.