Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any views on the Honda Accord estate?  (Read 7364 times)

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
Re: Any views on the Honda Accord estate?
« Reply #30 on: 24 February 2020, 07:02:31 »

I passed my advanced driving test using the left foot to brake the auto Senator I had at the time :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 February 2020, 08:08:36 »

I passed my advanced driving test using the left foot to brake the auto Senator I had at the time :y

I did a speed awareness course years ago when you went out in a car. The instructor gave me the same BS about the possibility of pressing both pedals when he saw me left foot braking.

STEMO

« Reply #32 on: 24 February 2020, 11:00:21 »

People who use the correct method of one foot will continue to do so, as will people who use the wrong method. No use either trying to influence the other, really.  ;D
« Last Edit: 24 February 2020, 11:06:48 by STEMO »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 February 2020, 11:15:53 »

I don't think you can say that either is right or wrong. If people use the one that works best for them and they drive safely while doing so then there isn't a right or wrong way.
Modern F1 cars  only have two pedals, and some F1 drivers use one foot and others use both.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #34 on: 24 February 2020, 11:22:51 »

F1 drivers apart, one of the reasons I read why you shouldn't do it is because you risk giving the driver behind contra-indications by driving with your left foot slightly touching the brake pedal, thus putting your brake lights on. I don't expect that anyone on here would do that, I'm talking about mere mortals.

I know a driving examiner who walks his dog at the same time as me occasionally. I'll ask him what the situation regarding the automatic test is when I see him next.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 February 2020, 11:31:44 »

... I'll ask him what the situation regarding the automatic test is when I see him next.
He'll say the world will end if you use both feet  ::) ::) ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 February 2020, 11:41:27 »

I don't drive along with my left foot hovering over the brake pedal so that's not going to happen. Either way is perfectly fine, its just what you get used to I suppose.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

aaronjb

« Reply #37 on: 24 February 2020, 12:22:30 »

F1 drivers apart, one of the reasons I read why you shouldn't do it is because you risk giving the driver behind contra-indications by driving with your left foot slightly touching the brake pedal, thus putting your brake lights on. I don't expect that anyone on here would do that, I'm talking about mere mortals.

Extend that logic a bit and you'd be suggesting that everyone who drives a manual car must go through clutches every few thousand miles because they're always lightly touching the clutch, causing it to slip..

..that said, I've known a few women who habitually drove in six-inch heels who did exactly that, for exactly that reason..

STEMO

« Reply #38 on: 24 February 2020, 12:23:02 »

... I'll ask him what the situation regarding the automatic test is when I see him next.
He'll say the world will end if you use both feet  ::) ::) ;)
Have you caught the rolling eye smiley virus from Al?  ;D

He definitely won't say that, as it is obviously incorrect. He may say it's frowned upon or even a fail. He may say it's perfectly fine, we'll see.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2020, 12:24:50 by STEMO »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 February 2020, 12:25:22 »

lots of drivers already move their right foot onto the brake pedal enough to illuminate the lights, but not the brakes. The driver behind then has no indication when they actually begin to brake. This is particularly common when turning left: lift off, touch the brake pedal, indicate(sometimes), 3m later turn in, then stomp the pedal to the floor when they finally spot the other traffic in the turning.

STEMO

« Reply #40 on: 24 February 2020, 12:28:21 »

lots of drivers already move their right foot onto the brake pedal enough to illuminate the lights, but not the brakes. The driver behind then has no indication when they actually begin to brake. This is particularly common when turning left: lift off, touch the brake pedal, indicate(sometimes), 3m later turn in, then stomp the pedal to the floor when they finally spot the other traffic in the turning.
That, at least, is an indication that you intend to slow down. Brake lights while travelling along with traffic would give the wrong indication.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 24 February 2020, 18:14:29 »

But when you only have two pedals, which are never used at the same time, using both feet makes more sense.
Now that's not always true, and moreso now that just about everything is turbocharged.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #42 on: 24 February 2020, 18:44:44 »

I thought I'd try using two feet when I went out this aft, it felt really uncomfortable and just wrong. When I used my left foot for the clutch, it was always on the left hand side of the footwell. But with the brake pedal being more towards the middle, I felt the need to turn towards the drivers side window.  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 24 February 2020, 18:47:22 »

For all those against left foot braking  ..... have you tried pressing both pedals at the same time? If you have a fly-by-wire throttle (which most cars have these days) then you'll find that after a very short time, the throttle effectively gets switched off  ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 24 February 2020, 18:49:47 »

I thought I'd try using two feet when I went out this aft, it felt really uncomfortable and just wrong. When I used my left foot for the clutch, it was always on the left hand side of the footwell. But with the brake pedal being more towards the middle, I felt the need to turn towards the drivers side window.  ;D

when practising left foot braking ..... brake as you would normally do with your right, but cover the pedal with your left at the same time  :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.