Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vibration at speed and when braking  (Read 2313 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Vibration at speed and when braking
« on: 15 October 2007, 15:15:45 »

Hi All,

I have two problems now…

When travelling at 70mph or higher (ehem… a theoretical issue obviously) there is a slight vibration at the steering wheel. You can't actually see the steering wheel move if you look at it, but the feeling is similar to driving on a coarse surface. It isn’t too bad as such, but it wasn’t there before (and the M2 has only recently been resurfaced so it can’t be that… )

The second is that when braking hard from around 60mph (there are a lot of speed cameras on the A2…), there is a noticeable vibration in the car. It is felt through the steering wheel in a similar slight way as when driving at 70mph, but it mainly manifests itself in jerky movements of the auto shift gear lever. The lever rocks back and forth and does so in a much more noticeable way then the steering wheel.

The latter got me thinking that this is not simply a case of failed or perished suspension component, but perhaps an engine or gearbox mount, or even a combination of a failed mount and failed suspension component…

For the record, I had in the past vibration problems when braking, but this was far stronger than the current ones, and never while driving only when braking. In any case around 2k miles ago I replaced the front wheel bearings, brake discs and pads with original Vx items and the car was driving and braking perferctly and smoothly until now. So not sure if the current problem is related...

Getting under the car is not easy as I am parked in the street, so I would like to compile a check-list of all the usual suspects before crawling under the thing… so any suggestions will be appreciated.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Vibration at speed and when braking
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2007, 15:42:33 »

I just realised that JamesV6CDX's problem isn't too different than mine, see:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1192370547

James, do you sometimes get the vibration at braking as well, or just when driving?

Incidentally, my tyres have now done 25k miles and are down to 3mm (totally even wear, thanks to Tony WIM!), so while not in bad shape by any means they do need replacing. I wonder if this could indeed be a tyre-related problems as suggested by hotel21....

Alas, no more Omegas....

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2007, 15:44:55 »

I was occasionally getting a stronger shake under harsh braking conditions....

See my thread in general chat - I've fixed mine now...

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2007, 15:52:50 »

I have had something similar to you and i have found some play in the steering idler arm on the pass side. Tony at wim found it for me on sat morn. Check that for start :y
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2007, 16:10:11 »

I know tyres can go out of shape as they wear.  Maybe worth switching them out with the spare , one by one, and see if that affects things?    I'm not convinced that would cause the symptoms your getting but worth eliminating all the same.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2007, 16:33:27 »

I know tyres can go out of shape as they wear.  Maybe worth switching them out with the spare , one by one, and see if that affects things?    I'm not convinced that would cause the symptoms your getting but worth eliminating all the same.

On facelifts the spare is smaller than the rest of the tyres (though luckily not a space saver as such)... I got a brand-new never-used-once Michelin tyre in the boot which will eventually perish due to ageing.... :(
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2007, 16:39:47 »

I was occasionally getting a stronger shake under harsh braking conditions....

See my thread in general chat - I've fixed mine now...

Cheers James, just saw your tread... glad you got it sorted!  :y

Alas, no more Omegas....

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2007, 16:50:32 »

On facelifts the spare is smaller than the rest of the tyres (though luckily not a space saver as such)... I got a brand-new never-used-once Michelin tyre in the boot which will eventually perish due to ageing.... :(

Yep! I have got some spare wheels that are identical to mine but you can't fit one in the space provided in the boot 'cause they are too wide!!!

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2007, 16:52:12 »

b@gger.  Brings tears to your eyes - 100 quid or so of rubber just perishing.   My Elite has an unused Michelin on a steel wheel in the boot.  

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2007, 16:56:39 »

They will fit older lower-spec Omegas with steel wheels - perhaps we can find two more guys, then put together four new tyres and offer them for sale as a set?  ;D

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 October 2007, 16:57:57 »

Yep! I have got some spare wheels that are identical to mine but you can't fit one in the space provided in the boot 'cause they are too wide!!!

Elite = 245 on 7.5J
CDX = 225 on 7J

Maybe I will get lucky with mine and just about manage to squeeze in a standard CDX alloy in the boot....

Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2007, 17:21:20 »

I don't think anything wider than 205 will fit properly in spare wheel hole.  Certainly my tractor's 225 spare doesn't fit fully (the cover won't clip on)
Grumpy old man

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 October 2007, 17:27:44 »

They will fit older lower-spec Omegas with steel wheels - perhaps we can find two more guys, then put together four new tyres and offer them for sale as a set?  ;D

:DI'm sure someone would buy them on ebay.  Minimum of 9 year old rubber when you think about it though :(

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #13 on: 15 October 2007, 19:12:16 »

My orig steel spare, unused tyre, is sitting in my understairs cubboard......i threw it in there when it got in the way off the lpg tank   ;D :y

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 October 2007, 22:26:03 »

:DI'm sure someone would buy them on ebay.  Minimum of 9 year old rubber when you think about it though :(

...as the last Omega came off the line in 03, this makes it minimum 4 years? Mine is a 2001 so 6 years....
Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.