Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyres suitable for omega  (Read 21667 times)

05omegav6

Re: Tyres suitable for omega
« Reply #150 on: 22 May 2015, 07:13:13 »

A few psi does make a noticeable (to me) difference to the ride. Imagine what an extra~10psi feels like  :o
Like a go kart with body roll :D

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 22 May 2015, 10:07:43 »

I find go carts more compliant tbh. Even fully loaded  :-[ ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 22 May 2015, 21:22:55 »

Generally I start at 34 front, 30 rear, irrespective of 17" or 18", and then tweak from there.  Probably don't want to deviate outside that range by much, as underinflated can cause damage, overinflation wipes out any handling (and comfort).
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 22 May 2015, 21:35:21 »

Ah TB. Iirc you have some feedback on ...Nexen? Was it?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 22 May 2015, 21:44:36 »

Ah TB. Iirc you have some feedback on ...Nexen? Was it?
Nexen N6000?  Not had them over the life of a tyre though, as I wouldn't have been daft enough to buy them ;D

235/45/17 (owned from about 5mm to 3.5mm) - very good stability and a "nice ride". Makes the car a really nice cruiser. They really do. Quiet to. Wear rate looks reasonable too.

But absolutely shocking shite grip levels, wet or dry. Not the large difference between wet and dry, like you get with budgets. Just relatively poor grip under all conditions, long laterally and longitudinally.

They may be suitable for some under specific conditions, but absolutely not for spirited drivers.

Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 22 May 2015, 22:36:18 »

Even I don't like the grip offered by Nexens N6000. Perhaps on the 2.2 they would be fine, but with the 3.2's power delivery I can easily spin them up. Even leaving the car park, carefully!

Wear rate is poor too, 14k maybe? Pants!

least think it's 14, forget the miles on it when I bought it  :-[

Just ticked over on 150k

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 23 May 2015, 18:12:36 »

Even I don't like the grip offered by Nexens N6000. Perhaps on the 2.2 they would be fine, but with the 3.2's power delivery I can easily spin them up. Even leaving the car park, carefully!

Just ticked over on 150k
As yes, forgot you had them.  Mediocre grip aside, what do you think of them (from a stability, anti tramline, noise and ride comfort perspective)?
Grumpy old man

Vicar

• staffs border
    • 2.0 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 23 May 2015, 18:59:05 »

I shall add debica to the mix of things.
Budget brand and have found them very good in all weather. These are also a cheaper version of Goodyear.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 23 May 2015, 19:30:52 »

Just ticked over on 150k
As yes, forgot you had them.  Mediocre grip aside, what do you think of them (from a stability, anti tramline, noise and ride comfort perspective)?

I don't think I push it hard enough really, but noise wise they are reasonable and had no issues with tramlining

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 23 May 2015, 20:15:40 »

Dunlop sport mx rt
245 40 18
Lasted 12,500. The last 6000 or so where not particularly plesent regarding stability, still plenty of useable tread in the middle but the edges where shot, which would explNe the sometimes violent darting off line on the brakes, so I'd say, unacceptable towards the end of their life. Very good grip level though. Quieter than sc3.

So these RT's....

On grounds of stability. Recommended or not?

Personally, I'd say somewhere between no, to undecided.
They where along the lines of Falkens at the start of their life. Especially comparing them to the previous TT's. Immediately noticeably less stable, and also less so than my old sc3 mo, picking up on road imperfections and darting about a bit on uneven surfaces.

Not as bad as Falkens from new but getting that way. Obviously if that instability is there from new, then it can only get worse with wear. And they did get worse. After pondering for some time, given the violent darting off line under emergency braking and sometimes just normal braking..... Would I recommend these to another member with an omega? On 18's.... No I don't think I would tbh.

Not without a serious advisory anyway.

Good grip level. Quiet. But I think if I had these on the rear as well, it would be Falken territory. Maybe not as bad as I had with the 912's but I wouldn't want another member to suffer these tbh.

With spirited driving, on grounds of safety due to instability they really should be binned by half their life tbh. If Mrs Gixer drove the car and had to emergency brake on an uneven surface, I don't think she'd have the strength to keep it on line. :(

Please note;
18" wheels
245 40 18
« Last Edit: 23 May 2015, 20:17:30 by chrisgixer »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 23 May 2015, 20:42:46 »

I shall add debica to the mix of things.
Budget brand and have found them very good in all weather. These are also a cheaper version of Goodyear.
I've not tried them on an Omega. So my comments don't really count, but I have them on the battlebus and they have very low grip levels. Certainly not in the same league as premium or even mid-range tyres. Quite noisy as well.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 23 May 2015, 20:47:13 »

After pondering for some time, given the violent darting off line under emergency braking and sometimes just normal braking..... Would I recommend these to another member with an omega? On 18's.... No I don't think I would tbh.
This adds an extra complication. As whilst the current set I have aren't a patch on the set I had a couple of years ago, both grip and straight line stability, I most definitely am not see the "violent" direction changes under heavy braking, and would be unconcerned with Mrs TB had to do heavy braking in that car.

And you probably understand better than most what my idea of heavy braking is  :-[

235/45/17, need to check load index, but definitely not XL. 94/95.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #162 on: 23 May 2015, 20:54:47 »

Big difference between heavy braking from speed and "Ohshitwe'reabouttodie" panic braking imho...

Have yet to drive an Abs email equipped car that doesn't momentarily pull one way, left usually, when the pedal is applied in a panic at speed... :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 23 May 2015, 20:59:15 »

Big difference between heavy braking from speed and "Ohshitwe'reabouttodie" panic braking imho...

Have yet to drive an Abs email equipped car that doesn't momentarily pull one way, left usually, when the pedal is applied in a panic at speed... :-\
Is there?   :-[
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #164 on: 23 May 2015, 21:07:37 »

Braking from motorway ish speeds :-X to say a roundabout/traffic light is a relatively controlled and thought out process... Braking hard because some idiott has just joined lane 3 at 45 mph without warning/looking/caring is a panic reaction... The two are very different applications of the brakes even though the net result might be broadly similar ;)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.