Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A list of recommended parts  (Read 6615 times)

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
Re: A list of recommended parts
« Reply #30 on: 13 May 2015, 16:14:08 »

Here is another one then..... How long will i get out of a pair of wishbones from Vx if bought tomo

Not enough to warrant the ridiculous price. Hence the other options listed.

You seem sceptical Big? And note, not too many can be bothered to go through the ins And outs given the eons of online time discussing these. They are historical recommendations based on first hand experiences. That's all there is really. I can't answer all the questions as to why and wherefore other than, it's worked well for me and others
But be assured, I and most long term oof members wouldn't ever recommend something  that wasn't tried and tested.

I sort of did once, proclaiming Falkens to be good in some respects. What an oops up that was. ::) ;D luckily only I suffered from it as far as I know.

If your looking for cheap shite, ask for cheap shite recommendations. Then you'll get eBay, Ecp, etc ...although done options do work from there, but odds are...,

Moral is to ask on here imo. Or to save members banning out the same answers and then having to fight yo justify there reply each time, just read this thread.

See? :)
Sorry Not meaning to come over that way at all. :-[ :-[

On the first post i was Just Really asking Do Suspension/Steering part Deteriorate Depending on how the car is driven,Thinking surely it Does.
Weather being genuine or not.

And the reason for asking the wishbone one was:-There was a couple of posts on here some months ago,One was about buying Used Omegas.
And i remember Taxi Al pointed out that when buying a used omega, Once it gets to a certain amount of miles.. it enters into a window In which suspension parts are going to be needed.Think it was 60k.70k not sure.

And the other post was Where the op had put up a link of some new pattern part wishbones And was told they would be ok for 20K..
And my thoughts were,What a lot of trouble to go through Knowing that in about 20 Thousand miles time,It all wants doing again.

05omegav6

« Reply #31 on: 13 May 2015, 16:37:50 »

Yes but when you can buy two wishbones, two drop links and two track rods for little over a quarter of the price of ONE GM wishbone (£75 delivered for the last set purchased from ATP), safe in the knowledge that it will potentially last a third of the time for an eighth of the cost... it becomes much better value than you might think, hence the recommendation :y

Ah yes, but what about set up costs I hear you ask... There is a reasoned argument for having the geometry checked once a year regardless... although most people only bother after changing critical components...

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 May 2015, 16:45:30 »

Yes but when you can buy two wishbones, two drop links and two track rods for little over a quarter of the price of ONE GM wishbone (£75 delivered for the last set purchased from ATP), safe in the knowledge that it will potentially last a third of the time for an eighth of the cost... it becomes much better value than you might think, hence the recommendation :y

Ah yes, but what about set up costs I hear you ask... There is a reasoned argument for having the geometry checked once a year regardless... although most people only bother after changing critical components...
Putting that aside it does look like build you own method mentioned above looks a Nice way to go Knowing you are hopefully done for 60 000.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 May 2015, 16:51:43 »

I get you now  ::) ::) ..So fit the 20K junk..Then refurb your old wishbones

05omegav6

« Reply #34 on: 13 May 2015, 17:49:54 »

Assuming of course that they are in a fit state to refurbish, but yup :y

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 May 2015, 18:02:27 »

There's arguments, or rather various sides, to pretty much any aspect, or any part you care to mention.

But if you think I'm going into that each and every time there a quetsion on the ins and outs of a ducks arris Mr Bt, you are mistaken. That's what the search is for old boy! ;D

As said, there are reeeeaaams of conversations repeated over and over on the same old subjects. NOW, IF YOU WANT....! You could go find some, and post the links copied and pasted into the list in post 1. That would be helpful. I guess...?

What do you think? :)

...also, generally speaking, if there's a part here that turns out to be shite, oof members would very much like to know. As said about GM drop links earlier.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 May 2015, 18:08:35 »

Btw, cheapo bones are not constructed the same way as GM ones. For instance the inner circumference of the bush void metalwork is dove Tailed on the GM ones. The welding is better and more structurally supported.

This is NOT the case on the Atp ones and those of similar price. That's why they are cheaper. If refurbing, refurb the GM ones that come off if possible, or save those to be re furbed next time. But whatever you do, ffs dont bin them. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 13 May 2015, 18:35:52 »

Spark plugs I'd agree with, but other opinions vary...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=130106.msg1666211#msg1666211

I've used these NGK spark plugs for the last few years.  If you don't have TC then these are a good alternative at a decent price.   :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 May 2015, 18:42:24 »

I've used these NGK spark plugs for the last few years.  If you don't have TC then these are a good alternative at a decent price.   :y

I hope that price is for 6 Tigger! ;D

£74.88 on spark plugs? ...is a good price! :o Have you gone completely oppsing mental?

:o

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13 May 2015, 18:44:54 »

£74.88 on spark plugs? ...is a good price! :o Have you gone completely oppsing mental?

Of course!  ::)  I'm probably tighter than our Lord Opti!  ;)  but only through necessity you understand!  :'(  ;D

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 13 May 2015, 18:48:23 »

Of course!  ::)  I'm probably tighter than our Lord Opti!  ;)  but only through necessity you understand!  :'(  ;D

Out of interest, how much do you think GM plugs are ? Retail?

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 13 May 2015, 19:18:40 »

There's arguments, or rather various sides, to pretty much any aspect, or any part you care to mention.

But if you think I'm going into that each and every time there a quetsion on the ins and outs of a ducks arris Mr Bt, you are mistaken. That's what the search is for old boy! ;D

As said, there are reeeeaaams of conversations repeated over and over on the same old subjects. NOW, IF YOU WANT....! You could go find some, and post the links copied and pasted into the list in post 1. That would be helpful. I guess...?

What do you think? :)

...also, generally speaking, if there's a part here that turns out to be shite, oof members would very much like to know. As said about GM drop links earlier.
No Thanks  :y

driver115

• caistor lincolnshire
    • 3.2MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 13 May 2015, 19:24:12 »

many thanks for this info, will add it to the service schedule requirements list available in the guides section on this site :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13 May 2015, 19:33:36 »

About £2 per NGK plug, which is roughly what I expect to pay over the counter. It is about half retail, but who pays that?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13 May 2015, 20:59:15 »

Out of interest, how much do you think GM plugs are ? Retail?

Good question!  :y  I did buy GM plugs from the dealer once and they were £3.00 - £3.50 each IIRC but I'm not sure.  :-\  It was a long time ago and I've been happy with the NGK's  :y

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.