Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A tip for Omega V6 Aux Belts  (Read 4491 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
A tip for Omega V6 Aux Belts
« on: 19 May 2015, 02:39:06 »

The size you will be sold is 6Pk2020

They are, in my opinion, just a tad too tight. Indeed some pattern ones seem to strain the tensioner / max it out, which causes undue wear and noise from the aux belt

I have found a great workaround is to ask for a 6pk2050 belt instead. The extra 3cm on the belt makes all the difference, the tensioner sits nice and centrally, and it is much less strained/quieter (but still plenty taught enough, and properly tensioned)

Just my tuppence worth... :y

MV6Gaz

• Reading
    • 02 MV6 3.2 estate
    • View Profile
Re: A tip for Omega V6 Aux Belts
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2015, 08:00:55 »

Just about to replace mine, sounds like a useful tip, take it I should replace the tensioner at the same time?
Is there a recommended time/mileage schedule for replacement,and guess its worth carrying a spare?

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/drive-belt/contitech-6pk2050_g305_a0316PK2050.html
05 Volvo S80 D5, 98 V70 TDI, 99 V70 SE

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2015, 08:43:31 »

.....,and guess its worth carrying a spare?

Put the old one in the boot  :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2015, 08:55:26 »

Can't report on the 'book' time to replace the tensioner, however I felt there was a slight 'grumble' from my tensioner. Got one from a scrappy which span on my finger for 26 seconds. Took the old one off, and it span for....half a turn.  :o

So worth testing your tensioner whilst off - see how long it spins for and let us know. Swapping the whole belt over can be a bit of a faff, but if, at a later date you swap the tensioner over, that's really straightforward, as the belt's already correctly 'plumbed in' and nothing else needs to come off.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2015, 09:03:44 »

Cant see how a tensioner which is towards the end of its adjustment will be under any additional strain given its a clock spring type unit which applies a constant force over the full adjustment range (by design)  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2015, 09:05:32 »

Can't report on the 'book' time to replace the tensioner, however I felt there was a slight 'grumble' from my tensioner. Got one from a scrappy which span on my finger for 26 seconds. Took the old one off, and it span for....half a turn.  :o

So worth testing your tensioner whilst off - see how long it spins for and let us know. Swapping the whole belt over can be a bit of a faff, but if, at a later date you swap the tensioner over, that's really straightforward, as the belt's already correctly 'plumbed in' and nothing else needs to come off.  :)

Not a good test so beware, the tensioner pulley bearing should have some grease in it, if it spins for any length of time there will be none left!  :y

You should rotate it and feel for roughness in the race and listen for noise.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2015, 09:15:38 »

Ah, fair enough Mark,  :) To add to my previous post - the tensioner that came off sounded like a snoring pig "ruhruh...ruhruhhh..."with the odd grindy crunch... also you could feel points where it almost jammed. The new one is smooth and makes no noise.

May end up buying a brand new one which will then allow me a side-to-side comparison.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

MV6Gaz

• Reading
    • 02 MV6 3.2 estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2015, 09:56:35 »

.....,and guess its worth carrying a spare?

Put the old one in the boot  :y

Thanks but it is visible cracked so I have 2 coming via eBay for 26 quid, brand is Merle, made in Germany so hope quality is ok!
Will update on tensioner condition when job gets done, thanks to all for info guys :y
05 Volvo S80 D5, 98 V70 TDI, 99 V70 SE

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2015, 10:13:24 »

The tensioner is a long-lasting, reliable part whose life can be extended by occasional simple maintenance.

Or, if you're really worried about it, a new one is cost effective and is likely to last as long as the rest of the car.

Anyone who is paranoid enough to want a spare in the car should buy and fit a new one NOW and then worry about something important.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2015, 10:50:11 »

Ah, fair enough Mark,  :) To add to my previous post - the tensioner that came off sounded like a snoring pig "ruhruh...ruhruhhh..."with the odd grindy crunch... also you could feel points where it almost jammed. The new one is smooth and makes no noise.

May end up buying a brand new one which will then allow me a side-to-side comparison.

The key thing is that if you ge a smooth one which spins for a long time, add some grease!  :y

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2015, 10:59:04 »

Some belts do squeak. Or chirp. I think it's partly to do with Kevlar bead evident in the belt edge. Any other belt may not chirp. Could it be that that's the case with the shorter one?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2015, 12:41:14 »

The key thing is that if you ge a smooth one which spins for a long time, add some grease!  :y

Which is an easy job.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2015, 13:08:13 »

Does the bearing come apart easy enough, then? I considered doing that before fitting the new one, but it seemed like it was all pressed in at the factory and I'd risk bending it it I levered at it. If I'm being over-cautious then I'll have a stab this weekend  :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2015, 13:25:10 »

The bearing used is a 2RS type and the rubber seals can be eased out to allow grease to be added before refitting the seal.

Obviously this requires removal of the pulley but, that's only a single nut.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2015, 14:16:53 »

Much appreciated as always. It's been on the car for a matter of days, so will have a look this weekend.  :y

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.